UKC

Winter ChipAdvisor - please contribute!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 02 Mar 2017
Everyone knows that a winter climbing day is a dnf until top notch fish and chips are consumed on the way home. I had the idea a couple of years ago of doing a Winter ChipAdvisor website but have been too busy to get round to it. So let's do it here instead! Please add your reviews and recommendations below.

Mine so far:

The Ben, Aonachs, Mamores, Creag Meagaidh:

- Sammy's in Caol, just outside FW: http://www.sammysfishandchipshop.co.uk/ This is a friendly, reasonably priced family-run business that does excellent fish & chips in decent-sized portions. No sit-in facility, but there's easy access by car to any one of a number of scenic locations! The drive to the North Face car park is ideal for allowing time for freshly cooked nosh to cool to perfect eating temperature. The one catch is that they're closed on Sundays. Opening times 5-11pm all other days: perfect for those late starts on the Ben.

- This looks like it could be a good Sunday alternative to Sammy's: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186545-d10326571-Reviews-M... Has anyone tried it?

- Whatever you do, don't go to the Pier Head Takeaway in the centre of Fort Bill unless you enjoy the taste of regret.

- Has anyone eaten at Joe's, Kingussie? http://www.joeschipshopkingussie.co.uk/ Looks promising as a post-Meagaidh option.

Glencoe:

- Real Food Cafe, Tyndrum: http://www.therealfoodcafe.com/ This place is rightly an outdoor institution. Food tends to be fresh off the fryer due to high throughput. The fish and other battered goods are always excellent and they do their chips crispier/cleaner than trad, which may or may not be to your taste. Fine home baking and good coffee always available. Sitting in is cosy, with a fire. Pricier than most other options though. And they close early: only open till 8pm in winter, so not epic-compatible.

- Bridge of Orchy Hotel: http://www.bridgeoforchy.co.uk/ This is an excellent Glencoe alternative/back-up option if you're too late for the RFC. Pretty sure I've dined here after 9pm in the past. They're pricier even than the RFC, but the fish and chips are even better - although the chip portions are small. I therefore recommend explaining that you're in danger of collapse after a long day on the hill and could they please either double the chip portion size or prepare to phone an ambulance. Nice surroundings and there's usually a fire going.

Northern Cairngorms:

- The Happy Haggis, Aviemore: http://www.harkai.co.uk/ The undisputed king of the winter climbing fish and chip scene. The ever-welcoming staff will happily serve you a reasonably-priced takeaway or wait on you at table for the warm, cosy dine-in experience - which is always the way to go in my book and well worth the extra couple of quid. Free wi-fi and a toilet with an effective hand-dryer are major bonuses. And the portions are generous. These people have a mission in life and it is to provide a public service. And they're open till 9.30 every evening. All Cairngorm blizzards should end here.

- The Plaice to Be, Pitlochry: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186566-d2227613-Reviews-Th... For those of you whose day finishes early in the Norries (shame on you!) and are already halfway down the A9 by the time dinner strikes, this is indeed the place to be. (Avoid at all costs the fish and chip shop on the east side of the main road.) The proprietor doesn't half have a face that could sour milk, but the man knows his business and you will not be disappointed, either by quality or quantity. Closing time is, however, strictly enforced: 8.30pm Fri and Sat and 8pm other days. No sit-in option.

Southern Cairngorms:

- Phoenix Chip Shop, Ballater: https://www.facebook.com/PhoenixChipShop/ Due to the tendency of Lochnagar outings to end in a blizzard in the dark, this friendly establishment's diner-style sit-in option is particularly welcome, as are its prices, designed as they are to appeal to tight-fisted Aberdonians. The other advantage of the proximity of the North Sea is the quality of the fish. A closing time of 9pm will accommodate a mild epic. Thumbs up.

