UKC

What happened today on the Ben?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 12 Feb 2015
We were at the top of Comb Gully when we heard sustained screaming that seemed to be coming from some distance away. It did not sound good. Cloudy at the time so hard to tell which direction it was coming from. On the way down we met a team who'd selflessly abandoned their route in order to go and investigate, but they couldn't find the source: presumably other help had already arrived. Anyone know what that was all about?
 chris_s 12 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

Think we were behind you on Comb Gully and heard it too. Seemed to be coming from the Tower Ridge area. Sounded horrific but no sign of any rescue or activity after we topped out.
 Scott Dunkley 12 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:
''Twas rumoured that Mr adventure himself 'bear Grylls' was filming on the Ben today ? Not sayings it was related but
nice to see that some decent people tried to at least go see and help
 Mike Lates 13 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

I put it down to extreme hotaches or ecstasy for still being alive when nothing else followed up.
In reply to Scott Dunkley:

You couldn't make it up, really. He was indeed there today for some pants survivalist show. If this one's down to him, I'd love to see the fans on here spring to his defence.
 FactorXXX 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

You couldn't make it up, really. He was indeed there today for some pants survivalist show. If this one's down to him, I'd love to see the fans on here spring to his defence.

Well, at least any well intentioned rescuers could have gone into the hospitality tent for nibbles and cocktails...
Kev Shields 13 Feb 2015
In reply to FactorXXX:

Part of me hopes it was them as I'm guessing then it was all just very convincing acting the other part of me wants to invoice the p***k for a heli drop off back to the route/gear we abandoned to go searching for what we thought was going to be someone in need of help!!
 verygneiss 13 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:
Looks like Kev Shields noticed it too: http://kevshieldsclimbing.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/the-right-choice.html
Post edited at 06:46
In reply to verygneiss:

Was it his post at 4am that first tipped you off?
 PeterBlackler 13 Feb 2015
"...we began to hear blood curdling screams coming from the mist somewhere near us. We had a very short discussion and decided the decent thing to do was go have a look in the general direction to see if we could help.... I felt somewhat guilty at making the decision to go searching after Dave had put in a good lead in fine conditions but thankfully the boys agreed and I didn't get lynched. Sometimes making rapid decisions under stress can lead to feeling like an arse but had someone needed help I'd have been glad we bailed to try help"

_Absolutely_ the right choice
 verygneiss 13 Feb 2015

Woops, nil points for reading comprehension. In my defence, I'm an eejit.
 JJL 13 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:
Did anyone make any exploratory phone calls?
Assuming signal? Which I have no idea about given how long ago I last did routes there!
Post edited at 08:35
 jezb1 13 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

Is everyone really sure Bear was there at the time? I heard he was over east yesterday...
OP Tricadam 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Kev Shields:

Putting 2 and 2 together, it was you guys we met on the way down. I was impressed by your team's decision to try to do what you could to help, irrespective of whatever it will turn out to have been that was going on.
In reply to jezb1:

> Is everyone really sure Bear was there at the time? I heard he was over east yesterday...

He was tw@ttering about leaving the Ben last night, in order to do some press for the TV show.

I know it should be innocent until proven guilty, but could he really be *this* much of an idiot?
 summo 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie: > but could he really be *this* much of an idiot?

Yes

If it was them, then they should really have put notices on the approach path so people knew not to react etc.
 dustyrat 13 Feb 2015
In reply to summo:

Shameless promotion on BBC Radio 2 right now, maybe someone should call in?
Kev Shields 13 Feb 2015
In reply to dustyrat:

If Bear and his crew were responsible and it was all an act theres no way Radio 2 would broadcast what I'd say to them
 dustyrat 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Kev Shields:

I read your blog posting earlier, commendable action choosing to descend and investigate
redsonja 13 Feb 2015
In reply to dustyrat:

