UKC

Quick Question: NE Coire of Beinn an Dothaidh for tomorrow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonnie3430 27 Nov 2012
Any body know if there are rocky mixed routes in the NE Coire of Beinn an Dothaidh, or do they need frozen turf? (I don't think it will be, though is cold in Gla now.)

If not, any other suggestions for routes in SW Highlands for a quick blast tomorrow that don't need frozen turf? (I think Cobbler is black.)
In reply to jonnie3430:

Step away from the tools pilgrim....bad venue choice, a sea of turf, Cobbler the same, play the game.
 Jamie B 28 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

I'd echoe what Quagmire has said; don't think it's been cold enough for long enough. Getting there though...
OP jonnie3430 28 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

Does anyone know if the lines in Ben Cruachan Crag are rocky or turfy?
 drunken monkey 28 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430: What about the crags on Beinn an Lochain at rest and be thankful?
 LakesWinter 28 Nov 2012
In reply to drunken monkey: very turfy
In reply to drunken monkey:

2nd what LW says, you won't get up Monolith Grooves if the turf isn't solid! (and it's a bit run out...)
 TobyA 28 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430: All of the Southern Highlands is quite turfy generally. What about Recess Route on the Cobbler? It's mainly chimneying in summer, but does anyone know if you need turf to escape the chimneys in winter? Also that would be a bit lame if it wasn't plastered snowy.
In reply to TobyA:

I had a look at it on Sunday and the buttresses were black, there has been snow and frost since then, but I don't think enough.
 Turfty 28 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Does anyone know if the lines in Ben Cruachan Crag are rocky or turfy?

Primarily rocky (granite cracks) though reliant on turf here and there. Was walking up that direction on Sunday. Though a lot of snow under foot suspect the crag itself will be ok. Could be a good choice tomorrow depending on your route. I would be a little wary of the descent gully mind you with all the snow but you can drop a rope down easily enough.
ccmm 28 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

Probably looks like this: youtube.com/watch?v=NUOrZ1uz51s&

In reply to Craig Mc:

Crackin video, cheers.
 Andes 28 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:
The Merrick should be in by the weekend if it keeps up, almost all are best as pure ice routes no need for snow or turf. Nearer to Glasgow than Dothaidh as well.
http://www.johnbiggar.com/galloway-climbing-index/merrick-ice-climbing.asp
In reply to Andes:

Cheers John, I may come down for a look on Mon or Tue.
In reply to jonnie3430:

I think Coire Chat, Cruachan, would certainly offer something. However a quick blast, it is not!

I notice your based in Troon, I'm in Stevenston, we should hook up sometime (possibly even this Sunday).

Stuart
In reply to TobyA:

It's been far too sunny for the Cobbler and not enough snow for N Peak.

Whereas Right Angled Gully Direct V,6 has no turf and North Rib Route V,7 offers a possibility in less than frozen conditions! Recess Route is one of the finest mixed outings (anywhere) and should only be attempted in frozen, very snowy conditions, for maximum enjoyment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuart
 k.shark 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Andes: Stop giving our secrets away to madding crowds .Have you been about this week to check how things are forming.
In reply to Stuart the postie:

Am keen, but on the Ben Saturday and Sunday. You about Monday to Friday next week?
sphagnum 28 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

The new 'path' to get to the railway crossing at Dothaidh is rank.
 Andy Nisbet 29 Nov 2012
In reply to sphagnum:
>
> The new 'path' to get to the railway crossing at Dothaidh is rank.

Is this new since the Scottish Winter Climbs guidebook? Is the description below still accurate?

"Approach: From the Achallader Farm car park (NN 321 443). Walk around the barn opposite the house, then go through a gate to reach the moor. Above the farm cross the railway by a bridge. Follow the west bank of the Allt Coire Achaladair for about 1hr towards Coire Daingean, then head diagonally right to pass under the end of the north ridge, aiming for a small cone shaped hillock. Enter the subsidiary corrie under the cliffs (4km, 1hr 30mins)."

abbeywall 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

You can't park at the farm anymore. There is a locked gate on the track to Achallader Farm near Loch Tulla and a new car park has been put in about 200m from the A82. There is a diversionary path which bypasses the farm. I asked the access officer and the MCofS back in August for more information and whether the new path was regarded as suitable alternative access. They didn't know about the change and were going to contact the landowner. I haven't heard anything further.
You should still be able to walk through the old carpark to access the right of way but maybe not to get to the corrie.
 JohnnyW 29 Nov 2012
In reply to abbeywall:

Yup, it's just a mowed route through the tussocks, and very boggy. Well-frozen it wouldn't be too bad, but I can't see it ever becoming a viable path unless some work is done on it.
I reckon you can still follow the route in the book, but you need to park much further back.
 niallk 29 Nov 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:

That's a shame. I don't know what the previous agreement/obligations were, but I'd always assumed that the landowner was fairly welcoming to hill-goers given some of the signage and so on. Right enough, the car park was pretty close to the house though.

Hopefully Hebe will be able to find out some info as to why there's been this change.

Andy Nisbet 29 Nov 2012
In reply to abbeywall:

Hebe has left the MCofS and someone else is doing the job. It would be worth asking again in case the enquiry hasn't been passed on.

drmarten 29 Nov 2012
In reply to niallk:
The farmer there has been fairly welcoming every time I've encountered him. I don't know if there has been a change of ownership or they are tenants and not owners but I haven't been aware of any problems, having said that the car park was close to the house. The new path doesn't sound too good although it shouldn't take too long to get back on the original track at the railway.
 J Brown 29 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:
Bump. Just looking for any tips re current conditions in the Southern Highlands? Thanks.
 J Brown 29 Nov 2012
In reply to J Brown:

Or Glen Coe?
sphagnum 29 Nov 2012
In reply to drmarten & Andy Nisbet:

Thats it, just as abywell says. Not really a suitable alternative, one of those ones that will just get wider and wider and boggier and boggier !
Ho-hum, we cant have it too easy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...