- The Alyth Traditional Fish Bar: https://www.facebook.com/Alyth-Fish-and-Chip-Shop-345480015645692/ While this does require a wee detour on the way back from spots around Braemar, it is a most worthwhile one. The Braemar option, as the SMC guidebook authors would put it, cannot be recommended. (There is one in Blairgowrie too, but it's so-so.) This place, on the other hand, does exactly what it says on the tin. Really well. No sit-in option, but the excellent fresh food and portion sizes will have you dining like a king in your car. Open till 10pm Fri and Sat - excellent for those long Linn of Dee approaches (why didn't you bring a bike?!) 9pm on Sun, closed on Mon and 9.30pm on other days.

Definite gaps in the menu here, guys. Arrochar? NW? Skye? Angus Glens? Late night options in Aviemore? Reply here!
 Misha 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Great post. How about good chippies close to the M8/M74? Sometimes you just want/need to get going but then hunger strikes...
 Nbrain 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Is Sammy's not closed?
OP Tricadam 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Misha:

> Great post. How about good chippies close to the M8/M74? Sometimes you just want/need to get going but then hunger strikes...

Misha, we used to go to a decent one in Lockerbie on the way to Scotland when we were kids, but a quick search of Tripadvisor doesn't yield anything promising.

If you're passing through the west end of Glasgow on your way back down south from Glencoe/the Ben, I've always had good experiences here: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186534-d3610239-Reviews-Ph... Though some of the Tripadvisor reviews suggest a lack of consistency!
OP Tricadam 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Nbrain:

> Is Sammy's not closed?

Just on Sundays, as far as I'm aware.
In reply to Tricadam:
Shap chippy. 2 minutes from M6.
En route?
http://www.shapchippy.co.uk/
Mega!
 Pids 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

I'm surprised you mentioned the chipper in Tyndrum, didn't think any Scottish folk stopped there due to the high cost, it's extortionate!
I'd rather either eat in Fort William or wait until I'm home, won't pay the high cost of fash and chups in Tyndrum!
 Lamb 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

This is a great thread! Particularly enjoyed this quote which sums up Lochnagar well!

> Due to the tendency of Lochnagar outings to end in a blizzard in the dark

If such an outing is to occur and it is of the non-mild variety, then the 'New Shanghai' Chinese in Ballater town square will serve you late. I was once so done in that I could not actually stomach eating it after ordering I will profess!

For Skye, I cannot recommend highly enough The Waterfront in Broadford - scrap the fish, get their battered Stornoway black pudding supper, the slices are thick and I think they even do chippy sauce if you are of the East coast variety.

Down the road from Pitlochy, the Motor Grill at Ballinluig is worth the stop if heading North late on a Friday night for a greasy fill.

Before ascending to the CIC on a Friday night, a stop at Inverlochy for a pizza at the 'Ben Nevis' takeaway is also a must.

For Ullapool on return trips from the NW, be sure to stop at Deli-Ca-Sea, round the corner from the main chippy in town, down at the ferry terminal.

There is a great place for getting pies up around Poolewe area but I can't mind where, not a late option by any means, but someone else may remember. It's famous in the local area.
 TomGB 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

my mate once started a website called ChipAdvisor for the purpose of reviewing chippies across the land and was very quickly (ie within a week) told in no uncertain terms to take it down by by TripAdvisor. I think he's bought the domain chipradar.co.uk now but hasn't done anything with it.
 Andy Hardy 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Cheers for that Dave, looks like a good alternative to Tebay services
OP Tricadam 03 Mar 2017
In reply to TomGB:

Great minds and all that!