Plus 1.
 kwoods 13 Feb 2015
In reply to redsonja:

and +2
 Roy Davidson 13 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

We called this in to fort bill after hearing the horrific screams for help which lasted four or five minutes before stopping suddenly

We abbed down from glovers chimney to look but found nothing, spoke to peeps in and around Cic hut who also knew nothing

Fort bill police confirmed later that evening that there were no reports of anyone missing , if it was bear then it was pretty irresponsible to not alert others that it was a set up...
 Mr Lopez 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Roy Davidson:

Anyone pointed it out to him yet? I reckon he owes Kev that heli ride back up to the Ben. Some twitter heckling and maybe someone with a contact in the press should get the ball rolling nicely.
Climber 1981 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Roy Davidson:

I think we were the party behind you on Glovers Chimney when the screams started and both myself and my climbing partner were very concerned about it and glad that you had called it in. It really sounded like someone was in terrible trouble.

Sorry to go off topic but did you loose a Walklie Talkie? We found one at the last belay and collected it (see post in lost and found).

TobyA 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> Anyone pointed it out to him yet?

I've tried https://twitter.com/TobyinHelsinki/status/566319506902224897 lets see if there is any response - presume he has PA doing his twitter.
 Pedro 13 Feb 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Nice one TobyA. Pedro.
In reply to TobyA:

Good one! Although when you look at his twitter feed there's no sign of your post. Admission of guilt by him or just pr deleting a negative post?
 Oldsign 13 Feb 2015
In reply to tallpaulselfridge:

Just retweeted it to see...
In reply to Pedro:

+ 1 to that

did MR go out in response to call? pretty serious if they did and it turns out it was all part of a stunt
 Oldsign 13 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

Actually there are nine retweets and counting

Interesting to see where this goes...
 Roy Davidson 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Climber 1981:

We did lose a radio, think my brother has replied to you in lost and found, thanks for picking it up

I recall shouting down to you guys before calling it in, didn't sound like a simple fall and bit of panic, persistent shrieks were pretty chilling

Hope whoever it was got off ok, strange that no one seen or heard from the group/individual
 fire_munki 13 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

I was the 3rd retweet and went straight to Mr Bear's page but couldn't see it? Mind you I don't understand twitter!
 mlt 13 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

If this really was Bear Grylls and it was him shouting for TV, I hope he gets ripped to shreds.

I remember many years ago someone shouting 'help' a few times over. We called out, tried to find the source (it was at night and on a big plateau where the sound carries) but with no luck. Rescue was notified but nothing was found. A while later someone was reported missing, but nobody knew of their whereabouts until a body was found inside a vertical shaft (I think) the following year. Hopefully this isn't the same sort of thing...
Removed User 13 Feb 2015
In reply to mlt:

> If this really was Bear Grylls and it was him shouting for TV, I hope he gets ripped to shreds.

by a real bear.

SpartanOne 13 Feb 2015
In reply to mlt:

I also remember climbing on SCNL one winter a few years ago and whilst on a route hearing a very distinctive female scream echoing all around me.

My climbing partner and I were convinced that someone had decked out big time - we frantically searched the valley floor and below the major routes to find nothing. Checked with a few teams on the way down and they had heard nothing - very spooky - just shows how the mountain environments manipulate sound.

But by the details of this incident - if bear is responsible he deserves to be crucified for his reckless actions!
 simondgee 13 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

A straight up question to SHINE (TV production company) will probably get a reply if it is tied in with the upcoming series. It may be surprising but they are very credible and conscientious ...that they produce entertainment that some of us don't necessarily buy into doesn't make them culprits...they will have concerns if this has happened...as ultimately it the broadcasting commissioners who pay them. Bear Grylls Ventures (his management company) may be less accommodating or constructive (...about as useful as spleen venting on UKC).
 Oldsign 14 Feb 2015
In reply to mlt:

Me and the missus were walking down from the top of Malham Cove once when we heard a fella screaming his guts out. We'd seen a couple climbing on the crag there when we were further up and our first thought was that they'd come a cropper. But it seemed in the end that it was just some eejit walker having a bitbof a primal scream jobby from off the top of the cliff. That kind of thing properly puts the shitters up you. Not very considerate if you ask me.
 coinneach 14 Feb 2015
In reply to Oldsign:

Primal scream jobby?

