UKC

Red Burn Bum Slide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Daniel Duerden 19 Feb 2023

This was excellent, so I thought I'd share it.

youtube.com/watch?v=eyndyb7YGSg&

Roberttaylor 20 Feb 2023
In reply to Daniel Duerden:

Nice one not falling in that hole.

Has to be one of the best bumslides in Scotland, nice to get it in perfect comfy conditions like that. 

CantClimbTom 20 Feb 2023

Baffled by the downvote on the original post, maybe someone is just jealous?

petegunn 20 Feb 2023
In reply to Roberttaylor:

I've only managed to catch it like that once in 2011 when there was a pre-made shute already in place, we must have lost about 500m of height in no time.

You do hear of people breaking their legs though, catching a post hole etc. so some caution is needed and why its probably frowned upon, standing glissade for the pro's though is ok if you can afford a new sole each season! 😭

Post edited at 22:06
 mountainbagger 20 Feb 2023
In reply to petegunn:

> standing glissade for the pro's though is ok if you can afford a new sole each season! 😭

Talking of being costly, I ripped my lovely new expensive waterproof trousers on an unexpected sharp rock bum sliding off Stob Coire nan Lochan (what was I thinking!?).

Obviously I stubbornly taped them up and kept using them for years afterwards despite no longer being waterproof. Most of the time, just the act of putting them on was a sufficient psychological boost in poor weather so they were still useful!

ebdon 22 Feb 2023

I got avalanched bum sliding down the red burn a while back in a slow moving but big sluff avalanche, it went just faster than walking pace giving a rather comical view to walkers in the track next to it. Eventually I managed to roll off sideways before being ejected off the end.

TheGeneralist 22 Feb 2023
In reply to ebdon:

Yep, wet sluffs are weird. Got one skiing on SCnL

It's an actual thing in Austria.  Will try to recall the name.....

JdotP 22 Feb 2023

Fantastic conditions for bumsliding, or "Advanced descent" as myself and certain friends call it.  I've been doing it for years, 17 years come think of it, without incident, then suddenly last weekend I twisted my ankle whilst executing an advanced descent into Coire Na Ciste after a climb on Ben Nevis.  Will I ever do such carefree advanced descents again?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...