To be fair, Tripadvisor itself has led me to a few of the aforementioned chippies!
 Misha 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Dave Cumberland:
Closes at 8pm and chances of getting to Shap before then are pretty much zero...
 Adam Long 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Misha:

I know the official Tebay services on the M6 have a great rep for the farm shop etc but for the climber looking for a slap up meal they also run a truckstop at junction 38 a few miles south. Open to all, free showers, big cumberland sausage and chips about 6 quid.
OP Tricadam 07 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Happy Haggis and The Plaice to Be were both good as ever at the weekend, I am pleased to report. Looking forward to trying the new one in the centre of FW on Saturday. Overly detailed review to follow.
 gavmac 07 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Ok Adam, I'm going to ignore that this is a winter thread and add, quite simply, the best chippy in Scotland:

La Mirage in Helmsdale. Once you get past, or maybe embrace, the Barbara Cartland style decor... you will encounter the biggest and best fish and chips known to man. The portions are colossal. Prepare yourself for a lie down post meal.
 ianstevens 07 Mar 2017
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Cheers for that Dave, looks like a good alternative to Tebay services

Why would you want an alternative?????
 Andy Hardy 07 Mar 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

TBH I've not found the food to be that great at Tebay, the queues are usually long and it's expensive. Yes it has ducks, but apart from that I've not noticed whatever it is that the Sunday supplements find to gush over about Tebay.
James Jackson 07 Mar 2017
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> TBH I've not found the food to be that great at Tebay, the queues are usually long and it's expensive. Yes it has ducks, but apart from that I've not noticed whatever it is that the Sunday supplements find to gush over about Tebay.

Probably the ducks. Ducks are cool.
paraffin 07 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Shap Chippy - hardly ever open
Lockerbie - The Tower
Moffat - 2 good ones reported - sporadic opening times
Callendar - Tasty Fry - possibly not, but cheap! Mhor Fish - good but expensive.
Philadelphia, Kelvinbridge, Grt Wst Rd - been good in its day

Best chip shop in Yorks. - Little Fisherman, Yeadon - lived opposite for 2 years and put on 2 stone!
Warning to all Sassenachs - ask for a "supper" or you might get singled out for the withering stare.

galpinos 07 Mar 2017
In reply to paraffin:

> Shap Chippy - hardly ever open

Tuesday - Saturday:
Noon - 1.30 pm and 4.30 - 8.00 pm

Sunday:
4.30 - 8.00 pm
 Jamie B 07 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Another BIG vote for the Happy Haggis - huge servings, prompt and friendly and unfussy service. Always go for the sit-down option, feels warm and cosy after a hill day.

paraffin 07 Mar 2017
In reply to galpinos:
Pass through Shap frequently, so like I said "hardly ever open"

What is it with Chip Shops in England shutting at 20:00 hrs?
OP Tricadam 07 Mar 2017
In reply to paraffin:

Agree re Mhor Fish in Callendar being tasty but expensive.
paraffin 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:
Good thread. Liked your previous one on stories on (and off) on Ben Nevis.

Mhor Fish used to be the Fiery Cross (or maybe not?)

Anyway a good friend of mine stopped on way to the Snowy North.
"Excuse me, can I have a cheese pastie and chips, please?"

The woman behind the counter delivered a look like she had just dipped her face in the deep-fat frier.
"Urr yoo a v-e-g-e-t-a-r-i-a-n!!"
Post edited at 17:41
 3leggeddog 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Both the chip shops in Auchterarder are good.

The Tyndrum Inn will serve you a fair quality meal for the price of a Lillian and jockeys over the road
 Nathan Adam 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:
MaCari's is indeed very good, nice tasty batter and brilliant home made chips. As someone who lives in town this is now my regular chippy as Sammy's is just too far away to justify really but have always had a good meal from them (used to live directly opposite in Caol). Pierhead is very disappointing as is Nico's on the High Street, worth the extra two minutes up the road for MaCari's.

Little chippy by the terminal in Ullapool is quite possibly the best fish supper I've ever had, and their brown sauce has a bit of extra vinegar to it. Think one of my favourite days was climbing in the sunshine at Ardmair at the end of four days in the NW then getting down to Ullapool and having a chippy and a can of beer by the water, amazing!

Never liked the chippy in Broadford when I lived there but maybe changed now, best off eating in the Old Inn at Carbost which is fairly reasonable in terms of price but slightly inconvenient if you're climbing at the north end from Slig. Shame as there are two good chippies in Portree.

