UKC

Winter pack recommendations for short people.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BenSA 13 Feb 2022

Hey all, 

I am looking for advice on backpacks, 

The pack would have to be one with a shorter/small sized back panel to suit me and also be big enough for winter climbing, and have attachements for axes ect. 

I would also love it if i could use it for summer climbing too.  

any colour is great apart from black!

Welsh Kate 13 Feb 2022
In reply to BenSA:

I can't tell your gender from your profile (though might hazard a guess that you may be a male Ben), but women's specific rucksacks will generally have a shorter back length than men's so it might be worth considering these. Deuter have a really good range - the Guide series is a great climbing pack and very tough, though perhaps a tad heavier than some others.

And regardless of what I just said, the Osprey Mutant in small size is a great pack.

Probably the best thing would be to go down to a decent outdoor shop and try a load on

Post edited at 17:07
OP BenSA 13 Feb 2022
In reply to Welsh Kate:

hey,

haha yes sorry I am male,

yeah i was more wondering if anyone had personal experience with certain packs in particular. I planned to go visit a few shops and see what i could find fit wise. 

the guides do seem a good option but as you say they are on the heavier side, 

its a shame the mutants current version is black!

Birks 13 Feb 2022
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I've got the older version of the osprey mutant in both 28 and 38 sizes, both great for a shorter back. You can still get the older version online.

The new version seems to have tweaked/improved everything apart from getting rid of the internal mesh "car key" pocket, no idea why they did that. 

climber34neil 13 Feb 2022
In reply to BenSA:

I'm quite short and have been using this season a salewa apex wall 38, I really like it, great for winter  , roll top, very weather resistant fabric, side zip entry as well which I've found really useful, well made and quite reasonably priced, found mine for £85 I think 

Duncan Beard 13 Feb 2022
In reply to BenSA:

Aiguille Alpine based on the edge of the Lake District make rucksacks with different back lengths. If you go to the shop they will sort out size for you & make to measure. Yes, they are a bit more expensive than brands manufactured in the far East but they are tough & reasonably light, it's not much more money over the life of the sack.

https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/

TobyA 13 Feb 2022
In reply to BenSA:

I'm currently writing up a review of the Exped Black Ice 30 pack - it's a very good pack in many ways for winter climbing. That comes in a small, medium and large back length - as do many of the other packs in Exped's range. Not the cheapest option though.

Annoyingly or patronisingly though, they seem to only make their climbing packs at 45 ltr and bigger in M and L back lengths. 

OP BenSA 14 Feb 2022
In reply to TobyA:

How cool! 

that is anoyying, ill have a look into exped too. 

Thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...