UKC

mono point or dual point

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dregsy 16 Jan 2013
Just starting out in the winter climbing world after years of thinking about it but a distinct lack of opportunity till now. I bought a pair of old mountain technology crampons that came mono but with a little box to convert to dual which I did. I've done a couple of winter routes but I'm wondering if I should have left them as they were. The climbing I'll be doing is Lakes and Scottish mixed.

Cheers in advance Dregsy
 The Grist 16 Jan 2013
In reply to dregsy: mono the whole way for me. I like the fact the crampon will not walk itself off a small edge and you can be more precise with the foot placement. But I climb with a friend on ice who tends to use dual points. I think for mixed most people prefer mono. For ice some people prefer dual.
 Jamie B 17 Jan 2013
In reply to dregsy:

Monos on rocky mixed all the way for me, for the reasons described.

On ice it's less clear-cut and will depend on the solidity of the ice and the quality of the secondary points. Some crampons have more agressive secondaries than others and this extra contact feels more reassuring to me. On cruddy or soft snow-ice I'd go for duals every time, ideally old-style flat front-points.
 Exile 17 Jan 2013
In reply to dregsy:

Monos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...