UKC

GPS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 obi-wan nick b 18 Jul 2023

Thinking of a GPS for Road Gravel and MTB. Use.  Not too interested in all the training gizmos just  keeping on the right track - what’s  the best one to get pls - there are so many…

Doug 18 Jul 2023
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

do you need a dedicated GPS ? If you have a smartphone there are many GPS apps that may be all you need (there have been several threads about this recently)

In reply to Doug:

Thanks gig the reply I’ll check out the other threads -  will that work if there’s no phone signal in remote areas?

Ridge 18 Jul 2023

> Thanks gig the reply I’ll check out the other threads -  will that work if there’s no phone signal in remote areas?

GPS isn't reliant on phone signal, but if you're using online mapping like Google Maps then the base map won't be available.

You'll need to download maps for the relevant area to guarantee having maps available.

In reply to Ridge:I understand that the maps wd need to be downloaded but how does positioning  work on a smartphone w/o signal - - it has no satellite receiver built in??

wilkesley 18 Jul 2023

If you have a unit like Garmin or Wahoo it's paired to your phone and the phone app uses the GPS unit in your Wahoo, or whatever.

In reply to wilkesley:aaah thanks - but now apparently I need both a phone and a gps!!!

Ridge 18 Jul 2023

Most smartphones have integral GPS, thats how apps like Strava, OS Maps, Google Maps, even phone cameras get location information. It's usually listed under 'Location' in the Settings.

> but how does positioning  work on a smartphone w/o signal - - it has no satellite receiver built in??

Almost all modern smartphones will have a built-in GNSS receiver (these days capable of receiving GPS, Galilleo, Glonass & BDS).

Phone signal based positioning is very inaccurate, compared to GNSS.

In reply to captain paranoia: Brill! thanks for that I had no idea!!! 🙄

GrahamD 19 Jul 2023

With a Garmin ( at least with my Explorer 2) you don't need a smart phone but if you have one everything is a bit slicker.  On a ride, the Garmin doesn't need phone signal - it comes preloaded with maps.

I much prefer having a dedicated bike GPS so the phone is safe and dry in a pocket with full battery for back up or emergencies or as camera or even as a phone.

TobyA 19 Jul 2023
In reply to GrahamD:

> I much prefer having a dedicated bike GPS so the phone is safe and dry in a pocket with full battery for back up or emergencies or as camera or even as a phone.

I, on the other hand, have never bought a dedicated head unit GPS and always managed with just my phone. I totally see all the advantages of having one, I don't have my phone mounted on my bars so NOT needing to stop or at least slow down to take my phone out and check the map would be a big advantage if I did buy a head unit, I guess the obvious disadvantage is you need to spend around 150 quid or more to get one that does what my phone already does!

OP: I've done multi-day bikepacking trips, including in hill areas where I've not been before, using just my phone for navigation so it can be done. Obviously you'll need a battery brick to recharge your phone if overnight if camping wild, but I guess you might need to do the same for a head unit anyway?

I have a Garmin Explore hardly used and like new along with a stem mount, cables and silcone case which I would be willing to part with if a realistic offer was made. PM me if interested.

In reply to TobyA:

I tried using an iPhone for navigating for the first time in the hills recently, using the OS app. I found the touchscreen got a bit confused by rain and that the screen wasn’t really bright enough in sunny conditions. Neither of these things an issue for you?

GrahamD 19 Jul 2023
In reply to TobyA:

I'm massively impressed by the battery life of my head unit.  Provided I pause it at cafe stops I can get well over 20 hours of active use (navigating) from it.

TobyA 19 Jul 2023
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

> I tried using an iPhone for navigating for the first time in the hills recently, using the OS app.

I've literally just got myself a Pixel 7a, before then I've been using three different Moto models (G8 was the most recent I think). Each lasted about 3 years, none cost over 200 quid - so my comments are based on that experience...

> I found the touchscreen got a bit confused by rain

No. If its absolutely peeing down it'll be in some sort of placcy bag, but basic food bags let you operate the touch screen through them anyway. I've used mine a lot in winter, so snow landing on it doesn't seem an issue either.

> and that the screen wasn’t really bright enough in sunny conditions. Neither of these things an issue for you?

Seeing things in bright sunshine has only been a problem for me using the Rockfax app oddly, don't remember any issues with the OS app. Maybe something to do with the colours used? The OS app was super glitchy on my last Moto - a real pain and would crash strava as well which otherwise seemed to work flawlessly. On my new fancy pixel the OS app so far is smooth as silk. I'm hoping to ride either the Rebellion Way or King Alfred Way this summer holiday, so I guess that will be the first big test of whether the phone is enough!

Jon Greengrass 19 Jul 2023
In reply to GrahamD:

This is the main reason I switched from my phone to a dedicated bike computer, battery life, I can ride for hours with the screen on and never worry about running down my phone battery. My bike computer also has real buttons not a touch screen so its much easier to operate with gloves on and sweaty fingers.

TobyA 19 Jul 2023
In reply to GrahamD:

They do ones with solar panels in the screen now don't they - cool idea but not cheap!

I still daydream about one summer riding from my home now - near Sheffield, to my old home in Helsinki. I think a head unit would make sense for that sort of trip and probably a dynamo hub to charge it and phone (or power pack up) as well.

Brass Nipples 19 Jul 2023

> I understand that the maps wd need to be downloaded but how does positioning  work on a smartphone w/o signal - - it has no satellite receiver built in??

Yes it does , if a smartphone anyway

Brass Nipples 19 Jul 2023
In reply to TobyA:

> They do ones with solar panels in the screen now don't they - cool idea but not cheap!

> I still daydream about one summer riding from my home now - near Sheffield, to my old home in Helsinki. I think a head unit would make sense for that sort of trip and probably a dynamo hub to charge it and phone (or power pack up) as well.

A powerpack will let you use a GPS continuously for 5 days or more.  Thus at least 120 hours of riding or over 3,000km.

nufkin 21 Jul 2023
In reply to TobyA:

>  I don't have my phone mounted on my bars

But how do you know how much fun you're having without a screen showing all the stats?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...