UKC

Stob Coire nan Lochan conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dom Connaway 28 Apr 2018

Anyone been up recently? I'm hoping there might be enough snow left in broad gully to solo onto the ridge. 

Andy Nisbet 28 Apr 2018
In reply to Dom Connaway:

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't. But I haven't actually seen it.

Joak 29 Apr 2018

Me and ma mate went up the zigzags onto Gearr Aonach, then over SCNL, Bidean and Sgreamhach today. Loads of fresh snow. Broad Gully was complete.  Ridges were nice....not so sure about the gullies though.  

Jack B 29 Apr 2018

We scrambled up an easy buttress (not sure what it's called) more or less directly under the summit of SCNL today.  All the gullies and both side ridges are covered in snow down to the level of the coire floor, the crags and buttresses are clear, obviously.  Today, the snow was sugary verging on wet where it had had a few hours of sun. All the gullies had sun wheels, and two had debris from partial depth wet snow avalanches. Personally, I wouldn't have wanted to be in a gully today, though others were on the path up from the hidden valley (which has an awkward cornice at the top) and didn't come to any harm. 

Dom Connaway 02 May 2018
In reply to Jack B:

Thanks everyone for your replies. In the end I went up the ridge to SCnL early on Tuesday morning. Still lots of snow above 650m and well frozen in the corrie at 0430 when I hit the ridge. Sadly the stuff on the crest was all sugar and slush, despite the early hour. Absolutely agree with you, Jack , about not wanting to be in the gullies at the moment. 

Post edited at 09:56

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...