When in Aviemore we normally go to the all you can eat Italian place by the roundabout on the way into the town, not sure how late they stay open though but the pizza and pasta is tasty. Often been to the chippy opposite Tesco so that I can get the Pizza Crunch supper which no one else in the Highlands seems to do, so always in there when I get the chance!
Post edited at 18:10
 Erik B 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam: Renatos Dingwall, only 2 minutes from the A835 Maryburgh roundabout (ullapool road), car park at the back of it

3leggeddog 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Misha:

> Great post. How about good chippies close to the M8/M74? Sometimes you just want/need to get going but then hunger strikes...

Play sat Nav roulette. When hunger strikes try the first chippy close by. A little adventure on the way up.

Another recommendation is Freddies food club Glasgow. Turn right after the Erskine bridge (head for a short while in the wrong direction) chippy, kebab, pizza, curry all available. All the world in 20 Square metres.

Don't bother with this one, don't know the name of the town but turn right at the swans roundabout just before Loch lomond. Dreadful.
 nufkin 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Nath93:

> When in Aviemore...Often been to the chippy opposite Tesco so that I can get the Pizza Crunch supper which no one else in the Highlands seems to do

I've only been to this one (though not had Pizza Crunch - sounds deadly) - how does it compare to the Happy Haggis, and is it worth walking the 500m up the road to HH instead?
 DerwentDiluted 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

After a hard days winter climbing it has to be the village chippy in Hayfield.....

Jamie Hageman 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

There is a good chippy in BALLACHULISH now, where the old co-op was in the centre of the village. It's called Quarrier's.

For the poster who refuses to stop at the Real Food Cafe in Tyndrum, you're missing out. It's a great place - yes it's on the pricey side, but when the fire's on it's cosy, the staff are great, the food is excellent (snack cod or black pudding for me) and their HOT CHILLI SAUCE is divine! (ask for the milder of the three unless you can handle crazy-hot). Beats dipping chips in mayo or ketchup hands down.
 Dave Hewitt 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

There's a very good one in Ullapool, queues out the door when I was last there. Re Auchterarder, I've more than once heard the theory in these parts (Stirling) that one of the two chippers is quite a bit better than the other, but I can't remember which (or whether people with this theory all preferred the same one).

One of the nicest fish suppers I've ever had was in Hexham, but that's not ideal for hill areas. I don't know if it's the same place as the Phoenix as mentioned by the OP, but 30 years ago the social-worky chipper in Ballater (the one with the pool table for bored local teenagers) was good. Even better at that stage was the one in Kirriemuir - no idea if that's still in existence or still good, though.
In reply to DerwentDiluted:
I have a fond memory of Pudding, chips, peas & gravy from there after a winter day on the Hayfield Skyline walk on Kinder.
 jonathandavey 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Misha:

Tower chippy in Lockerbie, been reliably good for years now. Good range of battered haggis etc. No space to eat in though.
 jonnie3430 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Moto grill in ballanluig must be the best place to stop on the a9, the green welly in tyndrum does good Cullen skink too.
 Siward 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Your Kingussie option (having just had a virtual stroll down the High Street on streetview) is, I'm sure, the chippy I walked into one weekday evening with wife and starving kids in the car. I took one look and walked straight out again and we had to resort to a pub meal across the road.

It smelt of old fat, the only food visible was ancient, dried out lumps of fish- square too not fish shaped- and I have never returned to Kingussie since. It was the worst takeaway meal establishment I have ever encountered.

