UKC

Winter mountaineering courses @ Glenmore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Buzz87 03 Nov 2018

Has anybody been on a winter mountaineering course at Gelnmore Lodge? Any good?

I’m thinking of the winter mountaineering week but as it’s a ‘holiday’ as such I quite fancy their classic ridge week which sounds like more of a guided week (a few good mountain journeys) rather than a week of instructional days. Any body been on either?

colinakmc 04 Nov 2018
In reply to Buzz87:

Haven’t done their bigger courses but did their one daavalanche safety course as well as summer ML training and assessment. In my view they’re a real centre of excellence and I learnt loads in all of these. Recommended.

OP Buzz87 04 Nov 2018
In reply to colinakmc:

Thanks, I’m always hearing good things about the centre so thought I would see for myself.

I’ve done a few winter bits over the years but fancied getting out and getting some solid instruction and guiding to avoid any bad habits forming

HannahC 04 Nov 2018
In reply to Buzz87:

The winter mountaineering course was great at Glenmore. However if you have the skills that the courses teaches the classic ridge week would be more potentially interesting as it would put into practice the skills learn on the winter mountaineering course.  

I had planned on doing the west coast mountaineering course myself having done the skills then stupidly feel off bouldering... 

OP Buzz87 04 Nov 2018
In reply to HannahC:

Thanks Hannah, The skills I’ve got have been picked up when out with mates etc so thinking it.ll be good to get some solid instruction and guidance. I’ve seen the west coast one, looks good too

In reply to Buzz87:

One thing to consider with a course at Glenmore Lodge is that a lot of the best terrain is dependent on the ski road being open. If it is snowing or windy the road will not open for many hours, and might not open at all. 

With this in mind I’d probably do a course on the West Coast or up in the NW Highlands as there is a greater variety of terrain. 

Moran Mountain’s Winter Mountaineering Courses are great fun, especially if you want more of a guided experience. https://www.moran-mountain.co.uk/winter

HTH

BnB 04 Nov 2018
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

> One thing to consider with a course at Glenmore Lodge is that a lot of the best terrain is dependent on the ski road being open. If it is snowing or windy the road will not open for many hours, and might not open at all. 

> With this in mind I’d probably do a course on the West Coast or up in the NW Highlands as there is a greater variety of terrain. 

> Moran Mountain’s Winter Mountaineering Courses are great fun, especially if you want more of a guided experience. https://www.moran-mountain.co.uk/winter

> HTH

I’d strongly endorse this recommendation. I did Martin’s Technical Climber course two seasons back and the folks doing the introduction and basic courses we’re having a great time (including ice climbing for the more able). Convenience and conditions (early season) argue for the Cairngorms but I struggle to think of any other reason to head there in preference to the greater variety and magnificent scenery of the NW. the guides will be the same calibre. Indeed possibly the same individuals.

HannahC 04 Nov 2018
In reply to Buzz87: 

If you’ve got the basic skills I’d be tempted to get some bespoken guiding and tuition for a few days. Economically if you can share this with a partner it will be work out a similar price as Glenmore Lodge price as in 2:1 environment you can skip any bits you are solid on and focus on where your practical experience is not as strong. Then spend a few days consolidating what you’ve learnt with your partner. 

For classic mountaineering west coast has more options than Cairngorms which is great for climbing but more limited in lower grades which I’m guessing you’re interested in. 

Lornajkelly 04 Nov 2018
In reply to Buzz87:

I've only been on a winter skills weekend at glenmore but the instruction, accommodation and catering are top notch. Sounds like you might get more out of the guided ridge week - if you've picked up any bad habits or have any gaps in your knowledge then I'm sure the guide will be able to give you pointers.  If you've already got some experience you might find the instruction week a bit of a waste as you'll know a lot of it already.  Benefits of glenmore as well though are the evening lectures.  I went to one about decision-making and common fallacies like "we drove all the way up from London to do Ben Nevis so we're doing it" and "that must be the way,  there are footsteps going up there". Really useful and I met some awesome people 

asteclaru 05 Nov 2018
In reply to Buzz87:

I've done two winter courses at the Lodge. I would never willingly go back. 

