UKC

Nomic wobbly head

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davkeo 18 Feb 2018

So one of my nomics has succumbed to the wobbly head syndrome, as of yesterday. The timing is quite inconvenient (is it ever not) as I'm in Austria with plenty of ice climbing options all around. None of the outdoor shops here seem to stock nomics so I'm tempted to just keep climbing with it until I can try repair or replace it. 

My question is has anybody continued to climb with an axe/s with this problem? The pick shift is less of a concern to me on pure ice but I'd like to have some confidence that the bugger isn't gonna totally fail! I suspect it won't and some experience from users might offer reassurance or otherwise.

Thanks

Post edited at 11:46
 Roberttaylor 18 Feb 2018
In reply to davkeo:

One of mind has just started to creak, the culprit being can opener moves on Top Gun. 

Unless it's practically hanging off I suspect you will be OK to just keep climbing on it, especially as it's on ice. I've seen a guys tools (he's climbing pretty hard mixed routes) with about half an inch of movement in the head (I kid you not, they horrified me) and they were still holding out.

Mr. Lee 18 Feb 2018
In reply to davkeo:

My last Nomics were loose enough to be making a knocking sound on the backswing before I replaced them [with a different model of axe]. I could have safely climbed with them longer but it didn't install confidence on marginal edges when the pick moved upwards each time when weighted.

Ramon Marin 18 Feb 2018
In reply to davkeo:

I’ve used mine with a wobbly/crealy head for years until i got around drilling the second rivet. You’ll be fine. 

niallsash 18 Feb 2018
In reply to davkeo: stop bloody Climbing so much maybe

Misha 19 Feb 2018
In reply to niallsash:

Don’t you mean stop climbing like a bloody punter

OP davkeo 20 Feb 2018
In reply to davkeo:

Thanks for the replys. 

Misha to do that I'll need to ignore Niall's well considered advice and climb more. 

Post edited at 19:38

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...