Off the top of the cliff?

Yeuch.

Hope there was no one at the bottom.
 Oldsign 14 Feb 2015
In reply to coinneach:

> Hope there was no one at the bottom.

That might have been the cause of some of the screaming come to think of it...

Mr Lopez 14 Feb 2015
In reply to simondgee:

Just had a wander, and it seems these series are produced by betty rather than shine. No e-mail contact that i could find though http://www.betty.co.uk/contact

Edit: I'm an eejit... It was right there info@betty.co.uk. And ccing the following wouldn't go amiss. chief.scout@scouts.org.uk Contact@beargryllsventures.com PR@beargryllsventures.com
Post edited at 11:21
 simondgee 14 Feb 2015
In reply to Mr Lopez:

It may have been a special but the new series is Shine. Telephones work much better. Series producer.
I wasn't there so am not in position to complain. If I was and I was bothered I would pick up the phone.
 Mr Lopez 14 Feb 2015
In reply to simondgee:

Mission survive? http://www.betty.co.uk/programmes/details/bear-grylls-mission-survive

Or is there another one?

P.s. This mission survive thing is in the jungle, so Cancun i reckon rather than Ben Nevis.
 Peter Leeming 14 Feb 2015
In reply to Mr Lopez:

If I may offer this to clarify a few things ~ we were up on Aonach Mor on Wednesday morning and there was a film crew and Bear, and from what I can make out they were filming for this:

"Bear Grylls is joining ITV to present a new series that will see him pursuing adventures across the UK.
With a working title of Britain's Biggest Adventures with Bear Grylls, the show is produced by Nutopia and Grylls's BGV company.
Grylls will be seen exploring and educating viewers on the UK's natural geology, botany and history over three 60-minute episodes.
The explorer said: "I am so proud to bring this adventure-natural history format to ITV and what I love is shining a light on so many of the incredible adventures that are so entwined with this country, all the way back to when it was first formed as the land mass that we now call Britain."

From this link:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a611491/bear-grylls-to-front-itv-show-b...

I was back in England on Thursday so I can't comment on the screaming on Ben Nevis.

We chatted to one of the researchers on the summit of Aonach Mor whilst helping to look for a dwarf willow for them (!!!) ~ we just happened to be three Biologists and a keen naturalist ~ I can only hope that they check the information we gave them on the Arctic flora before it goes out in May..... !

Mr Lopez 14 Feb 2015
In reply to Peter Leeming:

Sweet. Thanks for that
 chris_s 14 Feb 2015

Before the BG lynch mob is assembled... I heard the screams and I would be very, very surprised if it were acting. They were chilling, terrified screams. My first thought was that I was listening to someone who had just seen a loved one plummet to their death. A few minutes later I heard some crying. My partner also heard cries for a tight rope before the screams.

I saw the huge Bear Grylls production team an Aonach Mor on Wednesday, but there was no sign of them on the Ben on Thursday. They may have been there, but I'm pretty sure we would have seen or heard other signs of activity.
 Jamie B 14 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

Wow. There is absolutely zero proven linkage between the screams (which I heard) and Mr Ghrylls. People do seem to be galloping forth on the trusty charger of assumption...
 Michael Ryan 14 Feb 2015
In reply to Jamie B:

> Wow. There is absolutely zero proven linkage between the screams (which I heard) and Mr Ghrylls. People do seem to be galloping forth on the trusty charger of assumption...

Yeah, Bear was in luxury hotel at the time, nowhere near the Ben!
 TobyA 14 Feb 2015
In reply to Jamie B:
I think its more a case of people being very concerned because it sounded so worrying but then going to try and help but not being able to find the origin, and it seems the police not hearing anything either. Obviously people like Kev above, abbing off routes to try and help, must have been very worried and subsequently perplexed.

