UKC

torpantau and surrounding areas this weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr-Cowdrey 12 Mar 2013
Was thinking of heading to Brecon for a day this weekend but is there anything in? Is Torpantau climbable after this cold spell? And what about other routes on pen y fan etc?
 gethin_allen 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:
This is getting like the kinder downfall "it's been cold for 5 min is it in yet" threads.
I seriously doubt anything in the Brecon beacons has been cold enough for long enough to make anything climbable.
 Webster 13 Mar 2013
In reply to gethin_allen: Looking at the forecast on snow-forecast.com and given the known cold of the last few days i would say that yes, routes on the headwall of pen y fan and maybe the gullies could well be in condition by the weekend, providing there has actually been some snow up there which i cant comment on. there is due to be some freeze-thaw going on this week with summit temps barely reaching +1. as for torpantau, its that bit lower and as its water ice it requires more sustained cold, so i would suggest no.
 Levi 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: Good ice now at RAC boulders. Has again been very cold at height the last few nights(-4 to -7). Caerfanell Falls (some call Torpantau) likely to be climbable (600m). No significant snow on hills so no snow gullies. But turf likely hard frozen as will ice bands in central gully . Wet and milder at weekend so will all go most likely. As ever do it now or miss it. You've got tonight, tom morn or probably next December.So turn the TV off, make your appologies, set your alarm clock and just do it.
 Valley Boy 3 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: Heading up first thing tomorrow to Pen y Fan so I will report back conditions, looks like tomorrow night thing's are getting warmer!
 Run_Ross_Run 13 Mar 2013
In reply to gethin_allen:
Do you live anywhere near the Brecon Beacons?
 Welsh Kate 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:
From the cracking photos put up on a social networking by a friend of mine earlier, Torpantau is most definitely in condition.
 Dave Williams 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

RAC corner gullies all frozen today, with ice from bottom to top. No real thickness of ice though - although you could probably have climbed most of them as a bit of a 'stunt'.

Dave
 Run_Ross_Run 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:
Torpnt' was climbed today. Cant see if it was logged (on mob) and it looked pretty thick when it was done. Most snow since then so should look a bit more wintery come tomorrow.
 afshapes 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: torpantau is in and given the heavy frost we had last night I wiukdbt suggest getting on it now! I've got to work but my mate and I got it surprisingly good yesterday. "He who dares rodders, he who dares....."
 ERU 14 Mar 2013
In reply to afshapes:
> (In reply to Mr-Cowdrey) torpantau is in and given the heavy frost we had last night I wiukdbt suggest getting on it now! I've got to work but my mate and I got it surprisingly good yesterday. "He who dares rodders, he who dares....."

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151785605039838&set=o.18147711...
 timjones 14 Mar 2013
In reply to gethin_allen:

You're seriously underestimating how quickly some of the routes can come into condition with the right wind direction.
 afshapes 14 Mar 2013
In reply to ERU, link failed is it today?
 spearing05 14 Mar 2013
In reply to afshapes:
> In reply to ERU, link failed is it today?

It's your photo of me mate. You're not missing much.
 afshapes 14 Mar 2013
In reply to spearing05 ; ahhh never mind
 Valley Boy 3 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: Up on Pen y Fan first thing this morning and there is no routes on the face in condition at all, no surprise there! Some snow on the highest peaks but it was melting fast! The face of Cribyn was in much better condition with a dusting of snow and well frozen turf but temps are rising!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...