UKC

Lowest recorded turf temperature in cwm idwal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ewan Russell 19 Jan 2018

Hi, in the last 6 days the Cwm Idwal turf temperature at 850m has been consistently around the 0.05 to 0.5°C at all three depths. In the last few years has the turf temp actually dropped below 0 °C?

If not, why not?

Link here https://www.thebmc.co.uk/idwal

ianstevens 19 Jan 2018
In reply to Ewan Russell:

Because turf is slow to respond to changes in temperature, especially if it receives an input of groundwater. I suspect that the sensor is in such a location. In contrast, turf on the crag (no groundwater supply to small exposed patches) *tends* to be frozen, even when the sensor is reading 0.05 - 0.2C. As for below 5cm, it doesn’t really matter IMO, and even if it did it would take some exceptional weather in the UK to get turf to freeze down to 30cm!

jagster 19 Jan 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

I agree! I went climbing up brown cove crag the other weekend and got grief because the sensors didnt say it was frozen. Well i found plenty frozen turf! 

mick taylor 19 Jan 2018

I'll give it two more seasons before all these sensors are removed - waaay too many anomolies for them to be of any use in assessing frozen turf on routes (see other Lakes threads on similar).

Misha 19 Jan 2018
In reply to mick taylor:

It’s a pretty useful indication though. The air sensor is also important. 

John Kelly 19 Jan 2018
In reply to mick taylor:

It's like most data it needs interpretation, if you want a 'climb now/don't climb now ' sensor this isn't it, doesn't mean it's not helpful, it will become more helpful as we see how conditions corrolate with the numbers 

David Cowley 19 Jan 2018

Had the exact thoughts and conversation about these on the great end thermometers in a orevious thread

danm 19 Jan 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

> It's like most data it needs interpretation, if you want a 'climb now/don't climb now ' sensor this isn't it, doesn't mean it's not helpful, it will become more helpful as we see how conditions corrolate with the numbers 

Indeed. I'm assuming that everyone who has complained on here about the sensor accuracy has filled in the feedback form, to help with correlation?

JohnBson 19 Jan 2018
In reply to danm:

Didn't know there was one. Interesting though I will use it. Using the data of temperature will only work if it is correlated with real climbing experience. Problem is who would ever want to take the time to do that.

Realistically the only way to know is to put an axe in and see if your stick is good, if its not and your route climbs through sensitive areas then back off, individuals judgement in the moment will always be key. Unfortunately all climbing damages the rock/turf, luckily most climbers are perceptive to this as they have a greater affinity to rock than the general public.

summo 19 Jan 2018

If there are no heavy frosts before snow, the snow can then insulate the earth below and freezing takes significantly longer. 

static266 24 Jan 2018

The lowest I’ve seen 5cm turf go is 0.00 which has been on a few occasions including Friday Saturday last week. I had frozen turf and ice above 800m then. I have started looking at turfy routes when the sensor goes to around 0.20 degrees and yes the air temperature is really useful. 

Root1 24 Jan 2018

If the turf on your route is exposed to the wind it will freeze way faster than a sensor thats not in the wind.

ianstevens 24 Jan 2018
In reply to JohnBson:

> Didn't know there was one. Interesting though I will use it. Using the data of temperature will only work if it is correlated with real climbing experience. Problem is who would ever want to take the time to do that.

Perfect task for an undergraduate geography dissertation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...