UKC

Trail Bike Size

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Drew52 06 Feb 2022

What are the pros and cons of having a trail/enduro bike slightly too big for you?

Porky 06 Feb 2022
In reply to Drew52:

Crushed bollox

OP Drew52 06 Feb 2022
In reply to Porky:

UKC replies at its best 🤣

ChrisBrooke 06 Feb 2022
In reply to Porky:

I’m guessing that’s in the ‘cons’ column…

bouldery bits 06 Feb 2022
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

There's a market for it.

CVI 07 Feb 2022
In reply to Drew52:

This video on MTB sizing is worth a view:

youtube.com/watch?v=HyppZOpHocM&

LastBoyScout 07 Feb 2022
In reply to Drew52:

You might get away with "slightly", but "a lot" would be a bad thing.

In the "cons" list, you can add handling, comfort and back ache.

Crank length might also be on the long side, reducing pedaling efficiency.

I'm assuming it already has a short stem, so not much you can do about the reach - you'll feel like Superman! Fitting some narrower bars might help, if you go for it.

ChrisJD 08 Feb 2022
In reply to CVI:

Really interesting video, thanks for sharing - my bikes are spot on with the reach calculated using their quick check method.  And they do feel perfect size wise.

Contra to what they are saying (in general) though, the bikes are the size as recommended by the manufacturers for my height, and they are current long (ish)-geo bikes.

TheseKnivesMan 11 Feb 2022
In reply to Drew52:

If its only slightly too big for you, a pro is increased stability due to the longer wheelbase. There's a trade off in lack of nimble handling but straight lining will feel slightly better. 

Depends on the type of riding you do. For what I do (natural routes, often just straight lines and semi-chonky) I would go a slightly too big bike over a slightly too small one. You can get a somewhat OTB feeling on very short reach bikes. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...