UKC

Punk Rock. The final insult.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 cragtyke 16 May 2024

https://prettyvacantshow.com/

Oh dear. Please God, no.

Post edited at 01:05
 Sealwife 16 May 2024
In reply to cragtyke:

Please tell me that’s not musical theatre.

OP cragtyke 16 May 2024
In reply to Sealwife:

I think it may well be.

deepsoup 16 May 2024
In reply to Sealwife:

It was always musical theatre wasn't it?  Used to be a wee bit more challenging, that's all.

ps:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/apr/07/john-lydon-king-herod-jesus-c...

Post edited at 11:20
OP cragtyke 16 May 2024
In reply to steveriley:

I thought that would pop up, Gid Coe played it a couple of weeks back.

Lankyman 16 May 2024
In reply to cragtyke:

I don't think punk was ever to be taken that seriously? I mean almost from the earliest days you had the likes of Plastic Bertrand and Splodgenessabounds. When, a year or two later, you got Sigue Sigue Sputnik you knew it was bust.

In reply to Lankyman:

> When, a year or two later, you got Sigue Sigue Sputnik you knew it was bust.

That was easily the worst gig I ever went to. 

Lankyman 16 May 2024
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

> That was easily the worst gig I ever went to. 

As punk was on its way out I went to see a bunch of washed up old has-beens, more for a bit of a laugh than in hope of a good show. As it turned out they literally brought the house down with a storming display of good old rock. That was Slade. One of the best gigs I ever saw.

McHeath 16 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Now why does this perversion of punk remind me of the recently advertised climbers’ “boutique” event in the Lakes?

In reply to McHeath:

Sssh, you are breaking a ukc commandment there. Opposition to such things is not to be tolerated, those involved might lose a few quid.

on a related note, I watched Steve Ignorant play a set of Crass songs recently. I took me back to my school days. Carol Hodge, who sings the Eve parts is outstandingly good.

Fewer than 50 attendees, couldn't really call it a cash in.

birdie num num 16 May 2024
In reply to cragtyke:

Even worse.... Johnny Rotten is performing at the Floral Pavilion (New Brighton) soon. Gilbert O'Sullivan was there recently 

OP cragtyke 16 May 2024
In reply to birdie num num:

Sean Ryder is doing one of those "An evening with..." type tours later in the year as well!

Maggot 19 May 2024
In reply to cragtyke:

I think that would be quite funny, I like him anyway. Most of it would probably be made up seeing as he's got limited recollection from massive drug err consumption 🤣

DizzyT 19 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Everyone remembers Slade for a few songs including the Xmas one but they’re actually a pretty decent band. They keep cropping up on playlists and every time I find myself looking to see what the band is. Ah, Slade.

Lankyman 19 May 2024
In reply to DizzyT:

Yes, Slade had some good rockin' songs that they could play live. I never saw any punk bands back in the day as I was more of a NWOBHM type. I think some of them could turn out a decent performance from what I've since discovered. If there was one 'punk' band I definitely would have paid to see it would have been The Ruts. I have their LP 'Grin and Bear It'. They could have been huge if Malcolm Owen hadn't burnt out and died.

youtube.com/watch?v=NQZ-FbCMIrU&

In reply to Lankyman:

I couldn’t recommend their first album ‘The Crack’ enough, Tremendous band, saw them a few times back in the day. I was lucky enough to see them a few times back in the day. I saw bands like The Damned and Stranglers around ‘76-78, but the very best of the bunch were The Ruts and Dead Kennedys. And Motörhead …..

skog 19 May 2024
In reply to cragtyke:

"Featuring hits originally performed by The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Blondie, The Damned, Ramones, Buzzcocks, Sham 69, The Undertones, Tom Robinson Band, Ian Dury and The Blockheads, The Police, The Jam, Generation X, Siouxsie and The Banshees, The Pretenders, Joy Division, The Stranglers, The Rezillos, and many, many more"

In the last couple of years or so I've seen PiL, The Damned, the Ramonas (Ramones tribue band), Buzzcocks, Sham 69, Siouxsie (sans Banshees), Peter Hook and the Light, New Order, Transmission (Joy Division tribute), and The Rezillos.

Also Killing Joke, Clan of Xymox, The Cure, Stiff Little Fingers (twice), Sisters of Mercy, Witch of the Vale, Corpus Delecti, Ash Code, The Hives, Theatre of Hate, New Model Army - and quite a few others.

Looking forward to Echo and the Bunnymen, Hooky again, The Cult, Tomorrow's Ghosts festival, and The Damned again. Oh - and this "Pretty Vacant" show - it looks like a lot of silly fun. And at least the soundtrack'll be great!

Maybe you're taking it a wee bit too seriously - why not forget the rules and what you're supposed to like; we'll all be dead soon enough, and none of it will have mattered. 😁😆

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...