Senior's Ridge is an open scramble with a couple of hard steps interspersed by easy walking. It is a great way up Glyder Fawr, but as a scramble it lacks continuity. The base of Senior's Ridge can be reached from Cwm Cneifion, but in dry conditions Senior's Gully or the Indirect Start to Senior's Ridge make a good start at comparable grades. The route starts in the back of Cwm Cneifion, at the top of Senior's Gully, by a large prominent boulder. This boulder has some pockets and gives some good scrambling.
1) Go up and right along a small path to a grassy plateau, where a high traverse line takes you back left across the tops of some slabby rocks. At the end of the traverse a path zigs back right and over a rock step before heading into a grassy bay.
2) The best scrambling is up the groove in the blunt left rib. This is gained by heading up and left from the grassy bay, across a short rock slab, to reach the base of a long (but well featured) groove. At the top of this rock step, follow a path up and right.
3) The path eventually swings up and left just before a rock step. This step is avoidable by taking the path to its left but it does offer some fun (if exposed) scrambling if you take it.
4) To climb the rock step, stop at the short wall and go over to a small groove and climb this briefly before heading right where there is an exposed drop. Go round here and then back up left to the higher buttress where a long but reasonable scramble takes you up featured rock to arrive back on the grassy hillside.
5) At the top, rejoin the path as it heads up and left away from the edge of the cwm towards the summit plateau. In poor visibility, navigation to the top of Glyder Fawr requires challenging walking on a bearing.
Descent - Go back down y Gribin or by reversing Glyder Fawr via The Devil's Kitchen. © Rockfax
UKC Logbook Description
This ridge separates Cwm Idwal from Cwm Cneifion. Approach along the path from Cwm Idwal or by a climb/scramble on the Idwal Slabs. A path attempts to avoid the rock and many scrambling lines are possible. There are steep walls to the right of the crest that offer grade 2 and 3 options but some of the rock is loose/vegetated. The ridge finishes on Glyder Fawr's summit plateau.
Scrambles in Snowdonia - Steve Ashton , Snowdonia Mountain Walks and Scrambles - Mark Reeves
Please Login to view more details on the logged ascents