UKC

The Aonach Eagach conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 libation 01 Feb 2013
any news on recent conditions on The Aonach Eagach

cheers john
 Finn Curry 01 Feb 2013
Good call. Can I bump this and ask for input on Curved Ridge too? Is there too much snow fir that? Cheers.
 Darkskys 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Finn Curry: I've been scoping conditions up their for the last week as we're going up on sunday. My instinct would be to say they'll be pretty awesome this weekend but with ALOT of snow!
 Milesy 01 Feb 2013
For glencoe you can use the Kingshouse hotel webcam and the Glencoe mountain ski webcams for ideas of the snow line.
 CurlyStevo 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Finn Curry:
Curved Ridge has an avalanche prone bowl in the upper reaches that faces approximately East.
 Finn Curry 01 Feb 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: Thanks guys - I'm aware of the avalanche prone sections, that east facing bowl might rule it out for tomorrow. I'm getting to the Kingshouse at 3ish so hopefully I can do a little reccie and see how it looks!
OP libation 01 Feb 2013
In reply to libation: keep us up to speed we should be at the kings house wednesday
Jim C 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Milesy: Try the Glencoe Mountain Resort Website for snow line, info I looked at the webcam this morning and looks a lot higher than last weekend (which was right down at the Kinsghouse Hotel.) But soft and unconsolodated.

http://www.glencoemountain.com/

SNOW REPORT
Snow Level: 2000ft ft Vertical Runs: 1600ft ft
Lifts Operating: 6 of 7 Available Uplifts
Last Update 01/02/2013 at 09:43 am

6-8" of fresh snow on lower slopes, nice on the groomed line but a bit heavy off it. All middle slopes are open. Upper slopes have a good cover of wind packed snow on an icy base with the odd icy patch.

For the very latest snow updates check out our new Twitter feed at www.twitter.com/glencoemountain

Photos of LAST Saturday)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22776031@N05/sets/72157632616473605/
 CurlyStevo 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Jim C:
There will probably be a hard crust somewhere in the snowpack as there was a thaw to all levels tuesday this week
 Darkskys 01 Feb 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: how significant will this thawe be? Will there still be reasonable conditions higher up?
 Finn Curry 01 Feb 2013
In reply to libation: I've just been up to the Waterside slabs on Curved Ridge for a look and it looks pretty good for a climb tomorrow, certainly not too much snow from what I could see but what is there is solid and some rock showing through too. I'm climbing it tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes. I'm at the Kingshouse til Friday so I'll probably see you around!!
OP libation 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Finn Curry:
> (In reply to libation) I've just been up to the Waterside slabs on Curved Ridge for a look and it looks pretty good for a climb tomorrow, certainly not too much snow from what I could see but what is there is solid and some rock showing through too. I'm climbing it tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes. I'm at the Kingshouse til Friday so I'll probably see you around!!

info is greatly appreciated - weather looks promising ---- good luck----j

Jon Wylie 02 Feb 2013
In reply to libation:

Partnerless today so went along the aonach eagach myself. Cracking day-even got the sunglasses out for a bit.

Conditions on the crest were ok. Although, I got slowed down a bit cleaning and trail breaking. A mixture of some half consolidated snow and bits of powder with not much helpful ice/neve. Also noticed quite a bit of localised windslab on the way up (particularly easterly aspects). There was some avalanche debris on the east face on second last hill (cant remember the name).

hope that helps

Jon
drmarten 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Finn Curry:
We were on Curved Ridge yesterday - a party ahead and a party behind so I don't know if you were among them. Everything perfect apart from the snow It was unconsolidated most of the way up the ridge and it was a rare find to get a decent neve axe placement. We diverted into the gully on the right near the top and found the climbing in there to be the best of the day. The snowbowl at the top did look loaded but we avoided this by remaining on the broken ground on the right below Crowberry Tower, the gully up to Crowberry Tower Gap was fine and the snow above to the summit was good. We also descended via the ridge to the west of Coire na Tualich, I've been meaning to try this descent route out and glad to say it's tucked away now for future use if required. It was good to get out before the weather takes a turn for the worse, here's hoping it's all settled down again by next weekend.
 Finn Curry 03 Feb 2013
In reply to drmarten: I was the lead in the party ahead of you and had pretty much exactly the same day as you! Went up the first steepening and there was nothing of any use, axe or protection-wise and it got pretty run out for a bit. The gully on the right near the top was a lovely bit of climbing and likewise we avoided the snowbowl at the top by going up behind Crowberry Tower and then up the broken ground to the summit. And yes, the same descent as well!! Coire na Tualich did not look inviting. So the snow wasn't so good but the views were amazing - well worth it: what a day
 Finn Curry 03 Feb 2013
In reply to libation: The weather is crap outside right now, warm wet and windy but there's still plenty of snow high up. I started up Sron Na Lairig today but my partner wanted to bail so we traversed off before the difficulties. It wasn't so bad in the morning but now the weather has properly come in so I think it's some low level walking and a spot of retail therapy at Nevis Sport tomorrow and hope that it starts calming down again for Tuesday.
drmarten 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Finn Curry:
Glad you enjoyed your day as we did, I've a photo of the pair of you in the gully, if you send me your email address I'll pass it on.
 cat22 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Jon Wylie:
> Although, I got slowed down a bit cleaning and trail breaking.

Thanks, much appreciated! Great day to be up there.

Jon Wylie 03 Feb 2013
In reply to cat22:

Haha, yes it was a cracking day! Not sure which group your were but ive got a few distant photos of people on various bits: if your interested just email me.

I was feeling lazy down near the Clachaig, stuck my thumb out and the very first car gave me a lift all the way up the glen to the carpark! Made my day

Jon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...