NIKWAX CELEBRATES MANY FIRSTS, delivering "MUCH MORE THAN JUST WATERPROOFING"
In 2017, Nikwax marks its first 40 years in the outdoor industry. Established in 1977 by Nick Brown, the first Nikwax commercial product, Waterproofing Wax for Leather, was produced in his North London flat.
Nikwax adheres to a strong set of environmental ethics and leads the outdoor gear aftercare sector with its high performance line of PFC-free and water-based waterproofing systems. At this year’s ISPO trade show, Brown outlined how Nikwax’s ‘more than’ philosophy and dedication to innovation has led to Nikwax being the “first and only” with numerous, key outdoor industry innovations.
Where Nikwax was “the first” and is still “the only”:
- Nikwax was the first company to produce a non-softening, waterproof wax for leather climbing boots, enabling footwear to remain both supportive and waterproof. This gave Nikwax its initial competitive advantage.
- Nikwax was the world’s first company to produce a range of home-use, water-based products for restoring waterproofing. Using water-based emulsions, Nikwax has prevented the atmospheric release of thousands of tons of organic solvents and propellant gases over the last 40 years.
- Nikwax was the first to create water-based waterproofing for clothing designed to be used in a washing machine and still leads the field with its TX.Direct product.
- Nikwax is the only significant supplier of waterproofing aftercare to have never used aerosols or PFCs.
- Nikwax Hydrophobic Down is the first and only PFC-free waterproofed down to reliably withstand 1000+ minutes on the IDFB shake test, keeping the user warmer and drier for longer.