UKC

Lakes over Christmas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gravy 20 Dec 2018

Am I correct in thinking there will be nothing frozen and no snow anywhere in the lakes over Christmas?

It looks mild and wet to me...

TobyA 20 Dec 2018
In reply to gravy:

I guess it depends on what you mean by "over Christmas", the forecast for the next five days is a bit pants, but confidence towards the end of that period will be lower so things could change. You might even be able to find one of the high ridges covered in snow during that time, Striding and Swiral can give a good winter scramble even if the turf isn't frozen. Worth watching https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcty5q7dp#?date=2018-1... and maybe subtracting a degree from the summit estimate to the height of the start of the ridge.

Jon Stewart 20 Dec 2018
In reply to gravy:

You're correct. It's mild and wet, no sign of a freeze. 

Billhook 21 Dec 2018
In reply to gravy:

This isn't the best web-site for weather forecasting.

Post edited at 07:22
 dominic o 21 Dec 2018
In reply to gravy:

If things do perk up you'll be able to check real time conditions here: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/lake-district-winter-conditions

This page provides temperature data live and direct from two of the Lake District’s most reliable winter crags – Great End and Helvellyn. The aim is to provide accurate information to winter climbers about current and historical temperatures to allow better decision- making before heading out for a winter climbing day in the Lakes.

Enjoy! 

olddirtydoggy 21 Dec 2018
In reply to gravy:

The problem is a lot of us have time off and are going mental just hoping for something to pop into condition. Whilst there are the odd winters where you might get a crack at the Lakes early it's often later in the season. Here I am stating the obvious, we all know it and TobyA's article on the front page pretty much nails it. I'm off now to stroke my ice axes........ precious....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...