UKC

Petal sum tec vs salewa north x

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jmerrick21 04 May 2018

Heading to the alps this summer and wanted to pick up some new axes.

id appreciate any wisdom on which I should get (struggling to actually get some in hand locally)

thanks 

Robin Woodward 06 May 2018
In reply to jmerrick21:

I have a pair of Sum'Tec's for my girlfriend and I (both adze). They've been great and really flexible for alpine and easier scottish winter climbing. The locking movable pommel is great.

I have a pair of vipers which are primarily for ice climbing, but I got some T-rated picks and an extra hammer head piece so we can have one of each each for two axe routes which aren't predominantly ice. Nice to be able to climb leashless, and still have a decent axe for the walking sections.

Mr. Lee 27 May 2018
In reply to jmerrick21:

I saw the Salewa North X's in Chamonix the other week. The weighting was a lot more neutral compared to Sum'tecs or Quarks, which was a put-off for me personally. The sliding pommel seemed a bit more primitive as it doesn't actually lock, and instead relies on friction and turning force to hold it in place. I'd be worried it might gradually vibrate down the shaft. The Sum'tecs seem more refined overall, although I haven't actually climbed with either axe. 

JohnBson 28 May 2018
In reply to jmerrick21:

I have the North X. I really like them. They have reasonable clearance and work well up to Scottish IV although I may just be a crap climber but at V I prefer something more aggressive. 

I like that the leash is rated and for an alpine axe I feel that it's perfect, long enough to walk and plunge on ridges, still good for traction. The head is well shaped in the hand too. 

I rarely use the rest in a middle position as it's not like a midway rest for stacking hands on technical axes because there's only one anyhow. If you're on easy enough ground to dagger on then you don't need to apply enough downward force to move it..

Ideal for alpine but I'm getting some technical axes for ice and V  next year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...