UKC

Options for Scottish winter routes next few days

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mikebridge 11 Feb 2018

Heading to Glencoe tomorrow (12th feb) until Wednesday. Weather looks grim. Any suggestions for viable routes given the conditions or areas that might be better to head to (i.e east to the Cairngorms)?

Could curved ridge be a sheltered option?

Sophie G. 12 Feb 2018
In reply to Mikebridge:

A quick look at MWIS suggests that the weather is coming from the west, so you should get in the rain-shadow by heading as far east as you can. It looks like Monday and Tuesday (today and tomorrow) will be fine in the east, cold and snowy, maybe even with sunshine, but a bit windy. Wednesday's not looking great anywhere. I don't always recommend Clova or Lochnagar, but on this occasion I think I do

Al_Mac 12 Feb 2018
In reply to Sophie G.:

Careful on east facing slopes in there at the moment, there was a noticeable build up of wind slab by mid-afternoon yesterday on the exit from Corrie Farchal with increasing wind coming in over the tops too. Some fairly sizeable cornices looked like they were building over on the Winter Corrie and Corrie Fee too.

lithos 12 Feb 2018
In reply to Cloverleaf:

was anything forming/in nick there ?  Will be heading that way at end of week & Weekend

Al_Mac 12 Feb 2018
In reply to lithos:

We did Silver Threads among the Gold (IV 5) which was in really nice mixed conditions. Dry rock and snow at the base moved through deep powder in the middle and topped out on ice. It's forecast to stay cold but being east facing I suspect that it'll be consolidating down quite nicely as it was catching the sun well yesterday. The snow level was below the corrie rim.

lithos 12 Feb 2018
In reply to Cloverleaf:

thanks, looks good

Sophie G. 13 Feb 2018
In reply to Cloverleaf:

It's nice to see our route getting so much traffic... It is a belter. Good name, too

Post edited at 11:22
 Stopsy 16 Feb 2018
In reply to Mikebridge:

Anyone been up to glen Clova in the past few days ? Wondering if anything will be in nick, freezing levels hovering about crag level?

Cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...