If it was nothing to do with Bear, then it would be good for them to say so. Hope everyone else came home safe too. BTW, I've nothing against Mr Grylls, his TV programmes aren't really my thing but I respect his work with the Scouts and my kids like some survival books of his they have.
 jezb1 14 Feb 2015
In reply to Jamie B:

> Wow. There is absolutely zero proven linkage between the screams (which I heard) and Mr Ghrylls. People do seem to be galloping forth on the trusty charger of assumption...

This

I'm 99% certain he wasn't on the Ben that day.
 simondgee 14 Feb 2015
In reply to TobyA:

> If it was nothing to do with Bear, then it would be good for them to say so.

there are a lot of people that need to say it wasnt them!

simondgee 14 Feb 2015
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Given that we have been contacted by Shine regarding the production yep ...but the man hath many fingers in many pies.
 fmck 14 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:
I dunno but maybe the mad geezer with an axe found another bench up there?
Post edited at 20:32
In reply to Jamie B:

"Now heading back from Ben Nevis to do press for our new @ITV #MissionSurvive series that starts airing next Friday- & it's a v cool show!"

This was the tweet that Grylls put out on Thursday evening - hence the 'assumption' that he was on the Ben on Thursday.

What's actually happened here is that people have asked, both directly and indirectly, whether he had any involvement in what sounds like a horrendous and nerve-shredding episode; so far, deafening silence whilst he continues to gurn on national TV. A simple statement would suffice, but his - and his minions' - reticence is looking a little suspect.
 planetmarshall 14 Feb 2015

It was an assumption. Not an 'assumption'. We don't know whether the author of the tweet knows the difference between Ben Nevis and other mountains in the vicinity, such as Aonach Mor, or how long after their departure it was authored. Nor does anyone appear to know if Bear Grylls or his production company pays attention to vitriolic threads on UKC.No one seems to know anything, in fact.
 Mike Lates 14 Feb 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

It was very peaceful on Thursday in the corrie and, IMHO, no way was there a film crew in there. My comment re hotaches may have seemed flippant but the french or italian teams on the Chute were taking absolutely ages and I really hope it was one of them loosing the plot rather than a couple of folk lost in a hole below no.5 gully or similar.
> What's actually happened here is that people have asked, both directly and indirectly, whether he had any involvement in what sounds like a horrendous and nerve-shredding episode; so far, deafening silence whilst he continues to gurn on national TV. A simple statement would suffice, but his - and his minions' - reticence is looking a little suspect.

Reticence is only looking suspect if you've already made up your mind to lynch the guy.

Alternative scenario: maybe he wasn't there and his so called "minions" (unsure why you use a derogatory word here other than to indirectly have a pop at Bear) understandably can't be arsed to answer yet another anti-BG UKC lynch mob?

And suppose they offer a simple statement saying he wasn't there. The lynch mob will just refuse to accept it even if it is true.
Post edited at 23:02
 simondgee 14 Feb 2015
Ha Ha the great british climbing community at its greatest...there is noise on a mountain ...and you want somebody who there is no evidence that he was there (Aonach Mor is Ben Nevis in media land) and has almost certainly got better things to do than try and work out what on earth you are twittering on about on some pointless social media feed that he certainly doesn't have anything to do with...if he wasn't there why would he know what you talking about or need to justify himself. ...I'm not defending him just observing the arrogant self importance of your assumptions. How do we know it wasn't Ray Mears?
EDIT Ha Ha you beat me to it Nick!
Post edited at 23:05
 JLS 14 Feb 2015
In reply to simondgee:

>"How do we know it wasn't Ray Mears?"

Ah! Now it all starts to make sense...

The day before I was sure I saw Ray Mears in Fort William Nevisport purchasing an ice axe. It didn't seem funny at the time but he cracked a joke with the shop assistant about, "being able to kill a bear with that".

