UKC

Video- The Upper Couloir (II) on Stob Gabhar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wee Davie 24 Feb 2018

Here's a wee clip I've edited of me and Daf Morris solo'ing The Upper Couloir (II) on Stob Gabhar, Bridge of Orchy. It was in prime nick, neve'd up and nice and icy for the crux bit. Definitely recommend this route for a great hill day. I'd wanted to do this since I first bought a copy of Ken Crocket's '100 Classic Climbs' back in the early 90's so it was great to get it done! 

vimeo.com/257299504

Post edited at 21:54
 Matt Buchanan 24 Feb 2018
In reply to Wee Davie:

Awesome Davie! A great day out. I got that book when I was 14. I'm ashamed to say I nicked it from the school library. In my defence, I still have it and I'm still inspired by it! You gotta keep trying to live those teenage dreams!

Post edited at 22:59
 Boogs 24 Feb 2018
In reply to Wee Davie:

Quality , nice one chaps .

Joak 25 Feb 2018
In reply to Wee Davie:

Crackin wee vid Davie. Ken Crocket's "A long approach march through beautiful country culminating in the ascent of a magnificent mountain by it's summit gully." sums the route up a wee bit better than the SMC's  "The route should be considered as only part of a good day out, to avoid a potential feeling of anti climax."  Like you said, a great hill day. Funnily enough me and ma mate had considered it for today but went elsewhere instead.....wanted tae be back hame oan time tae see a gemme o rugby    

Doug 25 Feb 2018
In reply to Wee Davie:

Thanks for that wee video, brings back memories of a sunny, snowy day back in the 80s, but also a little sadness as two of the four in the group are no longer with us.

michaelb1 25 Feb 2018
In reply to Wee Davie:

thanks for the video of a real gem of a route. As the video shows, the ice pitch is good value for II. A mate and I developed a strange obsession with this climb in the early 90s, as well as Ken Crocket it was recommended by Bill Murray in 'Mountaineering in Scotland' (or the other one). We made several attempts, all defeated by soft snow on the walk in or poor weather (no conditions weren't always better in the 90s).  Since we lived in Essex at the time, this was quite a faff. I remember trying to sleep in the car at Tyndrum listening to the rain bounce off the roof. 

Eventually a different friend and I climbed it in 1996. The Blackmount are a fantastic range, the route should be considered as a great mountain day with a short climb as a bonus.  

OP Wee Davie 25 Feb 2018

In reply:

Thanks for all the compliments folks. It’s a superb day out & I agree the SMC write up is a bit mean. I rate it higher than many grade IIs I’ve done. 

JayPee630 25 Feb 2018
In reply to Wee Davie:

Yeah, it looked steep and quite harsh! Lovely video, thanks.

DaveHK 25 Feb 2018
In reply to Wee Davie:

I did it about 20 years ago, walked in with my dad, he went up the ridge to the summit and I went up the couloir. I popped over the cornice just as he was walking past. A great day out.

In reply to Wee Davie:

Nice Video Davie, really enjoyed it. Conditions looked great.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...