UKC

scary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
OP efrance24234 09 Mar 2013
In reply to efrance24234: scroll down and look at the vid!
abseil 09 Mar 2013
In reply to efrance24234:

Thanks, that's an incredible video, the text below is also done very well and well worth reading.

MRT got there in 30 minutes, impressive. Hope the climber recovers fully and soon.
 Cameron94 09 Mar 2013
In reply to efrance24234: That must have been terrifying!

Some of the comments below the article were quite harsh if you ask me. Yes he should have been in a more protected spot if there was someone climbing above him but sometimes it's just not that simple.
ccmm 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Cameron94:

It is that simple. If you climb under folk and stuff gets knocked off (especially ice) then you run the risk of getting hit.
 DaveHK 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Cameron94:
>
>
> Some of the comments below the article were quite harsh if you ask me.

The guy that says "self-arrest should have been a relatively simple affair" has clearly never tried to do one on steep, hard snow.
 butteredfrog 09 Mar 2013

That looked like it hurt!

On the plus side, he managed to shoot much more interesting footage than he intended to!
 neil the weak 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Craig Mc:
> (In reply to Cameron94)
>
> It is that simple. If you climb under folk and stuff gets knocked off (especially ice) then you run the risk of getting hit.

+1. See Will Gadd's blog on this also. Why people can not get their heads round this is beyond me.
 Cameron94 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Craig Mc: Sorry should have broken that line up a bit more and explained it better.
Not being under someone climbing ice is a given and definitely not a good place to be.

In regards to it being that simple there are many factors which might have made him go into the fall line but I was in referring to the whole situation in general. Eg; not being able to arrest, not having both axes in hand and people speculating to his level of experience.
 yeti 09 Mar 2013

looks like the video got pulled or has technical issues

watched it earlier though and aye well scary
 Cuthbert 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Craig Mc:

I remember climbing the Curtain with a friend and some guy turned up behind us ready to solo it. He asked us to not knock any ice down which caused a rage from my friend. She said that he would be bombarded by ice if climbing under us. For some reason he didn't seem to understand us.
 iksander 09 Mar 2013
In reply to neil the weak:
> (In reply to Craig Mc)
>
>Why people can not get their heads round this is beyond me.

Isn't it just a question of saturation? In the UK good conditions and good routes and limited opportunities for most people mean that routes almost inevitably get mobbed and people put up with it because they don't have much choice.

Different story in the Rockies where you have thousands of routes in condition for months at a time.
 Neil Williams 09 Mar 2013

Seems to have been taken down for some reason...

Neil
OP efrance24234 09 Mar 2013
In reply to efrance24234: Mabe they pulled it because it got put on ukc. If thats the case im sorry. I didnt post it to have a bitch about the climber, just as the article said its self, to show how easliy these things happen.
Stay safe.
 lithos 09 Mar 2013

you were the 3rd person to link it here on ukc
and the BMC put it on facebook so i wouldn't worry !
 subalpine 09 Mar 2013
In reply to lithos: oh dear, i was the fourth. for those who avoid facebook:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3d6_1362797536

auld al 09 Mar 2013
In reply to efrance24234: at end - ow f*ckin hurt - lol
 Lucy Wallace 09 Mar 2013
In reply to subalpine:

I may be wrong but I'm wondering whether this has been taken down either due to intensely hostile media interest, or out of sensitivity to yesterdays fatality in Glencoe. Maybe both.
 Simon Caldwell 09 Mar 2013

It was getting shared left right and centre on Facebook. Maybe a bandwidth issue.
 Simon Caldwell 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Snoweider:
BMC statement from Facebook, so possibly you're right:

"Sorry, the vid was taken off for now. We will repost next week."
 Jamie B 09 Mar 2013
In reply to iksander:

> Isn't it just a question of saturation? In the UK good conditions and good routes and limited opportunities for most people mean that routes almost inevitably get mobbed and people put up with it because they don't have much choice.
> Different story in the Rockies where you have thousands of routes in condition for months at a time.

There are thousands of routes in Scotland too! But almost everyone still honeypots towards the usual suspects..

john1963 09 Mar 2013
 Jonny Tee 69 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

But not your good self Jamie.
 drunken monkey 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Jamie B: Like the pumpkin? Then come on here and bleat because its got big feckin steps up it?
 Jamie B 13 Mar 2013
In reply to drunken monkey:

> Then come on here and bleat because its got big feckin steps up it?

Bleating? Didn't realise that my post came across that way, thought I was just trying to start a discussion. But some on here will always assume confrontation as the default.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...