UKC

South Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paul greenhow 22 Feb 2013
Does anyone know if there are any routes in condition or likely to be over this weekend
 beardy mike 22 Feb 2013
In reply to paul greenhow: Assuming you're serious, very very unlikely. It needs to be properly cold for atleast a week before stuff like Torpantau even vaguely starts to get there...
 BenTiffin 22 Feb 2013
In reply to paul greenhow: I wouldn't think there will be anything in yet. I don't know if there is snow on the hills or not but when I drive home from work down the Afan Valley (Cymer, Glyncorrwg, etc.) at 4pm there were icicles there from last night's frost. It was about 1 degree in Cymer all day, and yesterday.

Ben
 Welsh Kate 22 Feb 2013
In reply to BenTiffin:
There's a sprinkling on the top of Pen y Fan and Corn Du but that's about it, I doubt temps got near to zero up there today and there's a bitterly cold easterly.
 Run_Ross_Run 23 Feb 2013
In reply to paul greenhow:
Paul,

RAC corner was pretty thick when i drove past this afternoon. Couldn't see anyone on it but maybe check out the log for it. I reckon it'll be ok in a few days (if not already).

There's nothing in the reserve a bit further down the road.

Reckon you'll find something if you look hard enough.

Its been well below zero for the last few days and the wind is making it feel a whole lot worse.
 spearing05 23 Feb 2013
> Does anyone know if there are any routes in condition or likely to be over this weekend

Ice forming on the seeps at Taffs Wells. Usually a good sign for stuff higher up. Interestingly the ice there has grown through today despite it being above freezing when none formed a few weeks back during the snow. Suspect it is the cold dry wind speeding evaporative cooling.
 k2hvs 23 Feb 2013
In reply to spearing05:
Just wondering if you know the answer to a quick question? Does dry air/wind have a greater effect on evapoartivw cooling. If so why?
Cheers.
Mark
 k2hvs 23 Feb 2013
In reply to k2hvs: Also facebook pages says ice forming at Craig Y Llyn by the way.
 spearing05 23 Feb 2013
In reply to k2hvs: In short - yes. As I understand it, dryer air will allow more water to evaporate

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler
 Levi 23 Feb 2013
In reply to paul greenhow: It's been very cold last few days and with dry air (high lapse rate) temps at height have been lower than valley temps suggest. On PyF (800m) its been well below freezin all week. Minus 6 at night and minus 4 in day time last 2 days with no sun. Some patches of good neve. Turf well frozen on tops and ice building elsewhere generally but above 3-400 Metres. Caerfanell falls (some identify as Torpantau) likely to be climbable given the ice formed at 400 metres nearer road. As always go and see or in South Wales you'll miss it!
 cas smerdon 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Levi: Can locals confirm is there snow on top of Black Mountains at the moment? Im taking some teenagers up to Pen Cerrig Calch and Sugar Loaf next week but can't go if tops are covered in snow. Pockets of snow ok but not 'winter' conditions.

Final decision needs to be made on Wednesday so any updates during week would be welcome.

Thanks
Carole
 Run_Ross_Run 24 Feb 2013
In reply to cas smerdon:

Sugar loaf has a 'white covering' (looks more like frost) but it snowed again last night and will snow again before Wednesday. The ground is frozen solid and its bitter on the summits.

Maybe get a better update Tuesday night.
 Valley Boy 3 24 Feb 2013
In reply to paul greenhow: Any one got updates on conditions up on Pen y Fan today, any snow, ice etc

Thanks
 DPC69CPC 26 Feb 2013

Led to believe by one of the guys in work who has just driven from Brecon to Merthyr this morning that RAC corner was "looking all frozen up" maybe just starting to thaw a little as the day warmed up. How reliable that is not really sure but its been cold up there all week.
 tipsy 26 Feb 2013
In reply to paul greenhow: I'll report back on my blog www.southwaleswinter.blogspot.com late tonight. Going for an evening jaunt to check out Torpantau by torchlight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...