Did he mean bear or Bear?
Did Bear tweet he was on his way back to London or did "someone" tweet for him?
Perhaps at this very moment Bear lies bleeding and broken only 300m from the comfort of the CIC hut where a group of braying Jefferys are relaxing while quaffing whisky or lu shan yan wu tea.
Maybe we should mount a search and rescue operation?
Anyone free for it next weekend?
 chris_s 14 Feb 2015
In reply to Mike Lates:

Yep, I've worked on these types of productions for many years and there was no sign of anything like that going on. The previous day they were filming on AM with a drone, helicopter, multiple cameras, big safety team, etc etc. Nothing like that on the Ben on Thursday, but plenty of speculation from people who weren't there.
Clauso 15 Feb 2015
In reply to chris_s:

I was nowhere near Ben Nevis, and I didn't hear the screams, but I'm fairly sure that Bear Grylls is to blame... Call it a strong hunch, if you will; similar to the feeling that I have about Nasty Nick Cotton on EastEnders.
 Skipinder 15 Feb 2015
In reply to Clauso:

> I was nowhere near Ben Nevis, and I didn't hear the screams, but I'm fairly sure that Bear Grylls is to blame...

And he's a Christian too! http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/bear-grylls-christian-faith-helped-51648...

That will upset the atheists LOL
Kev Shields 15 Feb 2015
In reply to Mike Lates:

Hi Mike, We went back in on Friday morning and met a large crew leaving the hut, I asked if they were filming on the Thursday which they said they were but when I asked them about the screaming they said they never knew anything about it. You're not the only one to suggest hotaches but as others above have said too it sounded way more horrifying than that though hopefully you're right!!

Kev
In reply to Kev Shields:

> You're not the only one to suggest hotaches but as others above have said too it sounded way more horrifying than that though hopefully you're right!!

Is there a UKC version of the Velominati rules?

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Rule No. 5 applies, doesn't it?

mike barnard 15 Feb 2015
In reply to Kev Shields:

Did you manage the route (Feeding Frenzy?) second time around?
cb294 15 Feb 2015
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

I like THE RULES!

Thanks,

CB
Kev Shields 15 Feb 2015
In reply to mike barnard:

Hi Mike, Dave did, I didn't mate!!
 mike barnard 15 Feb 2015
In reply to Kev Shields:

Good effort anyway. Can't imagine this has seen many ascents!
 beardy mike 15 Feb 2015
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

Rule no 5 ALWAYS applies.
In reply to chris_s:
.. I heard the screams and I would be very, very surprised if it were acting. They were chilling, terrified screams.

That is sort of the point of acting. I hear some people are quite good at it!
 David Alcock 16 Feb 2015
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

Are there two dead people or is this just conjecture?
 neilwiltshire 16 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

I just thought I'd point out that as far as I can remember, Bear Grylls hasn't ever had any element of recovering injured personnel or dealing with horrendous injuries, or any of that sort of dramatisation in his shows. He may over dramatise things, but only the adventurous element.

Personally I'd be surprised if this were related to the show.
OP Tricadam 16 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

Wow, this thread has grown legs! Surprised that we still haven't got to the bottom of it. Good news at least that MRT appear to know nothing. That was truly the most chilling sound I've ever heard. If that was acting it was far better than Holywood - or the RSC for that matter. As someone used to working in the middle of people screaming in pain and sometimes terror (obstetrician) I can guarantee that was more than genuine.
 Graeme Barr 16 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:
So the only logical explanation is that the North face of Ben Nevis is haunted?
 planetmarshall 16 Feb 2015
In reply to machars:
> So the only logical explanation is that the North face of Ben Nevis is haunted?

