UKC

Sabotørfossen video

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 planetmarshall 26 Feb 2014
I'm well aware of the awfulness of this video, I'm still working out how to get the most from GoPro footage. Anyway, thought it may be of use to people wondering about Rjukan conditions.

vimeo.com/87652812

PS, the blood at the top isn't mine.

Andrew.
 Robert Durran 26 Feb 2014
In reply to planetmarshall:

> I'm well aware of the awfulness of this video.

Yes, it is awful!

> I'm still working out how to get the most from GoPro footage.

I'm yet to see GoPro helmet footage which would not have been better if the belayer had had the camera (or better still a third person at agood vantage point).
 James91 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

Well that first comment was necessary... TBH I quite enjoyed it anyway! Typical UKC I guess.
In reply to Robert Durran:

> I'm yet to see GoPro helmet footage which would not have been better if the belayer had had the camera (or better still a third person at agood vantage point).

Well yes, but such things require time and equipment to setup. I may try handing the camera to a willing belayer next time, though. Also, inverting the camera so that it faces towards the leader in portrait mode could be more interesting.

Ian Black 26 Feb 2014

Enjoyed that, thanks for posting...
 Morgan Woods 26 Feb 2014

Just a quick point....you may find it easier and less faff to ditch the tethers on short ice routes like this.
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Er, thanks Morgan, but I didn't find Sabotorfossen to be particularly short.
 CMcBain 27 Feb 2014

Strange music choice but quite liked the video, would be great if you could have two gopro's and mix up the shots between belayer and climber's perspective. Out of curiosity is that what WI5 looks like (Have only climbed Scottish ice rather than Euro ice)? Maybe the video doesn't do it justice but the final bit looks like a staircase of foot ledges.
In reply to CMcBain:

> Out of curiosity is that what WI5 looks like (Have only climbed Scottish ice rather than Euro ice)? Maybe the video doesn't do it justice but the final bit looks like a staircase of foot ledges.

I have limited basis for comparison, but most of the climbs in Rjukan were a bit of a soft touch that week. I'd say it was of similar difficulty to Point 5, and would likely be much harder earlier in the season when it hasn't been so stepped out.

It is steep, though.

Toby_W 27 Feb 2014

Crom! I was half expecting Thulsa Doom and a giant snake to appear and you to start fighting him.

I tried sticking my gopro on my axe looking back at me but it's too much of a shock for it.

I think you need to edit these heavily cut in views of the approach, your climbing partner, lots of look around shots and keep them short. I never upload the stuff, just love seeing it when I get home and being able to look at everything you were jibbering too hard to notice and enjoy while you were climbing.
I also think a lot of the time music does not add to climbing footage.

Enjoy your editing, the footage you have is lovely of the climb.

Cheers

Toby
 GarethSL 27 Feb 2014

On routes that you can pretty much hook your way up... put the camera on the axe looking down onto you.
Ian Black 27 Feb 2014

> I have limited basis for comparison, but most of the climbs in Rjukan were a bit of a soft touch that week. I'd say it was of similar difficulty to Point 5, and would likely be much harder earlier in the season when it hasn't been so stepped out.

> It is steep, though.

Climbed there early season a few years ago when it was -26 and the routes were stiff for the grade, but generally a Rjukan 5 is easier than a French 5, and when I've gone back, the ice a bit softer, I would say they're on a par with Scottish grades.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...