UKC

Winter conditions report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gone for good 11 Feb 2021

This morning at 0700hrs I can happily report superb winter conditions.

The Velux window in the bathroom had a 5mm coating of hard frost on the outside. The turf in the garden was beautifully frozen to a depth of several centimeters after several days of zero or sub zero temperatures allowing for fine axe placements. The car had amazingly intricate frost patterns plastered on the passenger side and the windscreen and the sun rose into a beautiful azure blue sky whilst the air temperature remained well below freezing. 

Sigh.........from South Warwickshire

Post edited at 09:42
 bouldery bits 11 Feb 2021
In reply to Gone for good:

I can confirm that Mid Devon is not in.

henwardian 11 Feb 2021

Sounds like Skye..... only that's what it's been doing for at least a week non-stop now.

Heading out for a walk in the Cuillin today, wish me luck....

(smug, smug)

Misha 11 Feb 2021

You should see the icicles forming in a tunnel above the canal near where I live. If I were about an inch high and had ice tools to match, it would be totally mega, sort of like Helmcken Falls.

From a friend's photo, the icicles in the Chee Tor tunnel are even more impressive and definitely not something you'd want to hang around under without a helmet.

Elliot's Dowfall climbed today and looked funky but all there from the photos. Previous UKC log in 2018 (during the Beast from the East presumably) and 1986 before that...

This is quite annoying but exactly as I predicted months ago - 'best season ever' and heavy travel restrictions.

mark turnbull 12 Feb 2021
In reply to Misha:

yes I noticed that as well , the locals will be loving it no need to rush to get first on routes ( as there the only folk there that climb )  , and with Elliots forming it must be a great time for them . Oh the best to the local climbers up there ! Well jealous but we will survive I’m pretty sure with the amount of snow and the thaws that are coming April will be good high up , in time for the travel ban to be lifted, hopefully! 

Baron Weasel 12 Feb 2021

I taught my 7 year old how to place ice screws in a frozen tub of water here in the lakes. 

greg_may_ 12 Feb 2021

Ratten Clough on the border or W.Yorks/Lancs is in. Had a nice potter about this morning. Met one team on the way in as I was leaving. Checked out the main wall at Thieveley Pike (didn't fancy it solo) and as I was driving back past the laybe for Ratten.... two more groups getting ready to go up! 

The falls near Summit Quarry are in as well, but full sun all day, and its 3 degrees at Valley bottom now. Not sure if they'll be in tomorrow.

flatlandrich 12 Feb 2021

I'm being hit three times at the moment, not only are there some great conditions that we're not allowed to travel to but it's been impossible to work this week as well.

So plenty of time to go out but not allowed and nothing local, plenty of work to do but can't get on with it and no money coming in either. All I can do is sit at home and look at it. All very annoying and frustrating.😒

Moan over.

kevin stephens 12 Feb 2021

Earlier this week avalanche warning in Sheffield was at level 5 with spontaneous releases on the south west aspect of the solar panels - not safe to venture onto the patio until slopes stripped later in the week.  Subsequently hard going through the avalanche debris to reach the bins

Trangia 12 Feb 2021

It 's bloody cold. Car wouldn't start. Flat battery - combination of cold weather and infrequent short "stay local" journeys. Street parking so can't use a charger. Did a longer run last week to recharge it, but it still wasn't holding it's charge. Had to buy a new one yesterday. Garage said they are getting an unprecedented demand because of lockdown. 

Wainers44 12 Feb 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

> I can confirm that Mid Devon is not in.

No snow,  mind, we now have fire.....mmmm, fire....quick get the pitchforks....

Gone for good 12 Feb 2021
In reply to kevin stephens:

Solar panels in Sheffield? The optimistic nature of the human race never ceases to amaze me😄

Post edited at 14:47
 im off 12 Feb 2021

Tie bungy cord to feet. Try to horizontally climb to end of garden. Make more authentic by getting wife to kick snow in face as do it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...