UKC

REVIEW: Black Diamond Vapor & Capitan Helmets

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKC/UKH Gear 14 May 2024

Helmets have come a long way in recent years, and what was formerly lightweight is now midweight. Here we look at two different options from Black Diamond - the Vapor, perhaps the lightest climbing helmet on the market, and the Capitan, a knockabout workhorse at a more competitive price.

Read more

critter 14 May 2024
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

The BD helmets in M/L are a good choice if you've a large head.

Fits is personal, on trying on I didn't find the new Vapor as comfortable as the older model and extremely expensive. 

Capitan is  great personal fit, unlike the Vision, which surprised me.

Used old Vapor and Capitan for ski touring, though not indicated unlike Petzl Meteor.

Enty 14 May 2024

On the new model, has the cord replaced the plastic ratchet system at the back?

I find it so annoying when you look up and the ratchet touches your clothing at the back of your neck and releases.

E

jezb1 14 May 2024
In reply to Enty:

Yes. This isn’t a problem the new one has.

The cradle is my least favourite part of the helmet, but it no longer catches your pack / clothing.

I really like my Vapor.

Post edited at 17:54
 AliT 18 May 2024

Nice review but no mention of any EN or ISO standards that these helemets conform to. Mention of these will give purchasers an idea of impact resistance and shock absorbency.

Rampart 18 May 2024
In reply to AliT:

That they can be bought (from reputable sources) implies they meet the required standards - EN 12-something-or-other

TobyA 18 May 2024
In reply to Rampart:

Yep, indeed they can't be sold in the EU and UK unless they pass the relevant test I've always presumed?

spenser 18 May 2024
In reply to TobyA:

They need to comply with the requirements of EN12492 to enable the CE mark to be applied which is mandatory for certain products to be sold within the EU. The UK system is complicated by the hash the government has made of the UKCA mark process, CE mark is sufficient in the UK, but they want to phase it out at some point in favour of the UKCA mark.

nufkin 20 May 2024

> Unlike the Vapor which you have to treat quite carefully, you can be much rougher with the Capitan, as the polycarbonate shell extends over the vast majority of the top of the helmet, protecting the softer and more fragile foam within

Was there any experience of this during testing? My understanding of EPP - and certainly my anecdotal evidence gleaned from two Siroccos to date - is that it's notably more forgiving than EPS, and the warnings about rough treatment in bags and such are somewhat over-exaggerated

In reply to jezb1:

> The cradle is my least favourite part of the helmet

I'm glad it's not just me. Aside from that it's pretty much perfect. Just seems like a strange decision within the design process, but I'm sure they had their reasons.

In reply to AliT:

> Nice review but no mention of any EN or ISO standards that these helemets conform to. Mention of these will give purchasers an idea of impact resistance and shock absorbency.

As per the other comments, given that every helmet available within the UK market passes these tests our focus was within the real world differences. 

In reply to nufkin:

> Was there any experience of this during testing? My understanding of EPP - and certainly my anecdotal evidence gleaned from two Siroccos to date - is that it's notably more forgiving than EPS, and the warnings about rough treatment in bags and such are somewhat over-exaggerated

I haven't had an issue yet, but as is often the case whilst you're reviewing things - you always want more time to test them. In addition to that, there's the question as to whether I should have proactively gone out of my way to treat it badly - just to see how it reacts. I didn't, as I wanted to take good care of it, but maybe I should have taken a different approach. 

jezb1 20 May 2024
In reply to nufkin:

> Was there any experience of this during testing? My understanding of EPP - and certainly my anecdotal evidence gleaned from two Siroccos to date - is that it's notably more forgiving than EPS, and the warnings about rough treatment in bags and such are somewhat over-exaggerated

Having owned two original Vapors I treat my new one with kid gloves! That said I’ve used my new version for 12 months now and it’s virtually unmarked. Those old ones were pretty snappy and I think the new version will last a lot longer.

That said it’s still foam so not as robust as “old skool” shell type helmets, so I’ll keep being careful with mine!

Rampart 21 May 2024
In reply to jezb1:

> Those old ones were pretty snappy and I think the new version will last a lot longer.

The old ones were all polystyrene, weren't they? Or were they also EPP?

jezb1 21 May 2024
In reply to Rampart:

> The old ones were all polystyrene, weren't they? Or were they also EPP?

The foam part was EPS I think.

Alkis 21 May 2024
In reply to nufkin:

Out of curiosity, any ideas what the Meteor 4 was made of? The blue/silver model. I am finding conflicting reports online, some sites state EPS, other EPP, and the latest model is definitely EPS.

The reason I'm asking is that mine smashed to bits in less time than any other helmet I've ever had and I can't say I was abusing it particularly. That makes me suspicious of similarly constructed helmets made from whatever that was made of, so it'd be interesting to know. I can't find it on Petzl's website anymore and I doubt I have the box anywhere.

Sharp 22 May 2024
In reply to jezb1:

> The cradle is my least favourite part of the helmet...

I don't know why they moved away from the wheel adjustment. 

I replaced my 10 year old BD half dome with a Capitan MIPS last year and whilst it looks nice it's pretty disappointing for the money. I find it hard to adjust whilst on my head and the headtorch clips at the front don't really work with my head torch and seem quite flimsy. The old style had a wheel adjuster at the back which was easy to adjust one handed, the new style has a ratchet slider on each side which you need both hands for and is a PITA to adjust with gloves on. The mechanism also digs into the back of my head if I don't have a hat on, but I probably wouldn't feel it as much if I had hair and it's not unbearable, just a bit painful after a few hours. 

I really liked the old half dome - robust, no high side vents for ice and debris to fall in, solid headtorch attachment, comfortable, easy to adjust, light weight. I still wear it sometimes for ground work even though it's really too old now, it's just a great helmet. Not really sure how they managed to take something that worked fine and just make it a little bit shitter for twice the price. The new range looks nice though.

nufkin 22 May 2024
In reply to Alkis:

> any ideas what the Meteor 4 was made of?

I'm pretty sure it was EPS - I think the full shell covering would be the giveaway, which seems not to be necessary on EPP ones

(Plus Petzl made much of the Sirocco being EPP, and presumably would have done the same for the Meteor if it had been re-engineered)

nufkin 26 May 2024
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> I haven't had an issue yet

Hmm. Nor me, but maybe this thread will force me to adjust my faith in the EPP helmets somewhat:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/helmet_damage-771315 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...