Was it a "Nooooooo!!!" Coming from the region of Darth Vader (VII 7)?

youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s&
Post edited at 11:26
 steveP 16 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

Nigel Pargetter branching out into Winter Climbing?
In reply to adamarchie:

Someone discovering that, in the rush to get out of the tent and onto the mountain, they'd put nixwax on their sarnies and not honey?
 Mr Lopez 16 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

Got a reply from Bear or someone from his team. They emphasize that they have nothing to do with it, and that they would not do something like that or anything which may in any way "jeopardise lives by dragging people into a false rescue."

So that's that i guess.

They expressed their admiration for those who went out to help, and wish Kev all the best and "are full of admiration for his dedication to have rightly pursued the 'screams'."

Pats in the back all around
Kev Shields 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Thanks for posting man.Good of them to reply. It wasn't just me though,Dave MacLeod and Joe Saunders were with me and there were others who went looking.

Cheers

Kev
 Mr Lopez 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Kev Shields:

Yeah, they did a general show of admiration for all involved and to MRT's in general. You got singled out in the last paragraph 'cause i sent them a link to your blog rather than sending them a link to this thread, although they must have found it by now...

Nice one Kev
Post edited at 18:42
mackfras 17 Feb 2015
You might want to check out Lochaber MRT on Facebook. They rescued someone from comb gully on Saturday.

Then apologise to Bear.

"Load, Fire, Aim...."
 d_b 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Cuillin Calling:

That sounds quite tasty actually (I also like marmite).
 Gooders 17 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

Hi all, just thought I'd respond to this. I'm a journo with Sunday Sport (I know, not a proper journo, etc, etc, I've heard it all before). I've dealt with Bear's PR team before so I put a call in at the weekend. In short, it wasn't him.

Here's the statement he gave to me. Hope it clarifies:

"Thanks for the heads up here and just for total clarity, neither myself nor the production crew were on Ben Nevis on 12th February and rest assured we would never act in such a manner to jeopardise lives by dragging people into a false rescue.
We take mountain safety very seriously as part of our job filming in mountains and jungle all over the world and as a team of mountain guides we are very proud of our record here. We are also totally committed to supporting local mountain rescue stations and are so full of admiration for communities of mountain personnel like Kevin.
We wish Kev all the best for his last climb and are full of admiration for his dedication to have rightly pursued the 'screams'. I hope you found the source and that they have been suitably apologetic!
All the best
Bear."
 leon 1 17 Feb 2015
In reply to mackfras: But the screaming happened on Thursday not Saturday

mackfras 17 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

What are MRT coming to when it takes 3 days to turn up at a rescue. (Blushes and exits....)
 chris_s 20 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

There's a piece about the Ben Nevis screams on the Out of Doors programme tomorrow. BBC Radio Scotland just after 7am.
 joan cooper 20 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie: Cant get it here will someone report story here please Thanks

drmarten 20 Feb 2015
In reply to joan cooper:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0536yjc

link to Out of Doors, available at some point tomorrow I think.
 girlymonkey 21 Feb 2015
In reply to joan cooper:

Someone wrote in to suggest it may have been Sika deer. Apparently MR have been called out before because people have reported hearing sounds which have turned out to have been Sika deer.
 chris_s 21 Feb 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

After the screams I heard the sound of a woman crying and my climbing partner also heard cries for a tight tope - definitely not deer
 Hay 21 Feb 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:
Sika deer whistle.
 girlymonkey 21 Feb 2015
In reply to Hay:

this one could sound pretty eerie in the clag, echoing up the crags!
youtube.com/watch?v=tcr7nrU5-IM&
 girlymonkey 21 Feb 2015
In reply to chris_s:

I hadn't heard that bit of the story.
 digby 21 Feb 2015
In reply to chris_s:
Is it possible that there was more than one source for the sounds. ie a deer and climber's calls
Post edited at 09:39
 chris_s 21 Feb 2015
In reply to digby:

I don't think so - there were many people who heard these screams and no doubt from anyone that they were made by a human.
 G0rd0n 21 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

My brother and I were on top pitch of Glovers chimney and he phoned it in to the emergency services. It was certainly not deer shouting expletives of sheer terror! It was a woman in some distress at the time.
OP Tricadam 21 Feb 2015
In reply to G0rd0n:

Hopefully now it's gone national on the radio, the party involved will put us out of our misery and tell us what happened!
In reply to coinneach:

> Made it onto the Beeb

Anyone else find that article a bit cringeworthy?

