UKC

Trip Report : Night ascent of Tower Ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 planetmarshall 14 Mar 2014
In a bid to avoid the inevitable crowds, myself and 3 friends headed up Tower Ridge at 1:00 am on Wednesday morning.

http://planetmarshall.co.uk/2014/03/13/a-night-time-ascent-of-tower-ridge.h...

Andrew Holden 14 Mar 2014
In reply to planetmarshall:

Well done to you sir. Inspiring report
 JohnnyW 14 Mar 2014
I was equally inspired by Murray, and have only been waiting for a coincidence of the weather, my work and a moon. This year has scuppered it so far, but yer never know!

Good on yer.
Post edited at 15:37
 peebles boy 14 Mar 2014

Congratulations, a trip that will surely linger in your mind for many years to come.
Interesting initial discussion about choice or necessity for climbing at night. Over the last two winters I've had 3 intentional night climb trips - all of them especially memorable in their own right! I think there's a definite "need" to sometimes climb at nite, when either work or temperature don't combine to favour day based, but there's definitely something magical about choosing to start a climb in darkness, and finish in the dark too or the dawn of a new day. All the more so if the moon is big and bright and headtorches are simply and unneeded luxury item to bring along!

Cheers,
Gordon.
 PeterM 14 Mar 2014

Nice one!
 Billhook 14 Mar 2014

Congratulations. A night time climbing is something I've only aspired to do.
 nw 14 Mar 2014

Very cool.
 allanscott 14 Mar 2014

Wow! Really cool pics. Must have been a stunning experience all round.
Removed User 15 Mar 2014

Andrew,

YHM.
Tim Chappell 15 Mar 2014
Brilliant. Well done.

One cavil: modulo the possible need for deep snow excavation, there's loads of gear on Tower Ridge in winter. Usually you can find plenty of nut and sling placements, and usually at least a few screws. There are lots of in-situs, too, e.g. there are or were at least two pegs on the eastern traverse. Mind you, you might miss them in the dark...
Post edited at 11:31
 Harry Holmes 15 Mar 2014

Climbing in the dark is pretty fun, and I don't always do it because of necessity! I like the picture of Orion Face and Mars
 Simon Yearsley 15 Mar 2014
In reply to planetmarsha

Nice. Very nice....

Great write up. Captured the essence of a stunning trip without being overlong. Fab photos too - wish I'd been there! Really like the clever last sentence!!
 Lone Rider 18 Mar 2014

Just loved http://planetmarshall.co.uk/2011/10/12/solving-listener-crossword-4151-with... without being able to understand it. Enjoyed your other scribbles as well.

Well done you for getting out there and doing it!

Cheers
In reply to Lone Rider:

Hah - cheers. Tbh I don't really expect many people to read the blog - particularly the more 'esoteric' stuff - it's for my own entertainment as much as anything.

In reply to Simon Yearsley:

Thanks Simon. I was at least in part inspired by your own talk on new routing in Scotland at the Ice Factor last year to try something a bit different. I think I'm probably running out of time this year but I hope to do some more adventurous stuff next season - beats queueing for routes in the Northern Corries.

Andrew.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...