UKC

Scottish Winter Climbing Meet Cancelled

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 planetmarshall 10 Feb 2014
http://www.scottishwinterclimbing.co.uk/

Really sad to see that this meet has been cancelled, particularly after the great time I had last year (led my first Grade IV on Tower Ridge), and the fact that there's so much climbing to be had in the NW at the moment.

Unfortunately this year it clashed with my trip to Rjukan, otherwise I certainly would have been heading up.

Andrew.
 Cuthbert 10 Feb 2014
In reply to planetmarshall:

That's a real shame. To be honest I had no idea it was on. With better advertising maybe Torridon could work another time.
 timjones 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

> That's a real shame. To be honest I had no idea it was on. With better advertising maybe Torridon could work another time.

+1

I would have loved to be there if I'd known it was on.
In reply to timjones:

> I would have loved to be there if I'd known it was on.

Yeah, I must admit, I only knew about it because I went last year and was on the mailing list. I can't recall seeing any other advertising.
 Cameron94 10 Feb 2014

More advertising to boost it's profile is definitely needed, I only knew it was on because I heard last year.

I've not seen anything mentioned about it.

I would have been on it if the timing had better suited me.

peebles boy 10 Feb 2014

Valentines weekend and 2-3 hours past most weekend climbers' travel limits, coupled with less reliable conditions...

Obviously with current conditions it would be ideal, but I guess that the fickle nature of NW conditions was always going to hold people back from booking up months in advance. Don't get me wrong, NW highlands are stunning and well worth the visit, but it IS extra time and expense for less reliable conditions.
 gergosantha 10 Feb 2014
I was a guest on BMC Winter Meet 2014 and although it was a great event, as far as I concerned Torridon was the only safe place, all the others were full of unsettled snow with high(est) avalanche danger throughout the week. It would be nice to join to SWC Meet next year.
Post edited at 15:05
 Michael Gordon 10 Feb 2014
In reply to sgergo:

> I was a guest on BMC Winter Meet 2014 and although it was a great event, as far as I concerned Torridon was the only safe place

Surely most of the NW would have been OK?

gergosantha 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

'Surely' is not a word in my mountaineering dictionary, I don't know the 'most of the NW' but Beinn Eighe Triple Buttress was visited by several parties (including me) throughout the week, Meall Gorm as well and Liathach seemed to be okay. I'm talking about the amount of snow which had been really worrying on Ben Nevis/Glen Coe/Cairngorms.
 Mike Lates 11 Feb 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

> Obviously with current conditions it would be ideal, but I guess that the fickle nature of NW conditions was always going to hold people back from booking up months in advance. Don't get me wrong, NW highlands are stunning and well worth the visit, but it IS extra time and expense for less reliable conditions.

Suggest you get out a bit more; the only thing more reliable about the Fort in February is the amount of bull written and talked about. Provocative but your pigeon-holing doesn't help climbers coming to Scotland get a balanced view of what its about.
 Michael Gordon 11 Feb 2014
In reply to sgergo:

OK, I just wasn't sure why you'd singled Torridon out as the only safe place.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...