UKC

Photos of Fiacaill Couloir

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Plungeman 15 Nov 2012
Bit of a long short this, but me and a mate went up the Couloir on Sunday 4th November and a three on the main wall to the right (somewhere near burning and looting I think) said they got some snaps of us.

Any takers??
 Chadders 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Thoms6974:

It was probably either Giles Trussel and his friends, you can contact him at Glenmore Lodge, you'll find his email address under staff contacts.

Or it was Neil Morrison and Sandy Simpson plus one other, a team from Aberdeen. I'm sure you can find a contact for them on here or face book?

Its worth a try?

Cheers
Chadders
Kevin Rutherford 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Thoms6974:Ive popped the photo on my blog, you can pinch it from there. Cheers Kevin http://ecossemountains.blogspot.co.uk/
Kevin Rutherford 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Thoms6974: Any joy on whether it was a new finish or not?
 Andy Nisbet 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Ecosse Mountains:
> (In reply to Thoms6974) Any joy on whether it was a new finish or not?

Looking at the picture, I think that's a common early season finish. Although my memory is vague, I think I was taken that way on a Glenmore Lodge course on 30th December 1973.

OP Plungeman 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Thoms6974:

Cheers for the replies guys - that's some memory you've got there Andy! Did you have to squeeze through a hole at the very top too?

Optimistic to hope for new routing in Sneachdta in the III region I suppose...
 Andy Nisbet 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Thoms6974:

Sorry I don't remember! But we did climb left of the normal banked up route, starting a bit lower down, and it was tricky so Tim Walker (the instructor) wouldn't let us lead. We had shared leads on the rest.
 Jamie B 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

That photo makes it look harder than III! I was on it last April (don't ask) and didn't see a feasible option to the normal route over the chockstone, which wasn't feasible either..

Keen to take a closer look at the routes to the right, although they do seem to weave around a bit and are probably quite hard to follow. Any recommendations?
 Andy Nisbet 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
>
> Keen to take a closer look at the routes to the right, although they do seem to weave around a bit and are probably quite hard to follow. Any recommendations?

We definitely did it, and it was our first week of winter climbing. There are several routes to the right and as you say, hard to follow. Best if you follow your nose and see what you did afterwards. There are no hidden tricks, if it looks hard, it is. The ledge where Rampant and others start is fairly obvious but higher up Fiacaill Couloir than you might think. I think it's quite stiff for IV,5 and there's not much pro if it's icy. Actually none of them are soft touch (so I believe) and I haven't done many. I've done Cap in Hand and that's good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...