"There are sounds that comfort the winter climber, like the rising tone of a piton being seated into a welcoming crack."

"...reminded me so vividly, so awfully, of the dangers of this beautiful game that we play."
OP Tricadam 21 Feb 2015
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

Aw, come on, go easy on the guy. It wasn't my personal reaction at the time, but a very reasonable one nonetheless. I've never heard a living creature make a sound remotely as horrifying. No-one with a shred of empathy could have failed to be affected.
 Kemics 21 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

This is such a strange situation, it's like an episode of Jonathan Creek or something.
 IM 21 Feb 2015
In reply to chris_s:

> After the screams I heard the sound of a woman crying and my climbing partner also heard cries for a tight rope - definitely not deer

So, some people were climbing on the Ben, a person seconding - who happened to have a very loud scream - freaked out, screamed a bit, cried a bit and asked for a tight rope. No doubt scary for those involved but otherwise all fairly mundane so far; other than the ability to scream loudly I suppose. The noise spooked a few people and some well-minded individuals went to see if they could help. It seems the people involved got it together, finished their climb and went home.
As far as the great unsolved mysteries go I don't think it will be giving the 'Mary Celeste' a run for it's money....
However I still think it was all down to Bear Grylls.
Clauso 21 Feb 2015
In reply to mac fae stirling:

> However I still think it was all down to Bear Grylls.

I'm glad that you said this, because I was thinking the exact same thing.

Grylls denied any involvement, but that's exactly what he would do isn't it?... In a similar vein to the way in which he denied being in the vicinity of the grassy knoll, when JFK was assassinated. Sickening.
 Billhook 21 Feb 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

There a couple of animals and the odd bird in the Uk which could be mistaken for a human in distress. But forgive me if i'm wrong, there just isn't much for a Sitka deer to eat up the Ben really. And they are not particularily good at climbing ice either.
 Lucy Wallace 21 Feb 2015
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

Try it on Audioboom- much more effective. As a spooky tale on the radio I reckon it works well!

https://audioboom.com/boos/2916648-the-scream

girlymonkey 21 Feb 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

I don't suppose they would need to climb to be heard, the echoes around the crags can be very misleading and well amplified. However, as you say, there may not be much eating up there at the moment! I don't think I've ever seen a Sika deer, but the presenters on the radio program did say that there have been MR call out there before because of Sika. Maybe that was summer though!
 IM 21 Feb 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

'there just isn't much for a Sitka deer to eat up the Ben really. And they are not particularly good at climbing ice either'.

or shouting for a tight rope..
 Cog 21 Feb 2015
In reply to mac fae stirling:

How do you know so much about deer?
 Billhook 22 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:
Solved!!!

It was involving Bear Grylls
It did involve a Sitka deer
And it did involve climbing.

Apparently Bear was doing one of his hammed up programmes and he decided he needed to demonstrate a belay using a pair of deer antlers still attached to a real live animal. (As many of you know he 'found' some antlers from a dead munro bagging red deer on the Sky ridge and used them as a belay in one of his sketches). Of course the Sitka deer not being used to having its head jammed into a cold, snowy climbing route whilst attached to 120 feet of rope, objected strongly and started screaming loudly. The deer isn't available for comment.

This of course explains why Bear honestly could say it wasn't actually him making the noises anyway.
Post edited at 10:15
In reply to Dave Perry:
Sorry, Dave, but that suggestion is absolutely ridiculous.
Sitka deer shed their antlers in mid December and don't start to regrow the new pair until spring. (although SIKA deer may retain them until March..... so maybe....)
Post edited at 10:56
 Billhook 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Ah well, back to the theorising then!

