UKC

Lake District this weekend coming........

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Floydnuts 04 Feb 2013
Hi,
Does anyone know what the current conditions are like in the Lakes - 4 of us are out this w/e, Helvellyn, Pikes at least. Are the craggy bits and ridges covered in ice/snow, i.e. would crampons and axes be necessary or just take it especially carefully in key places? We're all pretty switched on and fairly experienced walkers. Cheers. Steve.
 jas wood 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Floydnuts: Way too early to give conditions info for the weekend. Kepp an eye on Weatherline website which will give a good indication of current conditions. Knowledge of what has happened in the preceeding days is good but ultimeately the conditions on the day are what counts most.
If in doubt take axe and poons and knowledge to use them when up high in winter.
Enjoy
OP Floydnuts 04 Feb 2013
In reply to jas wood: Thanks Jas. Might snow tomorrow which could stick around and drift higher up. Gonna be cold either way. Do you know a good place to hire poons and axes in Ambleside?
 Mountain Llama 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Floydnuts: try here Available from Outdoor Adventure Ambleside, 2 Compston Road, Ambleside: 015394 33826
 SeasonalDrip 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Floydnuts:
Obviously its a little too soon to say what it'll be like at the weekend but I was camped up on Helvellyn last Saturday. Conditions were really nice but not a great deal of snow on the ridge itself though, very mixed. I only used crampons + axe on the exit ramp (cramps probably weren't really necessary due to big steps cut by previous parties and pretty firm snow) . However on Sunday it warmed up a lot and saw some snow/rain through the night consequently it became very dangerous dropping onto swirral due to the melting slushy snow. Hope you have a good weekend.
 Tom the tall 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Floydnuts: New snow/sleet today in keswick, strong w winds, forecast cold overnight, though not sure how long temperatures will stay low.
 mheyes101 05 Feb 2013
i was over in Wasdale on the weekend and there was hardly any snow but we still took the crampons etc. looking over towards Helvellyn it looked like it had a good dollop of snow on the summit.
 Radioactiveman 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Floydnuts:

Been snowing a fair bit in kendal today,big flakes but not sticking . Feel sorry for the guy fitting my chimney liners !!
OP Floydnuts 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Mountain Llama: Cheers!
OP Floydnuts 05 Feb 2013
In reply to SeasonalDrip: Blimey, camped up on Helvellyn! Was the tent still there in the morning?
 Gael Force 05 Feb 2013
In reply to jas wood:
>If in doubt take axe and poons and knowledge to use them when up high in winter.

What are poons? Should I carry these up high in winter?
 emma7027 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Floydnuts:

There is a section on the Met Office Mountain Forecast which give information about the current ground conditions:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/mountain-forecast/#?tab=mountain...
paraffin 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Floydnuts:
see parallel & older thread
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=537034
 jas wood 08 Feb 2013
In reply to Gael Force: Feel free to use poons when high in winter !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...