UKC

Rjukan & cheap accomodation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ERU 27 Jan 2013
I'm hoping to go to Rjukan between Sat 16th February to Sun 24th February 2013. I've also just noticed it's the 'Rjukan Ice Festival' then too!

Can anyone recommend a place to stay that is cheap. Will I even find somewhere to stay for 2 or 4 people? Will I need to bivi?
 HarryB 27 Jan 2013
In reply to ERU:

http://www.rjukanhytte.com/ is the cheapest we found
 benka 27 Jan 2013
In reply to ERU: rjukanoldschoolhostel.no
 Dave Williams 29 Jan 2013
In reply to ERU:

"Rjukan" and "cheap" are two words that you would never normally expect to see in the same sentence.

I've not stayed in the Old School Hostel, but it looks cool and I'd probably stay there if or when I can ever afford to end up in Rjukan again.

Dave

PS Benka's even worked there ... so he should definitely know!

Phil4000 29 Jan 2013
In reply to ERU: go to the climb inn.....awesome accommodation, excellent location & great staff.
 gilliesp 30 Jan 2013
In reply to ERU: We stayed at the Rjukangjestegard hostel in centre of Rjukan last year and are booked in again this year. The Climber's Club appear to use it annually around this week.

http://www.rjukangjestegard.no/

The site is in Norwegian but they will answer emails in good English. Approx £25 per night dorm only. It may be busy during Ice Festival - they will soon tell you.

There is a good shop opposite and the food and drink are reasonably priced. This year we are not taking grub with us.

The hostel web picture is misleading as it is taken in summer. Imagine it with two feet of snow draped over everything and temp is -20C! And you are considering a bivi....
 gilliesp 30 Jan 2013
In reply to ERU:

http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/meets/rjukan.html

This is Climber's Club link to their trip to Rjukan this year. As always Smiler, the organiser, gives the Hostel a glowing report. Sounds as though it may be worth buying their breakfast.
OP ERU 30 Jan 2013
Some lovely leads - thanks folks.
 GridNorth 30 Jan 2013
In reply to gilliesp: I've stayed there several times on CC meets and can vouch for the place. They offer 4 bunk bed rooms but we get a discounted price for block booking so I don't know what the normal price is. It is also situated at the point where the distances to ice falls are measured from which is handy.
 GarethSL 30 Jan 2013
In reply to ERU:

Required:

1x 170NOK
1x Bar
1x Charm

Good luck
bradzy_c 30 Jan 2013
In reply to ERU: See you down there! We're staying 13th till 17th. Not sure where, off with the mountaineering club. They get my money and I just smile and prepare!
 JamieGreig 30 Jan 2013
In reply to ERU: www.rjukan.co.uk. Stayed here last month and it was excellent. Self catering apartments with everything you need and cheap as anywhere else! It's run by a British guy who is really helpful if you need any info on Rjukan.
 gilliesp 01 Feb 2013
In reply to JamieGreig:

Prices are very good if 4 or 6 sharing for one week but do you know if is there similarly cheap accommodation for one or two persons who intend to stay say 5 nights?
hang 'em high 01 Feb 2013
In reply to ERU:

My guess is it will be pretty busy during the ice-fest but you might get lucky

we stayed here last winter
http://rjukan-hytteby.no/en/index/

Its the opposite end of town to Climb-Inn and where most of the climbing is but you'll most likely have a car so that means 5 minutes drive.

We ended up in the chalet above the restaurant which was warm and comfortable but we nearly stayed in one of the little coloured huts that sleep 4/5 and look pretty cool to me. Its also 1 minute walk to the swimming pool for a rest day or evening soak.

Not sure if 170NOK would get you much in a bar...
 summo 01 Feb 2013
In reply to ERU: part of your trip runs into half term, or sports week as it's called, so accommodation is limited all over Norway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...