UKC

Manta or ribelle for Scottish winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I am looking to invest in a pair of good winter boots mainly for Scottish winter walking with a look to develop it in to more serious terrain. I am currently deciding between the manta and the ribelle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Frankmorgan 09 Feb 2023
In reply to matthew_paraclimbing:

If you are thinking of getting into actual climbing the mantas would be better, the ribelles are rated b2 but aren’t quite as stiff so work better with a crampon with a more flexible flex bar which aren’t as good for climbing. 

Which Ribelle model are you looking at? They're an impressive high tech range but the days I want to wear mine in Scotland are quite specific. Lovely and light and would definitely be better for scrambling, or use year round; in winter mine are used most for sunny fast moving days.

Mantas are heavier and more traditional, but also warmer, more supportive and more protective. In full on winter weather, wet conditions, or significant winter mountaineering I'd say Mantas win. I think they're the better all-purpose walking-into-easy climbing winter option for most people in Scotland. They'd be awful in summer though.

I think Mantas are a bit stiffer but still enough flex for comfy walking. In my larger size (with increased leverage) there's more give than a shorter boot would have, and size depending that may affect how steep you'd want to climb in them. For me they're ideal for winter walking, through to grade I gullies and classic grade II ridge traverses. Anything more sustained, steeper or more technical and I'd be wanting a full B3. I'm sure there are others who'd climb harder in them, but I wouldn't choose to.

Reviews...

Current Manta Tech GTX

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/footwear/mountain_boots/scarpa_manta_tec...

Older Ribelle Lite https://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/footwear/mountain_boots/all_round_b1-b2_...

Old Ribelle Mtn Tech https://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/footwear/mountain_boots/scarpa_ribelle_m...

Above all else though, a boot is only any good if it fits you well enough to comfortably wear all day. You'll need to try them both on (plus whatever other brands/models available) if you haven't already.

Post edited at 19:47
 Kalna_kaza 09 Feb 2023

I've got Mantas and Ribelle lites. Both are great boots but the Ribelles for me are purely for winter Munros and perhaps the odd summer scramble.

I don't climb any hard grades not have large feet so flex wise they are ok but probably are a bit too flexible for most. My main issue for winter climbing is that my feet would get too cold on belays.

The mantas are a better all rounder but you notice the extra weight towards the end of the day on the walk out.

angry pirate 09 Feb 2023
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

This!

My Ribelles are really comfy and light and handle crampons well. I love them for winter hill walking / scrambling / grade I ridges and the like. They are, however, not very warm and if I'm standing around or on slower, more technical terrain, I get chilly feet.

I rate them as they are summer boots that will take a semi-rigid step-in crampon that also fits my b3 insulated boots so I don't need to own or pack multiple crampons for multiple boots.

CurlyStevo 09 Feb 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I think B2 is fine way past II depends on your weight and the actual boot ofc. I've seen mantas go up to V no problem with C2 crampon on ice, that's with a mid weight tall male. Its around WI 4 or Scottish V or so I think B3 really comes in to its own. B3 ofc isn't a constant some are quite flexible (like the modern scarpas more so the non leather ones) and others not at all like plastics et, same goes for B2 etc

Post edited at 22:32
 CurlyStevo 09 Feb 2023

I'd go for a B2 as that will cover you as well as any other option up to around grade IV which sounds like what you plan to do with them but are still really good for walking in. If you just want to get one set of crampons I'd go for a G12 style with the plastic toe basket but more mountaineering style front points than the G10. which will be great for you up to around that grade. B3 do vary in flexibility but in general are much harder on the feet for walking in most people.

Post edited at 22:39
 Ben Callard 10 Feb 2023

I've been trying to make the same decision as to where the balance is between comfy for walking and maybe some summer mountain use, and winter walking/easy routes. So far the Scarpa Charmoz holds the most appeal, although as with the Ribelle it wouldn't be so good for hanging about on belays if you end up pitching. 

olddirtydoggy 10 Feb 2023

Cost and durability could be a consideration. I've gone down the lighter B2 route and ended up back at the heavier Mantas as they last longer.

French Erick 20 Feb 2023
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Was the person doing grade IV/V in B2/C2 a novice trying to break into the sport? I would be wary of “advising” such expectations.

Clearly few of us ever outreach our kit. I am sure Greg Macinnes can climb grade VII with straight shaft axes and 12 points dual front crampons… but most of us can’t.

To OP, cold feet can really spoil your day.  

beardy mike 20 Feb 2023
In reply to French Erick:

To be fair I think all of this depends on the crampon chosen and the boot chosen. IMO the descriptions are not really fit for purpose. I have used a B2 Scarpa Triolet as my main boot for many years climbing to WI 4+ in them. I am a 4 times a year ice climber, so nothing special. The crampons used were G14s, so a quite rigid B2. Personally I would focus on the materials used for the upper, I.e. warm and waterproofish, ankle flexability which makes for walking comfort and climbing dexterity, and a good fit. Whether it's a B2 or B3 will imo at a beginners grade, be largely irrelevant, especially if the matching crampon has a stiff forefoot. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...