UKC

Tryfan North Ridge et al....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paul walters 25 Mar 2013
I'm heading to Snowdonia for Easter with the plan of doing some scrambling. BUT, with the current weather, what is the condition of Tryfan North Ridge, Crib Lem and Bristly Ridge ? My walking/scrambling partner will only come if the rock is dry and not icy or snowy. I've tried looking at the webcams, but to no avail.... so can anyone tell me how much snow and ice is on the faces? If it's icy, we'll have to call off the trip
 Chay 25 Mar 2013
In reply to paul walters:
>so can anyone tell me how much snow and ice is on the faces? If it's icy, we'll have to call off the trip

Lots.
 richprideaux 25 Mar 2013
so can anyone tell me how much snow and ice is on the faces?

ALL of the snow that has ever fallen on the surface of the Earth by the looks of it...
 Adam15 25 Mar 2013

If you're partner doesn't like it snowy or wet, best stay at home as its like the middle of winter
OP paul walters 25 Mar 2013

That's the deposit on the hotel lost then.......... just did two days on Dartmoor and it's put her off the whole idea of winter walking/climbing. Bu99er. I'm heading to Mont Blanc in August and wanted some exposure... AND I need to break in my B3's !
 Dave P 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Adam15:
All in full winter nick. In fact I can't think of a single scramble in northern Snowdonia that would be snow free. You could have a scrambly day out on Holyhead Mountain on Anglesey I suppose - I don't think there's any snow there at the moment. But you'd be doing bits and bobs of scrambling to contrive a day out! Good luck!
 Chay 25 Mar 2013
In reply to paul walters: Why not head down anyway? Drive over to Anglesey; plenty of nice easy D/VDs at Holyhead mountain that could be nice? And just have a little gander around Idwal lake or something if she's not keen on going too high; few beers in the hotel chucked in. Seems a shame to lose the deposit.

C
 Chay 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Dave P: beat me to it!
OP paul walters 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Chay: Latest traffic report says Britannia Bridge closed due to high winds ! Ynys Mon is out then!
 Chay 25 Mar 2013
In reply to paul walters: Don't let that stop you mate; there are two bridges- often one is open when the other closed. In addition, there'll be open by the morning; it's only really high winds they close for.

I cross the bridge most days and I've never known it closed completely for very long.

It'll be open over Easter.
In reply to paul walters: The biggest problem you'll encounter in Ogwen valley at the moment is parking. Because the laybys dont get cleared of snow it seems to give people the right to abandon their vehicles where ever they stop. The Idwal cottage CP is inaccessible at the moment, the laybys all along the A5 there are ok but as mentioned above, people have just been pulling up and getting out - no evidence of actually parking.

As for the climb - there's a lot of loose unconsolodated, wind-blown snow in the area. if there's a thaw and freeze it will be great (or not so much depending on what you're after!). It was glorious in the valley today though it was still quite windy and I wouldn't like to be on the summit of any significant peak. this might change but easter is like a whole week away so your guess is as good as mine but I doubt the snow will dissappear that quickly given the temperature at the moment.
 NottsRich 26 Mar 2013
In reply to paul walters: This page might be of use to you:

http://www.ogwen-rescue.org.uk/oggi_cam/
 Rory Shaw 26 Mar 2013
In reply to paul walters: Plenty of nice low level and coastal walks on Anglesey and the Llyn penisula. Plan in a couple of pub stops... sorted

Yep Ogwen Valley was dubious last week before all the weekend snow. Cadair Idris was in good condition last week, no idea now though. Managed to make it someway up Tryfan South Side before having to turn back last Thursday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...