UKC

Scotland: Instructor / Guide recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stoneback 16 Dec 2012
I feel like im missing a whole part of life in Britain by not taking a proper look at Scottish winter climbing! So, I'm interested in a weekend in Scotland early next year, probably late Jan.

I don't really feel confident to just try and arrange something on here without any formal basic instruction so i'm after recommendations for a guide/ instructor to get me started. (I took this approach when i started trad climbing a few years ago and it has worked out really well)

I've done some winter walking in Scotland - and other places, as well as a winter skills course in Glen Coe which covered basic crampon and walking axe use, self arrest, avalanche awareness etc. I also climb most weekends down here in the south west, mainly trad.

I've got all the kit i would need and am keen to get out for a hard, cold weekend.

Any advise or recommendations most welcome!

Cheers in advance,
Nick.

Ray Sparks 16 Dec 2012
In reply to stoneback: hi i can personaly recomend Alan Halewood (climbwenyouready.com) check his website and blog you wont go wrong

Ray
 luckyjim 16 Dec 2012
In reply to stoneback: plenty of top guides based around Fort William...Kenny Grant,Mike Pescod,Jamie Bankhead,Scott Kirkhope,Ken Applegate...take your pick!
 gillianc 16 Dec 2012
In reply to stoneback:
or try rich parker www.richparker-mountaintraining.com
 danredcar 19 Dec 2012
In reply to stoneback: Guy Steven is excellent, search guy steven blog on google
 scottie390 19 Dec 2012
In reply to luckyjim: interesting choice of names there Jim. very interesting
 Robbo1 19 Dec 2012
In reply to stoneback: Garry Smith is great and will be up in Scotland from 2 Jan (gethigh.co.uk)
In reply to Robbo1: I'd recommend Garry Smith as well, I did a Winter Climbing course with him a few years back.
 Cuthbert 19 Dec 2012
In reply to stoneback:

Good selection of names here. Try to use a local operator based in the area fulltime of possible.
David Buckett 19 Dec 2012
In reply to stoneback: Max hunter is good, based in Fort william
 Kid Spatula 19 Dec 2012
In reply to stoneback:

Massive recommendation for Jonathan Preston. Great guy, and exactly what I wanted in a guide. Taught us loads in the two days we hired him for, and nicely stated we were moderately competent already!
 Kid Spatula 19 Dec 2012
In reply to stoneback:

Oh he's based near Aviemore.
OP stoneback 19 Dec 2012
In reply to stoneback:

Dear All,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, after much research and a few emails ive got a trip organised for late Jan, cant wait!

Gunna tell the mrs tonight, can't wait for that either!

Nick.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...