UKC

"Worst" winter in 100 years on its way?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/358717/Coldest-winter-in-100-years-on-w...

Fingers crossed.

Apoligies if this has been posted already.
 Cameron94 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar: They say that every year though... Lets hope it's better (or worse depending on what you like to climb) than last year!
 toad 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar: It's the Express. They are dedicated to keeping the over 65s angry and scared. In this instance it's about worrying about gritting and hip replacements.
 bluebealach 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar: Bloody hell, they struggle to accurately forecast the weather tomorrow, let alone over the next three months.

I wont be holding my breath.......just hoping!!
 bowls 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

The Met Office doesn't have such fears! Maybe the daily express are partnered up with the makers of snow shovels.

UK Outlook for Friday 23 Nov 2012 to Sunday 2 Dec 2012:
Remaining unsettled as we head towards next weekend, with showers and occasional longer spells of rain affecting many parts of the UK, probably heaviest in the west. The best chance of some drier interludes towards the east. Often windy, with the risk of gales in exposed western parts. Generally fairly mild. There is a trend for conditions to become drier for many into next week, with rain becoming largely restricted to the far north and west. Temperatures returning to nearer normal or perhaps a little below, with the risk of overnight frosts. Towards the end of November and start of December, there is a good deal of uncertainty, but on balance, colder than average conditions are favoured, with an increased risk of frost and fog, and some wintry showers.

UK Outlook for Monday 3 Dec 2012 to Monday 17 Dec 2012:
As is usual, there are uncertainties in the forecast for this period. There are however, some signs of more settled conditions across much of the UK during the first part of December. So, although there are no strong indications of any particular weather type predominating, on balance, colder than average conditions are favoured, with an increased risk of frost and fog, as well as some wintry showers.

Issued at: 1523 on Sun 18 Nov 2012
 Trangia 18 Nov 2012

The only problem with a winter like that would be that whilst the hills will be in great condition, we won't be able to get to them with roads and rails blocked!
 Jamie B 18 Nov 2012

Yawn. It is what it is - judge it in April.
 pebbles 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia: ah, but i would get to try out my new snow tyres
 Misha 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:
Yes, that's the problem! What's needed is low temperatures combined with not too much snow. Oh and some freeze-thaw as well. Oh and not too windy. Oh and nice blue skies. Oh and...
In reply to toad:
> It's the Express.

Indeed. If only Diana were here...

T.
 yorkshireman 19 Nov 2012
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to Double Knee Bar) It's the Express. They are dedicated to keeping the over 65s angry and scared. In this instance it's about worrying about gritting and hip replacements.

Exactly, on Tabloid Watch they are well known for being either obsessed about the weather, or statins being micacle cures for everything. That and of course Diana.

Just looked at last years November blog and found they were up to the same thing again.

http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.fr/2011/11/express-and-weather.html
 Sharp 19 Nov 2012
> Apoligies if this has been posted already.

I think it has, about 10 times every year for the last decade. They've been right a couple of times as well.
 krikoman 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar: The German sausage winter is the "wurst" kind
 Trangia 19 Nov 2012
In reply to pebbles:
> (In reply to Trangia) ah, but i would get to try out my new snow tyres

That's like having a 4x4, as I found. Great in principle but frustratingly useless with the roads completely blocked by non 4x4s!
 toad 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
> (In reply to toad)
> [...]
>
> Indeed. If only Diana were here...
>
> T.

Blessed Be
 Richard Baynes 19 Nov 2012
In reply to krikoman:
> (In reply to Double Knee Bar) The German sausage winter is the "wurst" kind

As a complete non-sequitur, my German friends seemed to be saying to me that wurst doesn't mean sausage as in sausage shaped;it just means sausage-meaty things, so a jar of rather delicious pig pate they brought me, complete with luscious topping of yellow fat, was "wurst." This may go some way to justifying the Scottish claim that rectangular slabs of grislte are sausage.
And yes, it will be the hardest winter ever because the squirrels out the back have all turned white and started hoarding KFC bones.
Now, do some work, Baynes.
 John_Hat 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to pebbles)
> [...]
>
> That's like having a 4x4, as I found. Great in principle but frustratingly useless with the roads completely blocked by non 4x4s!

