UKC

Sleeping in the rescue box in coire an t-snechda

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bluesgiant 12 Jan 2013
Has anyone ever done this?
(I am a regular user but have chosen to post under a new account to avoid getting flamed...)
bluesgiant 12 Jan 2013
In reply to bluesgiant: Coire an t-sneachda*
 Milesy 12 Jan 2013
Why would you? If you get as far as the box its only a short stomp to the ski centre.
 AlH 12 Jan 2013
In reply to bluesgiant: Its topped right up with rescue kit so it would have to be emptied first. I remember someone caught out (on Lochnagar??) who did so once upon a time.
bluesgiant 12 Jan 2013
In reply to bluesgiant: So really only to be used in an emergency. I assume bivvying at the ski centre would be a better option.
 Cameron94 12 Jan 2013
In reply to bluesgiant: I remember reading an article that mentioned a well known climber (a guide if I remember correctly) who spent the night in the box in Lochnagar before being met by m.r in the morning.

Unless I was desprate walking out would seem the better option to me.
 Lamb 12 Jan 2013
In reply to AlH: Yes a solo climber fell and broke a leg but managed to get himself into the box for the awaiting MR to carry him out!
 Jamie B 12 Jan 2013
In reply to bluesgiant:

> I assume bivvying at the ski centre would be a better option.

Sleeping in a nice warm bed in Aviemore would seem like an even better one to me!
seaofdreams 12 Jan 2013
In reply to bluesgiant:
> (In reply to bluesgiant) So really only to be used in an emergency. I assume bivvying at the ski centre would be a better option.

the MR team would have to carry all the kit out, dry it off, check it and carry it all back in again. on a spare day.

In reply to bluesgiant: Have you considered how cold it will be sleeping in a metal box, even with a sleeping bag etc??
Jim C 13 Jan 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
> (In reply to bluesgiant) Have you considered how cold it will be sleeping in a metal box, even with a sleeping bag etc??

One presumes the op is talking about an emergency situation,

Perhaps there could be a case for modifying these boxes to have a foldable compartment for shelter, without emptying the contents, but only in truly remote locations.
There is just about room to get a person into the CIC hut equipment compartment which is open, without putting all the gear outside , but again in an emergency, not just for laziness.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...