UKC

Scottish Winter Conditions This Season?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kai 16 Feb 2023

I'm headed to Scotland in a week to (hopefully) climb something.

Wondering how conditions have been this winter so far, and what I'm likely to find when we get there.  

DaveHK 16 Feb 2023
In reply to Kai:

> I'm headed to Scotland in a week to (hopefully) climb something.

> Wondering how conditions have been this winter so far, and what I'm likely to find when we get there.  

As it stands, not a lot. High on the Ben is about all that's left. Looking a bit colder next week though.

Post edited at 18:08
In reply to Kai:

A good source to get an overview from mid December is to look back through the SAIS blogs for each area, with a daily report for each. After a cold December and some decent snowfall in January, February has been a big letdown. Windy, mild for the past 2 weeks. As Dave HK says getting colder from next week and long range forecasts for March suggesting that it will stay reasonably cold and settled particularly in West and Northwest Highlands. Key issue is how much more snow arrives next week or so. Some possibility that March MIGHT give best conditions of the winter?

In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Looking increasingly like a cold and settled March in Scotland but with not much precipitation to top up  any remaining snow cover. Ar least the winds will drop - up here in NW Highlands the wind has been a real pain in the arse through January and February. Oh for those cold snowy Februaries of my youth!

OP Kai 20 Feb 2023
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

We're scheduled to be in Scotland starting next week, Monday the 27th of February.  

Hoping we can find something in condition that we can climb.  Will be a bummer to have come all the way from the States only to go hiking in the rain.  

In reply to Kai:

By Monday 27 th you will have cool sunny settled weather in Scotland, particularly the west Probably not a lot of snow in the hills after a mild,windy February. Weather gets colder from Wednesday this week with some snow initially then dry and sunny  .

Post edited at 18:16
OP Kai 04 Mar 2023
In reply to Kai:

Climbed this week in beautiful weather.   Sunny, clear, no wind at all.  Not the sort of "Scottish" weather I have heard about.   

Locals I encountered told me that it was unusually nice. 

I am not complaining. 

TobyA 04 Mar 2023
In reply to Kai:

What routes did you get done? I presume if you were winter climbing you were on the Ben or in the Northern Corries?

OP Kai 04 Mar 2023
In reply to TobyA:

> What routes did you get done? I presume if you were winter climbing you were on the Ben or in the Northern Corries?

We climbed Fiacall Gully in the Cairngorms, then Comb Gully on Ben Nevis, then Sidewinder in the Cairngorms.  Lots of fun.  Headed back to the States now, tired and happy.  

In reply to Kai:

Glad you enjoyed it "Haste ye back"!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...