UKClimbing Limited is looking for an Assistant Editor to join our small team starting towards the end of 2014.
The job is a full-time position, working from home, but with daily interaction with the rest of the UKC/UKH editorial team. The successful applicant will be a good communicator, have excellent writing and editing skills, and have an in-depth knowledge of climbing around the world. They will be able to work independently and be self-motivated.
Main Areas of Responsibility
- Work in close co-operation with the News Editors on both UKClimbing and UKHillwalking.
- Source, investigate and write up news stories on a daily basis.
- Edit and sub-edit articles and news stories on UKClimbing and UKHillwalking.
- Manage the layout of articles through the site CMS and use Photoshop for basic photo editing / resizing.
- Maintain and manage the UKC social media feeds.
Essential Qualifications or Attributes
- Excellent writing and editing skills with supporting qualifications.
- Knowledge of climbing and mountaineering in the UK and across the rest of the world.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently from home.
- Able to work to short deadlines.
Useful Qualifications and Attributes - not essential but worth mentioning
- Climbing photography
- Knowledge of the Outdoor Trade
- Adobe Creative Suite Experience - Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, After Effects.
- Experience working with spreadsheets, databases and Google Docs.
- Publishing experience - online and/or print.
- Knowledge of Responsive Web Design
The job can be done from home, or home office. The applicant must be based within the UK and have a car, current driving licence, and a passport.
An up-to-date computer is required. Software will be provided where needed. Apple operating system is preferred although not essential.
£20,000 to £30,000 depending on experience.
Applications should include a covering letter and a CV including examples of published work (written and/or photographic).
Please also write and include one example news report, in the UKC house style, on a recent climbing event of your choice.
Send applications in PDF format to email@example.com
Applications now closed