We've had our review rope (green, 60m, 'Super Everdry' treated) since late 2014, and have used it as both a half rope and a single rope for trad climbing and as a single rope for sport climbing.
Here's what we have found...
The rope handled really well straight out of the packet, being slick but not scarily shiny, and we used it with a Black Diamond ATC Guide, a DMM Pivot and a Petzl Grigri 2. It worked fine in all of these devices.
Over time it has roughed up a little bit, but still handles well and is flexible without being too soft. All in all we think this is an excellent handling rope, not as soft to the touch as some, but we still liked the way it feels. It didn't twist excessively, and was supple enough to easily go through all the belay devices we used.
It definitely feels like a lightweight rope. At 9.2mm this is to be expected, but we have found that when comparing ropes these measurements don't really match up! So this feels like a very skinny sport rope, but not ridiculously thin. It certainly isn't a fat 'Outdoor Centre' style rope.
We weighed our 60m rope (after 4 months of use) on the UKC scales and it came in at: 3321g. That makes it 55.35g per metre - the stated weight is 52g per metre.
The rope has been used for just over six months by several members of UKC staff. There are few signs of wear, and we haven't had to chop it down. It has held multiple falls on sport climbs, and been used to work a few sport routes too. We have used it trad climbing, but except for a few slumps on the rope we haven't really taken massive lobs!
The rope seems really durable, and we've been impressed with how long it has lasted, as it isn't a thick rope - so we were expecting more wear close to the ends.
A really good, well handling, durable rope. Not the softest feeling rope out there, but nice to use and hard wearing for a 9.2mm. Light enough (just) to use as a half rope, but better as a skinny single rope for sport or trad. A good buy if you predominantly want a single rope, but might need a half rope occasionally.
Performance 9.2 is the hybrid rope that synthesizes the extreme needs of serious climbers. The Performance is a certified half, twin and single rope. The Everdry/Supereverdry treatment makes this rope water and abrasion resistant, extending the life of the rope. Now featuring Unicore, the Performance brings even more safety in alpine terrain and enhanced lifetime. Trad, ice and alpine climbers call the Performance when every gram counts and the slightest bit of rope drag can mean the difference between success and failure on the sharp end.
- Supereverdry - UIAA Water Repellent : 1,1 % (optional treatment)
- Weight : Lab-52 g/m
- Standard : UIAA CE EN892
- Number of falls factor 1,77 : Single 5 Half 20 Twin +25
- Material : Polyamide
- Sheath slippage : 0 mm
- Impact force factor 1,77 : Single 8.2kN Half 6,0kN Twin 9,5kN
- Diameter : 9,2 mm
- Static elongation : Single 8% Half 8% Twin 7%
- First fall elongation : Single 37% Half 32% Twin 29%
More Info: Edelweiss Website
PRICE: £160 60m Everdry / £180 60m Super Everdry
|Various lengths and pair deals available!|
See this product at the Joe Brown - Snowdonia shop
See this product at the The Epicentre shop
- GROUP TEST: Sport Quickdraws 27 Oct, 2016
- GROUP TEST: All Round Harnesses 25 Aug, 2016
- GROUP TEST: Rock Shoes for All-Day Comfort 11 May, 2016
- GROUP TEST: Winter Mitts 25 Mar, 2016
- GROUP TEST: Winter Hard Shells 4 Dec, 2015
- GROUP TEST: HMS Screwgate Carabiners 19 Nov, 2015
- REVIEW: Mammut Trovat Power Wool Base Layer 16 Nov, 2015
- GROUP TEST: Down Jackets 16 Oct, 2015
- GROUP TEST: Camming Devices 30 Sep, 2015
- REVIEW: Lowe Alpine - Alpine Attack Rucksack 18 Jun, 2015