UKC

No winter climbing - what are you doing instead?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil Lyon 13 Feb 2019

It doesn't look like there'll be much winter climbing going on in the next couple of week looking at the forecast. So what will you be doing instead?

I'm clearly looking for ideas as I've got time booked at half term for winter climbing but not looking good.

DaveHK 13 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Drinking heavily.

jonnie3430 13 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Climbing, Creag Bheag today, Logie head tomoz!

mrphilipoldham 13 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Rock climbing?

Billhook 13 Feb 2019
 JohnnyW 13 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Cycling in Mallorca....second time in three months....lovely!

OP Phil Lyon 13 Feb 2019
In reply to Billhook:

interesting, like orienteering for super-techno-geeks?

Simon Caldwell 13 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Hill walking, running, maybe some rock climbing if I can be bothered.

tingle 13 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Booked to go winter climbing soooooo running in fort William? 

Misha 13 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Going to the wall. Working. Reading the news about Brexit.

wercat 13 Feb 2019
In reply to Billhook:

well my learning Arduino project is directed at a digital VFO to replace a broken synth in a Clansman.  That'll keep me away from trouble for a bit

Climbpsyched 13 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Cheap flight abroad and embrace the sunshine!  

beardy mike 13 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Winter climbing of course. Or is living in the middle of the Dolomites surrounded by in condition ice falls cheating?

ChrisBrooke 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

From the looks of the forecast I’ll be bouldering several times a week on sunny Peak gritstone. Wahoooooo!!

Jamie Hageman 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Hillwalking - some mention of temp inversions and the tops being above the clouds - hooray!

Hat Dude 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

I'm here a week now, waiting for a route, getting softer. Every minute I stay in this room I get weaker. And every minute the Ben squats in the hills he gets stronger.

BrownJames 14 Feb 2019

I am inerested in winter climbing and feeling excited for this.

Post edited at 09:38
 BnB 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Hat Dude:

> I'm here a week now, waiting for a route, getting softer. Every minute I stay in this room I get weaker. And every minute the Ben squats in the hills he gets stronger.

Such is my appreciation of your reference to my favourite film, that I've been playing around with a pun on dangerous "slopes". But I'm so paralysed by political correctness that I'll just raise my hat to you.

Babika 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Expensive flight abroad and embrace the sunshine 

Jackob 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Hopefully winter climbing. Come on its only february!

Jamie Hageman 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Jackob:

Yep, plenty of snow on the Ben/Aonachs N to E faces.  Just need a good freeze and some more snow and we're back in business.  I did the Allt a' Mhuilinn horseshoe this morning and didn't get a view, despite the forecast saying highest tops above the cloud.  Damn it Geoff Monk!  Very soggy snow in places and didn't stop raining.  Type 2 fun.

Jackob 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

Good man for getting out! 

Looks like things could be okay on the ben again early next week!

Simon Caldwell 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Jackob:

... But only for a day or two 

In reply to Phil Lyon:

My normal optimism about the weather is on the wane at the moment. This weather pattern is exactly thatwhich occurred in September and October - lasted for almost 2 months then- at least up here in NW Highlands. Looks like thawing in most places until end of February - maybe an improvement in March for a wee while? - which doesn't leave much of winter. Apart from a short spell in December. winter for me this year started on 15th January and finished on Monday 11th February - it was good while it lasted but way too short. 

Michael Gordon 14 Feb 2019
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Yes, with this long thaw it's looking like one of the poorest Februarys of recent years.

nuts and bolts 14 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Well I have virtually given up on my ski touring plans and will be climbing at Stanage Friday, Roaches Saturday and Avon Gorge Sunday. Season starts here!

Misha 15 Feb 2019
In reply to Jackob:

> Hopefully winter climbing. Come on its only february!

Yeah. Only February and conditions are like November. By that measure, we still have at least 4 months of winter to go

Mr. Lee 15 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Even in the Southern half of Norway the extended forecast is plus degrees everywhere, at least until next weekend. It could be the season killer for me, given anything steep is going to get trashed. I'm off rock climbing this weekend wtf.

J Whittaker 15 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Dry tooling to get strong for winter 19/20

Andrew Wilson 16 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Climbing on grit with the kids today. 

Replenishing my brownie points. 

Waiting.

Caving. 

Maybe tooling. 

Mountain biking. 

Jackob 17 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

I have now come to accept winter is over. Time to see what all the fuss about the rock climbing in n wales is about i guess!

Andy Hardy 17 Feb 2019
In reply to Thread:

My fault I'm afraid chaps and chappesses. I bought a new coat for winter which has angered the weather gods.

Sorry, won't do it again

Fiona Reid 17 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Lots of hill walking to keep fit and the odd trip to the indoor wall where I'm now running out of routes to do thanks to two weekend visits recently.

I'm hoping the snow returns so I can get some skiing or more climbing done but if it doesn't then we'll just do some bonkers hill days with a view to a perhaps trying a second Cuillin traverse should the weather gods play ball in the spring.

Mike-W-99 17 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

I mowed the lawn.

Jamie Hageman 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

What am I doing instead?  Nothing. 

Waiting for more snow, waiting for the temps to drop.

I'm a miserable sod and nothing will perk me up so just back off and leave me alone.

IM 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> My fault I'm afraid chaps and chappesses. I bought a new coat for winter which has angered the weather gods.

> Sorry, won't do it again

Could be my fault; I got a set of new axes....

Offwidth 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Woodhouse Scar was in great nick yesterday. Routes and bouldering and less litter than usual (often it's biggest problem). You can be on a line in 15 minutes from the M62, away from rush hour traffic. Pretty much all the quick drying shelted winter venues should be on the radar. In the Peak: Wharncliffe... Rivelin..., Cratcliffe etc. Think early spring conditions.

skellymax 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

Bought some new ice picks for the Nomics and started an allottment.

Patrick Roman 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Currently sitting in my friend’s apartment in Stockholm opposite the Hammarbybacken ski slopes watching the slalom skiers practice on a very thin covering of snow for tomorrow’s World Cup race...

nuts and bolts 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

I wouldn't totally give up on winter yet though - the best conditions on The Ben are usually late March and April.

I have done Indicator Wall in perfect conditions in the second week of May (although I can't see that this season)

In reply to nuts and bolts:

Unfortunately, there has been no build up this year, just like last season too. I don't hold much hope for thin face this year....

Stuart

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...