UKC

Lakes tomorrow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Cowley 04 Dec 2012
Thinking of heading over the lakes tomorrow with a friend, got the day off!! Has anyone been there yesterday or today or know anyone that's been and got any idea of the conditions and best places to go red tarn/ great end/ scafell. Reckon the further east will be better. Any knowledge of the conds would be great thanks. Checked met office mountain weather and the freeze level is 500m today and 400m tomorrow so signs are good
 Exile 04 Dec 2012
In reply to David Cowley:

Sorry to pry but what sort of climbing / grade are you after?
OP David Cowley 04 Dec 2012
Probs a grade lll. Just bumping this up
 Exile 04 Dec 2012
In reply to David Cowley:

I'm in the south lakes at the moment and I don't think it's quite that cold, although still freezing up high I would guess. I was out on Sunday and conditions up high were good and I would think that this is still the case. In your position I'd look at something mixed; the obvious ones on Red Tarn face, (suspect it won't be that crowded mid week although I avoid on the weekend,) or something on Dollywaggon North, or Pinnacle Ridge on Gable. Brown Cove Crag had frozen turf but not much snow cover last Friday, but could be a bit better now as we've had some snow since then. Don't think you'll have much fun in a big gully at the moment; I wouldn't go to Great End.

Big health warning that this is my best guess from having been out on Sunday and having climbed in the Lakes for a while - NOT necessarily a sure thing.
 The Mole 04 Dec 2012
In reply to David Cowley: Was at Red Tarn Sunday. Did an easy Gully (Gully 2?) after ascending the Soutern flank of Nethermost Cove earlier in the day. Snow was beginning to consolidate in the upper 100 m but was for the most part pretty powdery. Turf was not frozen. It may have improved in the last couple of days, but it probably needs a bit longer yet really

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...