That was a while back though and the new livery looks as if somebody has now taken an interest in the place but I'd still be wary given past experience.
 baileyswalk 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

The Inn on Loch Lomond might not be ur traditional chippy but they do traditional fish n' chips with no option better if you re south of the RFC.
 Jeff Ingman 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Misha:

This is a very useful thread. Misha, if you get the munchies early in your journey I recommend The little chippie in Penrith, about a mile from the M6/A66 Jn and open till 9pm. There's a covered seating area outside and a pub across the road with toilets next to the in door, though I'd recommend buying a pint to wash the food down.

http://thelittlechippypenrith.co.uk/
 MB42 12 Mar 2017
In reply to baileyswalk:

The best crispy pizza I've ever had was from the chippy in Balloch by the station, only a minute off the A82. That was quite a while ago though and presumably is the one 3leggeddog refers to as dreadful so guessing its gone downhill (or quite possibly everything other than the pizza is terrible).
 Jamie Hageman 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

further to me recommendations,
If someone finds themselves in MALLAIG and needs a feed, the fish and chips (coated in oats and breadcrumbs) from The Steam Inn is the best I've had in the UK.

Best fish and chips I've ever had is in QLD Australia (breaded Barramundi/snapper, mmmm)

OP Tricadam 12 Mar 2017
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Thanks for the Tyndrum Inn tip off. Typing this on their WiFi! Definitely a good post-Coe alternative, serving food till 9. I didn't try the fish and chips (had some yesterday - see below!) but the homemade burger was very tasty, and the chips were decent - though there could have been more. Fortunately I'd already succumbed to the temptation of the superb haggis, neeps and tatties starter (with a creamy mustard sauce) so didn't feel the lack.
OP Tricadam 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Nath93:

Checked out Macari's in the Fort yesterday. Very warm welcome, a couple of tables to sit at, and good nosh, especially the fish. All reasonably priced too! And, if you still have room (which I didn't, having only been skiing rather than doing a day on the Ben) their ice cream selection looks truly epic. Thumbs up! Not quite as good as Sammy's, but a very worthy contender.

Was in the Wetherspoons (The Great Glen) too and the food in there seemed pretty good, and reasonably priced. They apparently open at 7am and breakfast is only £3.50. Good for the post-epic day off?
 Misha 12 Mar 2017
In reply to jonathandavey:

Thanks will have to remember that one.
OP Tricadam 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

> There is a good chippy in BALLACHULISH now, where the old co-op was in the centre of the village. It's called Quarrier's.

A decent chippie in Ballachulish: this is major news! And open till 9.30pm all weekend! I look forward to trying this as soon as SCNL refreezes...
OP Tricadam 12 Mar 2017
In reply to nufkin:
> I've only been to this one (though not had Pizza Crunch - sounds deadly) - how does it compare to the Happy Haggis, and is it worth walking the 500m up the road to HH instead?

No comparison. HH every time. *There can be only one*

To be fair, the other is OK though.
Post edited at 19:13
 3leggeddog 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

A little off Piste but there is a great chippy in Frizington for those scafell days.
 Neil Pratt 14 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Surprised no one's mentioned Mhor Fish in Callander - an excellent option after a day out on Ben Lawers, Ben Vorlich and the like, or just taking the dog for a walk up Ben Ledi to justify going for fish and chips afterwards! It would be No 3 on my list, after the Real Food Cafe and Happy Haggis.
OP Tricadam 14 Mar 2017
In reply to Neil Pratt:

> Surprised no one's mentioned Mhor Fish in Callander

Already a couple of mentions above

nufkin 14 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

> No comparison. HH every time. *There can be only one*

Thanks, I'll give them a go next visit to Aviemore
 Martin W 14 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

I'm going to add my name to those who are somewhat skeptical of the wonderousness of the Real Food Cafe. I'd been led to expect nipple-tinglingly gorgeous fish and chips but found them pretty run-of-the-mill. The chips in particular I recall being distinctly un-chip-shop-like: they seemed to me like they could almost have come out of a freezer - I'm fairly sure they didn't, but something about the way they'd been cooked didn't make them appeal particularly. The mushy peas were a disgrace, and went in the bin. Also, I really don't get having to eat off a paper/plastic plate when sitting indoors. Basically, it felt like hard work - and expensive - for little better than average food.

I would 100% endorse the votes in favour of Harkais. I've never known it as the Happy Haggis - did they change name, or has it always been called that and I never noticed? TBH if I was looking for food in Aviemore and didn't know better, that name would put me off rather. Probably just me, though.