There are much better providers out there

colinakmc 05 Nov 2018
In reply to asteclaru:

It would be interesting to know why you make these two statements and the reasons for them.

(genuine question, cos I’m interested in your reasons)

olddirtydoggy 05 Nov 2018
In reply to asteclaru:

Is that because of the structure of it or just the instructor you had? I was there a good while back and the guide we had on the winter climbing had an infectious excitement and drove us hard, he was absolutely fantastic. The other pair doing the same course with a different instructor had somebody who was a proper misery. I wonder how much of it is more down to the company you end up with for a week rather than the quality.

OP Buzz87 05 Nov 2018
In reply to Buzz87:

Thanks guys, some good food for thought. I don’t have a partner to hook up with otherwise i’d naturally do something bespoke; you always get more out of it if it can better tweaked to your own goals as opposed to trying to cover a set range of skills to suit all.

The instruction, facilities and infrastructure are why I thought of attending a course at the lodge. Being on my own it felt like it would work better but must admit that having not been to the Cairngorms I am unsure of likely venues and if I’d get what I want out of it. I’m by no means proficient so need instruction but wasn’t keen on spending the week in the same Corries. Also picking up on tom’s point I see the ski road might have a few issues this year that may hinder venue choice.

asteclaru 05 Nov 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Both, but mostly because of the instructors I had. From what I could see, the quality of the instructors they use ranges from very good to piss poor; it really is the luck of the draw.

On the other hand, I've done about 10 courses with another major provider and every single one of them has been excellent. Why would I take my chances at Glenmore Lodge again?

Misha 05 Nov 2018
In reply to Buzz87:

If you are referring to issues with the funicular railway, that has nothing to do with access for climbers as they aren’t allowed on it anyway. The road to the car park should still get ploughed as the ski resort will still be open. The issue as Tom says is sometimes the road takes a while to get cleared of fresh snow and can even be shut all day. In that case it’s possible to walk up or go to another area - the Ben isn’t that far away. I’m sure Glenmore Lodge wouldn’t have you sitting indoors for the day just because the ski road is closed!

Bergen1backer 06 Nov 2018
In reply to Buzz87:

I did the winter mountaineering course back in 2014. It was really good, quality instruction and with the flexibility to practice the skills in different scenarios including a bit of mixed climbing. They provided kit and lunches free of charge. The accommodation was top notch too. I can't speak for their competition as I've only been to Glenmore Lodge, but I thought it was really good value.

drsdave 10 Nov 2018
In reply to Buzz87:

If you did want a partner for Mountaineering I’d be happy to buddy up with you and hire a guide out. I won’t go with GL (nothing personal) but if you wanted to share the cost with one of the independents then we could arrange that. If you’re interested then drop me an email and we can chat about it.

petestack 10 Nov 2018
In reply to asteclaru:

> I've done two winter courses at the Lodge. I would never willingly go back. 

> There are much better providers out there

I've done multiple training and assessment courses there and always been impressed.

Nick_Scots 14 Nov 2018
In reply to Buzz87:

You could hire an MIC or UIAGM Guide for 2-3 days at the beginning of the week. Climb the best conditions and best routes. Then put those skills to use the rest of the week. 

Fruitbat 14 Nov 2018
In reply to Buzz87:

Also worth looking at Plas y Brenin's winter mountaineering courses. They're based near Ballachulish so are ideally placed for Glen Coe, The Ben and Meagaidh amongst others, which maybe gives more of a 'big mountaineering' aspect and some variety to it as compared to going up to CCCP most days (not that the Gorms aren't big mountains or that the Lodge only ever go there). They have the full use of a hotel for the season and it has a nice small homely vibe, great food and a good bar. Just thought I'd mention it as many only associate PyB with N Wales.

jezb1 14 Nov 2018
In reply to Buzz87:

I'd expect you'd have a great time on a course at Glemore Lodge, they use suitably qualified staff.

If you go private check that the staff used are qualified to the right level, ask the question, don't just assume. Mountaineering Instructor Certificate or Guide would be the appropriate qualification.

Post edited at 20:29

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...