Ah, that's only the median stage. The final stage where everyone gives up driving is when you can go out and have fun.

Then the trouble is that people assume that because they are not driving no-one else is and daddy is seen trudging along pulling little johnny on a sledge along the middle of A roads...
 CurlyStevo 19 Nov 2012
""Worst" winter in 100 years on its way?"

Mibbes aye mibbes naw.....
 nw 19 Nov 2012
In reply to John_Hat:
Hmmm...winter before last I had to walk home from work as the roads were too bad. In the space of about 4 miles I saw three cars off the road and abandoned, one on its side. All 4x4's. Smug? I was a bit.
 yorkshireman 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Toreador:

"The science does not exist to make detailed forecasts for temperature and snowfall for the end of this month, let alone for December or even the winter as a whole."

Says it all really. But why let facts get in the way of a good scaremongering?
 wilkie14c 19 Nov 2012
So we can definitivly say that kinder downfall will be in nick at some point over the next 4 months.
Or not.
In reply to blanchie14c: There was frost on my car yesterday morning in Stoke-on-Trent, surely that means the downfall is in already?
 John_Hat 19 Nov 2012
In reply to nw:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
> Hmmm...winter before last I had to walk home from work as the roads were too bad. In the space of about 4 miles I saw three cars off the road and abandoned, one on its side. All 4x4's. Smug? I was a bit.

Owning a 4x4 doesn't mean you can drive it, sadly...
 xplorer 19 Nov 2012

Yea sometime in the next 100 years this will probably happen
 George Ormerod 19 Nov 2012
In reply to John_Hat:
> (In reply to nw)
> [...]
>
> Owning a 4x4 doesn't mean you can drive it, sadly...

They forget that 4x4 means they can get going better than other people, but when they put their foot on the brake, they're just like everyone else with 2 wheel drive.......bang............
Jim C 20 Nov 2012
In reply to John_Hat:
> (In reply to nw)
> [...]
>
> Owning a 4x4 doesn't mean you can drive it, sadly...

Or park it.
Or have ANY spacial awareness whatsoever, as witnessed-at our local School.

wilkie14c 20 Nov 2012
> (In reply to blanchie14c) There was frost on my car yesterday morning in Stoke-on-Trent, surely that means the downfall is in already?

Not quite mate, a slight frost means only the Lakes routes are in
 MHutch 20 Nov 2012

My wife, who should be believed at all times, tells me that the majority of published weather models are now predicting a colder than average winter.

When I'm sitting in the garden in Bermuda shorts on New Year's Day, I'll remind her of this.

Trangia 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Jim C:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
> [...]
>
> Or park it.
>

Oh I don't know. Many of the 4x4 drivers dropping kids off at my local school are extremely skillful at mounting the kerb, and going off road to park on the pavement (blocking prams and buggies) or bettter still venturing adventurously onto the muddy verge with it's deep water filled ruts (it used to be nicely kept grass before they discovered it)

They even manage to get mud splashes on the body work so that everyone can see that they are true off roaders.

The mere plebs in their normal 2x2s can't do this and are forced to park at the side of the road, although a few have learned the art of pavement blocking.
 zebidee 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to Jim C)
> [...]
> The mere plebs in their normal 2x2s can't do this and are forced to park at the side of the road, although a few have learned the art of pavement blocking.

No well that's understandable as their their two wheel drive motorbikes would have more trouble with that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-wheel_drive#Two-wheeled_vehicles

Interesting that their dropping their kids off riding pillion though.

Sir Chasm 20 Nov 2012
In reply to zebidee: Is using their all the time an attempt to get it right occasionally?
 zebidee 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> (In reply to zebidee) Is using their all the time an attempt to get it right occasionally?

Yup - I did it so that the spelling pedants could join me on my high horse.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...