UKC

Macgillycuddys Reeks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 danny269 09 Mar 2013
I'm heading over to Ireland w/c 18th March and was looking for current info on the route conditions in the Reeks ~ in particular whether they are still/will most likely be in winter conditions around that time?
 goatee 09 Mar 2013
In reply to danny269: No snow or ice left now.
 cookieman 12 Mar 2013
In reply to danny269: snow all week + 80mph wind perfect time for The Howling to come into condition
 Billhook 13 Mar 2013
In reply to danny269:

I lived within an hours drive of the Reeks for over ten years. I never managed a visit when there were conditions good enough for what you would classify as 'winter climbing'. Sure they got snow but it never ever lasts for long (sometimes just an afternoon, sometimes a week) due to the proximity of the sea and the gulf stream and thus never did I come across consolidated snow.

That said it may well be mild and if its not too wet and you can find it, there are some excellent ridges on Carrauntoohill around 1000ft and well worth doing. Howling ridge is one!
 goatee 14 Mar 2013
In reply to danny269: Perhaps it might be worth bringing the equipment after all. These pics from Carrauntoohil yesterday. I would forget about Howling Ridge though. It is nowhere near in winter nick.https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.522836057759323.1073741826.100000...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...