Elsewhere on the A9 corridor, I did enjoy an al fresco fish supper in Blair Atholl once. The place is called Food in the Park, it's in the park (who knew?) by the river on the right hand side as you head towards Pitlochry. I don't know how it compares to The Plaice to Be but being able to eat indoors may count in its favour if TPtB is carry-out only. Obviously eating in the park requires decent weather (and no midgies) unless you are super-hardy, but if you're lucky then the surroundings are very pleasant and the food is fine. Makes a change to have hooded crows stotting around eying up your dinner, rather than seagulls.
mick taylor 14 Mar 2017
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Unless a chippy serves chips pudding peas gravy and a barm cake then they are not proper climbers chippys (a haggis supper comes a close second). Don't think this Food of the Gods is readily available in Scotland, so go for one in Keswick or Ambleside.
In reply to mick taylor:
You are quite right - can't get a fix anywhere up here. Favourite places to satisfy the need are Macc after climbing on Windgather and Kendal when I am down for the festival.
 tony 14 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

If you're venturing off the A9, the chip shop in Dunkeld is ace. Can't remember the name, but it's on the right-hand side as you head away from the A9.
 IanMcC 14 Mar 2017
In reply to tony:

If we're allowed to stray a few minutes from A9 Allanwater Cafe Bridge of Allan.
New Broadford chippy is ace Battered sliced Charlie Barley white pudding supper. Yumtastic!
IMO Real Food Tyndrum is gash
 Dave Hewitt 14 Mar 2017
In reply to IanMcC:

> If we're allowed to stray a few minutes from A9 Allanwater Cafe Bridge of Allan.

Yes, very good - for a long while it seemed ridiculously expensive but either prices have been pegged or everyone else has caught up. Last couple of times I've been there the fish and chips have been tasty, although the hard acoustics are very boomy and it's difficult to have conversations when (as almost always) it's busy. Arguably better to drive the extra couple of miles down from Keir for the pizza-pasta joys of Corrieri's - also noisy, but friendly and pretty cheap and I've never had a poor meal there in maybe 30-40 visits.

Would also agree with Tony that the Dunkeld chipper is good.
OP Tricadam 14 Mar 2017
In reply to IanMcC:
Thanks Ian, had inexplicably forgotten about the Allan Water Cafe. Superb. And with the option of sitting in. Do they still do their own ice cream?

The A9 artery is turning out to be Scotland's furred up aorta of battered goodness. Perhaps we should lobby for the newly dualled road to be reopened by Alex Salmond as The Haddock Highway, ideally with an accompanying long distance walking route to be pioneered in an 8 part television series by Cameron McNeish and Alex as they attempt to answer the question of whether successive 15 mile days, fresh air and large fish suppers lead to weight loss, weight gain, better skin or zit outbreaks: The Battered Glen Way.
Post edited at 20:09
 nickh1964 15 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Great thread, how about a chip shops of the past ?
Gargrave for fish, chips and a pie when heading to/from the lakes in the eighties, and Ruthin when Wales bound on a Friday spring to mind.
And the mighty Reecies in the fields at Edinburgh, when heading North from Newcastle. The haggis supper and the owner with a huge drinkers nose, all red and glowing, feel happy just writing about it !
 jonnie3430 15 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Sorry for not remembering earlier, but la taverna at the roundabout to the Norries in Aviemore does all you can eat pizza and pasta too. Perfect for stocking up for another day.
OP Tricadam 15 Mar 2017
In reply to Martin W:

Martin, there is nothing in the Scottish winter chip world which causes greater controversy than the RFC chops. The Mhor Fish chips are cooked in similar style: clean and crispy. The chip equivalent of sport? Safe but bland. I happen to be more in your camp in that I prefer them trad: a bit risky and oh so tasty. But still enjoy the RFC offering. And the fish, haggis, fire, coffee and home baking! Variety, after all, is the spice of life.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...