UKC

Kandersteg Accommodation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jim Crow 30 Aug 2011
Can anyone suggest any cheap places to stay in or close to Kandersteg - hostel type with drying room?
 tobykeep 30 Aug 2011
In reply to Jim Crow:

The Gemmi Lodge used to be very good and cheap, but not been there for years now.
 inboard 30 Aug 2011
In reply to Jim Crow:
we stayed at Gemmi Lodge in 2009, it was fine.
Paul F 30 Aug 2011
In reply to Jim Crow:

I tried to book Gemmi for Feb 2011. Despite trying to book well in advance, they did not answer my e-mails except for a couple of weeks before i went to tell me they were full.
I'd booked other accommodation by then and stayed at www.chaletheimelig.com which is in the centre (Gemmi is miles out of town) The chalet cost four of us CHF 772.60 for 7 nights. roughly £20 a night, self catering.
I e-mailed tourist info info@kandersteg.ch letting them know what accommodation i wanted and they circulated it all places with vacancies. These places the E-mailed me back with offers and prices.
We flew to Geneva and caught a train to Kandersteg (excellent train service) as you don't need a car once you're there.
Further info on http://www.rock-ice.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1...
 stuart58 30 Aug 2011
In reply to Paul F: Just note 2 years ago swiss franc was 2.25 to the pound now 1.30 roughly

Jabbott 30 Aug 2011
In reply to stuart58: Yep, Switzerland is frigging expensive at the moment. We got 1.25 chf /£ in July, when paying CHF6.30 for a bottle of shite lager in the huts it really hits the pocket hard!

For basic accommodation try the International Scout Centre. The rooms in the new chalet are comfortable, not sure as to the existence of a drying room though (nothing on the website) as I've have not had to use one when been there in the summer and skiing!

www.kisc.ch Non scout price per night: Old chalet CHF23, New chalet CHF30

Cheers,
Jamie

petersheppard 01 Sep 2011
In reply to Jabbott:

Laundry and drying room in the basement of the old chalet. Plus a huge one at the back of the Kander-Lodge.
 Jabbott 01 Sep 2011
In reply to petersheppard: Cool, I knew the laundry was there but not the drying room. I must get out there on the ice at some point, looked pretty good from what we saw from the Oeschinensee cable car a couple of winters ago on my first ski trip!

Cheers,
Jamie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...