UKC

NE Ridge of Aonach Beag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stratandrew 19 Mar 2018

I can't see any recent logs for NE Ridge of Aonach Beag, has anyone been out that way in the last 72 hours? what is cover like on the ridge? anyone got a photo? Thanks

Captain Solo 20 Mar 2018
In reply to stratandrew:

Take this with a pinch of salt as I have no first hand knowledge but given the huge coverage of consolidated snow across Scotland to relatively low levels I would say conditions would be very good if it remains cold.

Thomas Jones 20 Mar 2018
In reply to stratandrew:

No photos but we were up there on Sunday but decided against it (from the aonach beag, aonach mor col) due to high winds.

Ridge looked to be plastered with snow at all levels, although we could only see the leeward side of the ridge. Great neve everywhere, looks like a great route.

The North face was plastered with snow but there looked to be a lot of thick blue ice drooling down all the main lines which I guess will be great after a decent thaw (and refreeze).

Hope this helps.

Post edited at 13:38
In reply to stratandrew:

It's well over a month ago that I did it, so can't comment on current conditions - however when it comes to "turning the pinnacles on the right", it's not entirely obvious. Keep looking over your left shoulder as you probably attempt to regain the ridge pretty quickly, after perhaps only 10-20 metres.

I traversed far too far. I found another team's abseil anchor after perhaps a hundred metres and from checking the UKC logbooks (after the fact) it seems it's a fairly common mistake.

I eventually regained the ridge via a steep turfy chimney which was decidedly not grade III.

Anyway, good luck.

Euge 21 Mar 2018
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

I think I made this mistake as well...  had to make some sketchy moves over a slabby slope to get to the chimney!!!

Euge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...