/ Options in glen Coe / Ben Nevis for this weekend
Typical, as we approach the first weekend I'm free to do something winters inscotland (9 hr drive each way!) since having kids the weather forecast is looking nasty.
The aim had been to do aonach eagach but the winds look too high.
considering there has been a steady amount of snow and mainly sub zero I'm figuring there hasn't been enough freeze thaw cycles and likely to be a fair whack of powder.
assuming you agree aonach eagach is off, what other suggestions would likely be safer in higher winds.
im thinking CMD arête, golden oldie on aonach mor (is it known for cornices?)
any ideas or do you think aonach eagach is still an option?
many thanks in advance for your input.
If the gondola runs golden oldy would be fine re cornices as it rarely if ever has one
Just done the east ridge on Beinn a Chaorainn today. Should be sheltered from SW but descent would be a bit wild and windy.
Same here! Have a friend driving up from Leeds and it looks horrid. Plan was for Ledge Route, which may still be okay with the number 5 gully dodge. Suspect it may be Carn Dearg Meadhonach East Ridge now. Will be hideous up top.
Head east instead? Sounds slightly less minging.
Weather is looking better as each day goes past. We are thinking of heading west to east instead, is the a reason everyone seems to do east to west on aonach eagach?
thanks all for the suggestions!
Obviously not advisable in those sorts of winds if they come to pass, but Aonach Eagach was in great condition yesterday. Weather seemed a couple of degrees below in SCNL today with not much fresh snow so doubt the AE would have changed that much.
Hope the wind allows you to get on something.
Might be worth going up for a look, we did it a few years ago when gales were forecast, and friends retreated from Bidean due to the winds, but we were somehow sheltered (probably by Bidean but can;t remember what the wind direction was) and hardly had any wind at all.
Should be obvious when you reach the ridge whether it's too blowy to continue!
Downside is you've got about a 200m bigger pull up from the road at the start of the day.
Thanks people, sound advice.
Has anyone been up today?
Forecast is improving with winds around 30mph from 9 with clearer skies. We are thinking that west to east is on so we're not going into the wind. By the time we are at stob coire leith we'll have a better idea. Nowt wrong with heading back down to the clachaig for first orders!!
30 mph hour isn't exactly inclement in Scotland and wouldn't put most folk off.
Have fun. Whatever the wind may turn out like, personally I'd want a better day for the Aonach Eagach (i.e. some views!), but maybe it won't be as bad as forecast.
We did The Dragons Tooth yesterday on Sgorr Dhonuill. Lots of powder high up and some good cornices leading to the summit. One short abseil part way along the ridge. So a good day out in good weather. Not sure what it would be like in strong winds but could retreat.
Our Friday Night Video this week documents Adam Ondra's recent trip to the Canadian Rockies. The film gives a superb insight into... Read more
For the first time in recent history, the jewel of Scottish (possibly even British!) sea cliff climbing gets the SMC... Read more
The seventh annual Arc'teryx Alpine Academy, which ran from Thursday the 5th to Sunday the 8th, drew to a close last week in... Read more
Overlooking the village of Tremadog, the sun-blessed cliffs of Craig Pant Ifan and Bwlch y Moch offer over 300 routes ranging... Read more