UKC

mam tor gully

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Peakpdr 21 Jan 2018

Anyone know if the gully is in condition ? cheers

TobyA 21 Jan 2018
In reply to Peakpdr:

I very much doubt it but people do seem to have different views of what "in condition" means! 

Loads of snow (snowing in Sheffield right now), but turning to rain. I suspect that's one of the more probable places to go in the Peak if you were trying to get avalanched today.

mrphilipoldham 21 Jan 2018
In reply to Peakpdr:

I think it needs a prolonged period of cold to freeze the face together, as much as any decent snow cover. Of which we've had neither.

hbeevers 21 Jan 2018
In reply to Peakpdr:

We were there yesterday walking and though there was some snow cover, it's all too soft. Definitely not cold enough to harden up.

Offwidth 21 Jan 2018
In reply to TobyA:

The gully is climbable at any time by the easiest line. It's just lose and unpleasant when not frozen. The harder lines to the right need a very hard frost to be anything like safe and sadly they thaw out fast in any sun.

alx 21 Jan 2018
In reply to Peakpdr:

Hi All, the deep snow was freezing solid as I walked off the top of Bleaklow at sunset yesterday. It was absolutely Baltic, fog on my glasses was freezing up and my waterproof overtrousers froze solid!

www.skypix.info webcam of Mam Tor looks pretty heinous right now!

FBSF 21 Jan 2018
In reply to Peakpdr:

Done it a few times over the last few years and it maybe might of been ok first thing this morning, the snow is falling hard in the peak at the moment and its not cold enough now. Also its warming up quite dramatically as we go into evening. 

Iain Thow 21 Jan 2018
In reply to Peakpdr:

Was up that way this morning and it would have been fine, as would Spare Rib, there was a good frost up here last night (I live at nearly 400m). The RH side has much less cover (and has more shale and less turf so freezes less readily) but the far RH scoop might have been ok, there have been freezes the last 3 nights and cover since monday. There is plenty of snow in the gully and a fairly chunky cornice. It snowed heavily late morning and is getting warmer so I definitely wouldn't do it now. It does avalanche, as I found out to my cost a few years ago - managed to roll out of it and get out leftwards (through an 8 foot cornice!)

Iain Thow 22 Jan 2018
In reply to TobyA:

There's a huge pile of avalanche debris in the narrow bit of the gully this morning, looks like that big cornice went with a bang!

TobyA 22 Jan 2018
In reply to Iain Thow:

Feeling smug now that I called it! I trust no one was anywhere close... Would have been minging yesterday anyway.

d_b 22 Jan 2018
In reply to Peakpdr:

Having only climbed it in summer for the "on peak rock" tick I think it might be a bit cold

Iain Thow 22 Jan 2018
In reply to TobyA:

I know a couple of people who did it yesterday morning, middle in good nick, powdery low down and at the cornice. By late morning it would have been pretty dodgy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...