Loading Notifications...

Netherlands-based winter climbers?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 ndakota 19:05 Fri

I'm moving to Eindhoven, and I've seen the Alps are not that far. I could drive south on a Friday night and get back home in the earliest hours of Monday, kind of following the footsteps of Fowler, Saunders, etc. In your opinion, would this be feasible? I think it is not that different than going from London to Scotland.

Are there any Netherlands-based winter climbers these days that are doing the same?

I guess flying could be an option, but it's a faff to drive to the airport, wait for your (sometimes delayed or even cancelled) flight, check-in your crampons and ice tools, waiting for them, renting a car.. I think it's just easier to drive.

Thoughts?

David Myatt 14:47 Sat
In reply to ndakota:

I wouldn’t do it but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done. It did do Darmstadt to Cham return one summer weekend, going up MB de Tacul on the Sunday and the drive back was hard work and I was in my late 30s then and fairly used to lots of driving. Eindhoven is considerably further north. Also, German motorways are now often clogged with jams. The section around Karlsruhr is particularly prone, so driving times are a lottery.

cheers, David

Jonny 17:08 Sat
In reply to ndakota:

That's a good 8-hour drive to the nearest significant climbs. You'd have to leave mid afternoon, drive down, perhaps walk an hour in the dark before bivvying, get a modest amount of sleep before rising early, do your climb over the course of the next 30 hours or so, then drive back before getting another modest night's sleep before whatever you do on Monday.

Sounds like the kind of thing I'd be up for now and then, but definitely not every weekend. Factor in David's considerations and you may decide you prefer to spend those 20 hours in the car doing something else. Find someone similarly nuts, though, and these things are always a blast.

alexm198 22:09 Sat
In reply to ndakota:

You're right, it's no worse than London to Scotland, realistically. I have done both many times (not from the Netherlands, but regularly Munich to Chamonix). 

That said, it's not the sort of thing that is doable very weekend. I honestly don't know how Fowler and co managed the infamous 11 weekends in a row. Maybe it's doable if you have people to split the driving with. 

I'm not Netherlands-based but I'm looking for new alpine partners so if you want to meet up with a comparable driving handicap, let me know!

Doug 07:57 Sun
In reply to ndakota:

I don't know any Netherlands based climbers but know of people in Brussels who drive to the Alps for a weekend (try looking for the guy who posts here as Carless). Must be a similar distance.

The nearest I've done was the occassional weekend (skitouring rather than winter climbing) from Nancy (easten France) which seemed far enough & is a few hours south of you. I quickly decided I'd rather use a day or 2 of leave and go for 3 or 4 day weekends. From Nancy we tended to go to the Oberland as that was the closest.

Tom Last 08:16 Sun
In reply to Jonny:

“Find someone similarly nuts, though, and these things are always a blast.”

I agree. I’ve done similar in that I’ve done Friday evening to Monday morning trips to Scotland from Cornwall a number of times, including winter trips to Lochaber for NE Buttress on The Ben, Torridon for Beinn Alligin and Liachach traverses (massive piss up in between on the Saturday night) and on the most ridiculous occasions Skye Ridge winter (though not surprisingly unsuccessful at full traverse) and one time up near Ullapool for Fiddler’s Nose and Ardmair (summer). Similarly I’ve done Cornwall to The Peak and The Lakes there and back in a day loads of times.

I can’t comment on The Alps, but what I would say is that in the couple of days immediately preceding these trips I’ve always wondered what the hell was I thinking but from the moment I get in the car, psyched out of my mind with some other idiot, I’ve never regretted them and they’ve always been absolutely brilliant. For me, these trips have been amongst the most memorable and strangely successful that I’ve ever done; though maybe I just got lucky. Enjoy and good luck! 

Post edited at 08:18

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.