UKC

Much snow left in the NW Highlands?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Sansum 04 May 2017
I'm heading out on a wilderness walk in the far north-west highlands starting on Saturday, and am just wondering what the conditions are like up there currently? I am aiming to climb Ben Stack and Foinaven as part of the route. I'm not planning to take crampons/axe, but I remember getting shut down by snow and having to turn around 3 times on a walk in the NW around this time of year a few years back, so figured it would be worth asking folk on the ground up there if they know anything!

Thanks for any info,

Chris
 Michael Gordon 04 May 2017
In reply to Chris Sansum:

You won't have any problems there.
drmarten 04 May 2017

I was up Ben Stack on Monday, and did several other hills over a couple of days. I was about to say there was no snow remaining but I remember a few small patches still hanging on.
Remember and take some sun cream
 jpicksley 04 May 2017

I was north of the A86 yesterday not far from the Creag Meagaidh area and sunburn was a far greater risk than any remaining snow patches. I wouldn't be taking crampons and ice-axe.
 pebbles 04 May 2017

we were in Torridon last weekend chris and while there were snow patches around it was all pretty soft, and mostly easily avoidable at that. I carried axe and crampons up slioch and regretted the weight, didnt bother at all on beinn allighan.
Footloose 04 May 2017

There's nothing up there at all apart from a few streaks of snow in gullies - no need for ice axe or crampons. We've had several weeks of summer sun in Assynt already.
OP Chris Sansum 04 May 2017

Thanks all, sounds great! Just need the sun to last for another week...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...