(thanks for the spelling correction too!)

> Sitka deer shed their antlers in mid December and don't start to regrow the new pair until spring. (although SIKA deer may retain them until March..... so maybe....)

The question is what was used for the anchor in the absence of antlers.

No wonder it was screaming.

Billhook 22 Feb 2015
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Brilliant! hadn't thought of that!
 Laura Hamlet 22 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

I nearly fell off once when face to face with a fulmar, the resultant screams were described as 'blood-curdling' by my second who couldn't see me.... Do you think there could possibly be a very embarrassed lady out there who is responsible? (I have also been known to cry, shout expletives and tell my husband I am NEVER climbing again.)
OP Tricadam 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Laura Hamlet:

> Do you think there could possibly be a very embarrassed lady out there who is responsible? (I have also been known to cry, shout expletives and tell my husband I am NEVER climbing again.)

Quite possibly. I just wish she'd (wo)man up, tell us what happened and put us (and now all of BBC Scotland's listenership too) out of our misery!
 Joak 23 Feb 2015

> Sorry, Dave, but that suggestion is absolutely ridiculous.

> Sitka deer shed their antlers in mid December and don't start to regrow the new pair until spring. (although SIKA deer may retain them until March..... so maybe....)

The Sika biological antler growth/shedding cycle could be totally irrelevant . If "In situ gear" somehow became confused with "In Sika Deer," their unfortunate screams may well cause confusion, distress, and a little intrigue.... perhaps even warranting a wee mention on BBC radio Scotland
cap'nChino 23 Feb 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Someone wrote in to suggest it may have been Sika deer. Apparently MR have been called out before because people have reported hearing sounds which have turned out to have been Sika deer.

Isn't there a type of bird native to Scotland with a horrible scream called 'the devil bird' or something to that effect?

Strange business in any case.
 kingieman 23 Feb 2015
In reply to cap'nChino:

"Isn't there a type of bird native to Scotland with a horrible scream called 'the devil bird' or something to that effect?"

Twiggy?
 blackcat 23 Feb 2015
In reply to kingieman: Class

In reply to blackcat:

> Class

Why? Which twiggy is being referred to? I'm assuming not the infamously slim English model from the 60's, so whom?
 planetmarshall 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Laura Hamlet:

> I nearly fell off once when face to face with a fulmar, the resultant screams were described as 'blood-curdling' by my second who couldn't see me....

If I came face to face with a fulmar while climbing on the Ben in the depths of Winter, I'd be more impressed than anything else.

Jim C 23 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:
I have read all the guesses, accusations, etc. and one of the few things that has not yet been suggested ( so I will) is :
that there has been a Murdur on the Ben.

(So maybe we need to be thinking Taggart, and not Bear G.

OP Tricadam 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Jim C:

Wouldn't be the first time an ice tool has been employed in this manner: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/jun/16/past.russia

And I seem to recall someone having conveniently "dropped" their Quark on the Ben around the same time: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=609509

The plot thickens.
 wercat 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Jim C:

Taggart, or Gwen Moffat?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wreath-Dead-Moths-Gwen-Moffat/dp/0727822195

( the blurb talks of her "turning to crime"!
 fmck 24 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:
I once came face to face with a white tailed sea eagle on the cioch nose applecross. Didnt scream was too busy getting out the way of these huge flapping wings which I can tell you are big!

My take on this is someone being up a route who has never climbed before. Freaked, asked for tight rope, fell, totaly freaked sobbing and got pulled out. Boy friend probably chucked once reaching Fort Bill.

I did something similar with a girlfriend 20 years ago. Didnt realise at the time how freaked she actually was until melt down. Lesson learned not to just take anyone so I could do a climb.
 Nevis-the-cat 24 Feb 2015
I thnk it was the Mossy Man

Got his foreskin trapped in his mossy flies while taking a mossy pish out the back of the mossy CiC hut

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...