UKC

The Kinder Muppet Show

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tetley 27 Jan 2013
I know I shouldn't stoop to this level of wingeing, but what I see on crags these days sometimes beggars belief.....
Up at the Downfall y'day, good conditions, quite a few people there as you'd expect, so logic says if you rap off do so away from the climbs ....oh no,3 muppets just had to go straight down the middle, above climbers, with the risk of knocking the upper chandelier ice on to them (some very damoclean daggers). Asked them not to, just ignored!
Bloody brainless, there was a perfectly safe abseil at the side which they were made aware of.
If you are reading this ...THINK....you do have responsibilities!

That feels better!
 Brass Nipples 27 Jan 2013
In reply to tetley:

What gets me is loads are on the downfall because of easy access when there's equally good ice on northern kinder escarpment and deserted. At least it was yesterday...
 Billhook 27 Jan 2013
In reply to A Game of Chance:

Yes, but you'd have to walk a bit further and people might not see how good and cool you are.
In reply to Dave Perry:
> (In reply to A Game of Chance)
>
> Yes, but you'd have to walk a bit further and people might not see how good and cool you are.

Suits me, virgin ice and all, rather than hacks to bits and lots of easy hooks in previous placements on the downfall. Funny thing is, it hardly saw much action in late 70s / early 80s when conditions were arguably even better.

OP tetley 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Perry:
H'mmm, but in all fairness, there's nothing which provides a 25+m pitch of ice. It is a good route if you can accept the crowds, but that doesn't mean accepting dangerous practice. I can't believe that most people are going there just to look good!
In reply to tetley:

There are routes of comparable lengths , you clearly haven't been over to the northern edges in the past week. But that good by me if they remain rarely visited locations for winter climbing.
 jas wood 27 Jan 2013
In reply to A Game of Chance: you just don't get it do you! what bragging rights would you get climbing an unknown fall and who are you going to show off to if your by yourself :O) Zombies.
 LucaC 27 Jan 2013
In reply to jas wood: After a pair of Frenchies tried to death-by-absail me ice climbing in Cham, I've decided to tie big overhand knots in any ropes which appear above me. Absailing onto a climber is basically inexcusable, especially if an alternative descent line is available.
OP tetley 27 Jan 2013
In reply to A Game of Chance:
Wow, are you always so gung-ho and argumentative in your posts. Glad to hear you've been up doing lots of great unspoilt routes away from the masses, whilst we lesser mortals have to visit the Downfall.
I only know the route up to the Downfall, so wouldn't dare venture off the good trail others make for me. I may get lost!
In reply to tetley:

Not gung ho or argumentive at all. Just pointing out there are alternatives close by if you want to get away from the downfall which will always be busy and full of muppets, given it gets the coverage online that it does.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...