UKC

Skye

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frank Boase 10 Jul 2020

Hi All,

I may be moving to Skye soon.

Apart from Cullin Ridge does anybody know about easy rock climbs, (for my g/friend)

Also "snow + ice"?

Stay safe. 

Rich W Parker 10 Jul 2020
In reply to Frank Boase:

Hi Frank.

There’s an abundance of easier rock climbs in the Cuillin Coires, very much in a mountain environment with regards getting to them and off them, not to mention objective hazards associated with mountain cliffs, but there’s a bunch of cracking stuff. 

There’s lots of climbing around the coast too, much of it quite steep, but more chilled routes can be found at Neist (inland and also easy-ish access sea cliffs of a non intimidating nature); Suisinish, which is a nice wee outcrop and Elgol which has some nice Severes, it’s tidal and quite imposing at first. 

Worth getting Skye Sea Cliffs and Outcrops from the SMC. 

There’s certainly winter climbing action to be had there, although it’s fickle I think there might be useful conditions more often than many people realise. Mike Lates has long been an enthusiastic promoter of the Skye winter scene, he organises a festival most January/February and people have done some genuinely good winter routes. 

Rob Parsons 10 Jul 2020
In reply to Frank Boase:

Loads to go at. Check out the various SMC climbing and scrambling guides to the island.

Post edited at 19:42
 Michael Gordon 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Frank Boase:

There's an absolute ton of stuff. Get the SMC Skye Cuillin guide.

Post edited at 07:45
 BnB 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> There's an absolute ton of stuff. Get the SMC Skye Cuillin guide.

Depends on your definition of easy. If your limit is VS then the coast has limited pickings and Skye Scrambles is a better guide to mountain routes at vDiff and below, with the additional benefit of more detailed approach notes. Both are great guides though.

Jim Fraser 26 Aug 2020
In reply to Frank Boase:

I remember giving advice to two guys going to a certain part of Sutherland who wanted to go bouldering. "Park the car and walk 500m in any direction." Some bits of Skye are like that! As stated above, get the SMC Guide: lots of stuff.

Winter? Patience and flexibility required. During the period I lived on Skye, I got absolutely zero winter routes done on the island. Maybe one day you'll wake up and it will be the winter perfect day: make sure you're ready!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...